Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,858 times

Advertisements

A neighbor wants to adopt a dog and found one at a shelter/rescue in New Hampshire. She said she was told she couldn't adopt because she lived in Massachusetts.

Is this true? I volunteer at a no-kill shelter as an adoption rep in Mass. and I've never heard of such a restriction. Can someone please explain? I haven't been able to find the info on my own.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 08:28 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I don't know about NH dog rules, but MA and RI are pretty strict. I've inquired about a few fosters housed in CT and elsewhere and wasn't eligible because of heartworm regulations. I suspect adoption rules might be similarly restricted.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,858 times
Thank you. Sounds like I may have to call the NH State House to ask. I tried finding the answer on their website, but like any governmental site, it's not always user-friendly.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Maybe try asking on the NH state forum. I believe one of the posters there does rescues and she may know something.

Old 01-06-2022, 04:45 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
It is not New Hampshire's call it is Massachusetts. All dogs must be quarantined before they can be adopted into the state. Most out of state rescues do not want to deal with the hassle and expense of that. Massachusetts started this as with the rise in southern rescue dogs being brought up lead to a huge jump in dog diseases, mainly heartworm.

There are plenty of rescues here in Massachusetts following the rules. I just adopted a wonderful dog from here last month
https://dogorphans.com/

Old 01-06-2022, 05:41 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
I remember when our dog came up from Tennessee. She was on a transport with about 50 other dogs and arrived on a Wednesday. They all went into isolation at the rescue and on Saturday, those that could went home with their furever families or their fosters.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:55 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
It is not New Hampshire's call it is Massachusetts. All dogs must be quarantined before they can be adopted into the state. Most out of state rescues do not want to deal with the hassle and expense of that. Massachusetts started this as with the rise in southern rescue dogs being brought up lead to a huge jump in dog diseases, mainly heartworm.

There are plenty of rescues here in Massachusetts following the rules. I just adopted a wonderful dog from here last month
https://dogorphans.com/
Dogs can't get heartworm from other dogs. It's only spread by infected mosquitoes. Could be another disease they are afraid of.

Congratulations on adopting your dog!

Old 01-06-2022, 06:07 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Dogs can't get heartworm from other dogs. It's only spread by infected mosquitoes. Could be another disease they are afraid of.

Congratulations on adopting your dog!
Hmmm....you are right. I was told it was because of the rise in heartworm must be something else as you say!

Old 01-07-2022, 05:08 AM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I've volunteered in rescues in both Massachusetts and Florida and the difficulty adopting from an out of state shelter is indeed due to MA quarantine rules. I never knew the reason, but heartworm makes sense. Although dogs can't get it from other dogs I expect they can still tamp down the spread by identifying the heartwork positive dogs and make sure they get treatment before letting them out into the state to be munched on by mosquitoes. I see it as a compromise to still allow in rescues from other states but trying to mitigate the impact of the spread.

I can't understate how common heartwork is down south. Between cultural differences regarding the care of animals and the number of northerners that move down and only treat their animals for part of the year (down south you have do it year-round due to mosquitoes being year-round), I was astounded at the number that we took in that were heartwork positive in Florida.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:35 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I've volunteered in rescues in both Massachusetts and Florida and the difficulty adopting from an out of state shelter is indeed due to MA quarantine rules. I never knew the reason, but heartworm makes sense. Although dogs can't get it from other dogs I expect they can still tamp down the spread by identifying the heartwork positive dogs and make sure they get treatment before letting them out into the state to be munched on by mosquitoes. I see it as a compromise to still allow in rescues from other states but trying to mitigate the impact of the spread.

I can't understate how common heartwork is down south. Between cultural differences regarding the care of animals and the number of northerners that move down and only treat their animals for part of the year (down south you have do it year-round due to mosquitoes being year-round), I was astounded at the number that we took in that were heartwork positive in Florida.
But if the OP lived in NH, adopted a dog from a NH rescue, moved to Ma. no one is going to tell OP to show the papers of the dog as they cross the border between the states. Even licensing the dog in Ma, all the town cares about is a rabies certificate. People travel back and forth between Ma and NH all the time esp with second homes and bring their dogs. I dont see the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts