Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 4,512 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I’ve seen a lot of threads about the dreadful 128/95 commute. A lot of these threads are over 10 years old so I was wondering if anyone had insight or any other ways of getting from the North Shore to Waltham? I am a college student and just accepted a job offer and I really need the experience/title. I’m not sure of the exact hours as the company seems quite flexible with times. The commute is really making me reconsider although I’ve already accepted the offer. I can move closer to Waltham, but with current house prices I would rather wait on that if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 06:39 PM

11,904 posts, read 8,990,771 times
I have only done it pre-pandemic, but I have commuted from Newburyport to Waltham and traffic on Rte 128 was really bad for a highway. I mean, you still do what you gotta do, and I did it for about a year back then (10 years ago).

Old 02-26-2022, 07:43 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,911,819 times
Yeah, it's not a great commute. Silver lining is that you can at least take the 1 highway directly between them without having to worry about switching. Going between 93 and 95 in particular is soul crushing.

Bit confused about the cost of housing argument, though. Isn't it just as bad in Salem as it is in Waltham (or Allston/Brighton maybe as a close but cheaper alternative)? Are you living at home right now?

Another note after looking again at your post: if the company is flexible on start/end times, then that makes the commute much much better. There's always a decent amount of traffic on 128 in my experience but it only gets truly bumper-to-bumper at certain times of day.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:43 AM

518 posts, read 405,463 times
I’m not going to sugar coat—128 is soul crushing. Much like you, I did that commute when I was younger and trying to build my resume after college. I think you’re doing the right thing by paying your dues while you have energy and youth on your side because you couldn’t pay me to do it now. In hindsight, I’m glad I did it when I was 15-20 years younger and had more spring in my step so I could get good experience under my belt and eventually find work closer to home.

Last edited by Remy11; 02-27-2022 at 12:55 AM..

Old 02-27-2022, 08:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,088,627 times
Find someplace really cheap in Waltham, live like a student a few more years and build up that resume and financial cushion. Your future self will thank you.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:48 AM

883 posts, read 530,464 times
The worst part is that traversing the winding local roads - with lots of turns required - between Salem and the highway is even worse than the highway. Especially in winter when local roads are narrowed by walls of icy snow. If you think of the radial highway divisions around Boston as if they were wedges of a grapefruit, each additional wedge you need to cross through or by is another turn in Purgatory, because there is a thick traffic membrane and seeds at each major junction point.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:44 AM

5,973 posts, read 4,957,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
The worst part is that traversing the winding local roads - with lots of turns required - between Salem and the highway is even worse than the highway. Especially in winter when local roads are narrowed by walls of icy snow. If you think of the radial highway divisions around Boston as if they were wedges of a grapefruit, each additional wedge you need to cross through or by is another turn in Purgatory, because there is a thick traffic membrane and seeds at each major junction point.
Good analogy. I'm surprised at how often Waze steers me into impossible left turns, when it takes me through back roads like that. You can waste a lot of time waiting for an opening to turn safely, all the while incurring the wrath of drivers behind you.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:07 PM

883 posts, read 530,464 times
It pays to have driven manual transmission for many years, as you develop street/road instincts about how to keep moving and avoid riding the clutch being stuck in a waiting position. Those skills make a huge difference here. It may help explain why, the first time I went to Rome (Italy, not NY), the driving culture was quite intelligible to me.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Yeah, it's not a great commute. Silver lining is that you can at least take the 1 highway directly between them without having to worry about switching. Going between 93 and 95 in particular is soul crushing.

Bit confused about the cost of housing argument, though. Isn't it just as bad in Salem as it is in Waltham (or Allston/Brighton maybe as a close but cheaper alternative)? Are you living at home right now?

Another note after looking again at your post: if the company is flexible on start/end times, then that makes the commute much much better. There's always a decent amount of traffic on 128 in my experience but it only gets truly bumper-to-bumper at certain times of day.
Thank you!! Yes, I literally get anxiety thinking about 93 to 95. I purchased a home in Salem literally right before COVID so I got lucky, but I can't stand living here because of how far it is from everything. I just can't justify buying right now as much as I would love to!!

Old 02-28-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
I’m not going to sugar coat—128 is soul crushing. Much like you, I did that commute when I was younger and trying to build my resume after college. I think you’re doing the right thing by paying your dues while you have energy and youth on your side because you couldn’t pay me to do it now. In hindsight, I’m glad I did it when I was 15-20 years younger and had more spring in my step so I could get good experience under my belt and eventually find work closer to home.
Thank you so much!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts