Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 02:15 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,122,563 times

Advertisements

I used U.S. Bank to make the purchase and have since refinanced with Lenderfi. Experiences with both were good and comparable. I look at pricing and terms first and institution second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 08:23 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
Check into a credit union. There's a key difference between the nonprofit credit union and the bank that must please stockholders. (Let that sink in, really). I've been with one for 8 years as a loan officer and I have never been busier. Buyer's are walking away from their builder's lender because we are showing them how they can make up that credit in under 7 months in their monthly payment. Just imagine the difference over 30 years. In a rising rate environment, credit unions are almost always your best bet.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:09 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Why stay away from major banks? I went with Chase for my mortgage and it was smooth and easy. They also had a very competitive rate (and way better than DCU's).
I'm glad your mortgage went well. Was it a refinance or a purchase loan?

I've had many bad experiences with big banks and they've nearly cost my clients getting the house they wanted. I've had some smooth transactions with them as well. However, I've had enough rough ones (way more than local banks and CU's) where I feel it's not worth the risk.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:15 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Shop for the lowest rate. I could care less who holds the mortgage.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:10 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm glad your mortgage went well. Was it a refinance or a purchase loan?

I've had many bad experiences with big banks and they've nearly cost my clients getting the house they wanted. I've had some smooth transactions with them as well. However, I've had enough rough ones (way more than local banks and CU's) where I feel it's not worth the risk.
Was a purchase. We explained the time constraints and they didn’t flinch. The biggest scare was getting the appraisal done, but we still closed on time and all’s well that ends well.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Why stay away from major banks? I went with Chase for my mortgage and it was smooth and easy. They also had a very competitive rate (and way better than DCU's).
Quote:
Was a purchase. We explained the time constraints and they didn’t flinch. The biggest scare was getting the appraisal done, but we still closed on time and all’s well that ends well.
The last time I had a client insist on getting a loan from Chase we had to extend the financing contingency multiple times because they were so slow underwriting the loan and then finally they told us they needed one last thing. Without going into detail, let me just say their request was a "poison pill" and there was absolutely no way we could provide what they were asking for until months after the scheduled closing date. Meanwhile, I had the client switch his application to Salem 5 Mortgage and they had it fully underwritten and only pending appraisal in a week.

If not for Salem 5 pulling our fat out of the fire, we would have either had to move forward with no financing contingency and no approved loan or we would have had to cancel the contract. Either way, not a great outcome for my client.

Old 03-12-2022, 03:20 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The last time I had a client insist on getting a loan from Chase we had to extend the financing contingency multiple times because they were so slow underwriting the loan and then finally they told us they needed one last thing. Without going into detail, let me just say their request was a "poison pill" and there was absolutely no way we could provide what they were asking for until months after the scheduled closing date. Meanwhile, I had the client switch his application to Salem 5 Mortgage and they had it fully underwritten and only pending appraisal in a week.

If not for Salem 5 pulling our fat out of the fire, we would have either had to move forward with no financing contingency and no approved loan or we would have had to cancel the contract. Either way, not a great outcome for my client.
Interesting to hear.

I know they’re one of the stricter mortgage lenders, but I’m surprised to hear UW was difficult provided the buyer was qualified. I will agree they their UW was quite thorough in validation of the source of funds, but nothing came our way that wasn’t immediately provable with statements.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:31 AM

875 posts, read 663,172 times
BoA was terrible to deal with - had to extend a closing and nearly lost the property due to their incompetency - sucked in by a low rate and then ridiculous and inconsistent asks given the LTV.

I'm less concerned about who to pick for a refi. - rate is the key driver.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Interesting to hear.

I know they’re one of the stricter mortgage lenders, but I’m surprised to hear UW was difficult provided the buyer was qualified. I will agree they their UW was quite thorough in validation of the source of funds, but nothing came our way that wasn’t immediately provable with statements.
As far as I can remember, my client provided them everything they asked for in an expeditious manner. They just kept asking for more and more. Underwriting at most banks is pretty thorough these days. Laws have been past which keeps more liability with the originating lender than in the past so they're more careful.

I just want to add that in the example I gave this wasn't even a tight timeline they didn't hit. This was a generous timeline and we still needed extensions. Big banks do fine with the super vanilla loan applications. It's when something outside the box or problematic pops up that they trip all over themselves. Helping people buy and sell houses every day, I can say these things pop up all the time and often they're unexpected and unpredictable.

As I said to my client who insisted on using Chase . . . it's great that they promised you these wonderful loan terms but promises are worthless unless there's follow through. Chase was a problem for him at the end of the day and as I said I have a number of other similar stories involving other large banking institutions.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:32 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
Quote:
surprised to hear UW was difficult provided the buyer was qualified.
I'm guessing they weren't. Hence the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts