U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,053 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be moving to Massachusetts from a large city in the Midwest; we have been offering on homes since January. We have been considering Winchester, Melrose, Reading… starter and long term homes… have lost all offers thus far (and yes they have all been very aggressive offers). Our range is 1-1.3 and we’ve started broadening our search criteria.

Which has lead us to Lynnfield, a town we’ve been to and like a lot. Ideally we would want a town with a commuter rail as my partner will be working in the city but we are willing to compromise at this point with how crazy the market is.

My question is- we are a young, progressive couple, more left leaning but we are also open minded to all kinds of neighbors and always have been. I know Lynnfield historically is a more conservative town, and we don’t have any issues with that. We are however curious if the town is trending in a more progressive direction or if there’s a chance we’d feel a bit out of place.

Thanks for any input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 04:33 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,208,044 times
Rent some snazzy place for a year and spend that time doing some recon while hoping that the housing market crashes?

Old 04-16-2022, 04:49 PM

554 posts, read 686,030 times
I would say the town is 70% I don't know how they vote/feel (aka don't wear their politics on their sleeve which is great) with the other 30% split roughly between vocal progressives and conservatives.

The vocal groups are the most left and right leaning respectively.

you wouldnt be an outlier regardless of which way you lean.

-have lived in town for >5y.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:16 PM

3,541 posts, read 6,805,875 times
I've lived here for 17 years, my wife has been a teacher in town for well over 20 years.

Lynnfield is increasingly left leaning. This is happening fairly rapidly as more liberal buyers are being priced out of communities closer to Boston.

Plenty of gay couples in town, some with children and some without. I don't think you would have any concerns here, just take care of your lawn and don't paint your house a silly color.

The Lynnfield market is every bit as competitive as the other towns you mentioned, with even less inventory, so your struggle may continue here too.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:16 AM

4,996 posts, read 4,104,995 times
I believe Lynnfield is mostly septic, unless I'm mistaken. Just bear this in mind.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:07 PM

3,776 posts, read 1,570,959 times
Bring your wallet.

Old 04-17-2022, 04:31 PM

277 posts, read 148,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I believe Lynnfield is mostly septic, unless I'm mistaken. Just bear this in mind.
Yeah it is (almost) all septic, I think. But the same is true for many other upper middle class towns in the suburbs.

Personally I avoid septic tanks and oil heating, but I know many people don't care.

Old 04-17-2022, 04:45 PM

41,489 posts, read 33,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I've lived here for 17 years, my wife has been a teacher in town for well over 20 years.

Lynnfield is increasingly left leaning. This is happening fairly rapidly as more liberal buyers are being priced out of communities closer to Boston.

Plenty of gay couples in town, some with children and some without. I don't think you would have any concerns here, just take care of your lawn and don't paint your house a silly color.

The Lynnfield market is every bit as competitive as the other towns you mentioned, with even less inventory, so your struggle may continue here too.
Didn't see the OP mentioning their orientation, but that's nice.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:00 PM

4,408 posts, read 3,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Didn't see the OP mentioning their orientation, but that's nice.
Had the same thought.

OP - Melrose and Lynnfield are drastically different places. Both great, but very different.

What kind of town do you want? Dense, walkable? Suburban, more land?

Nail that down and stick to it. Don’t make a concession on the type of town.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:46 AM

13,772 posts, read 12,808,456 times
ER

My advice would be to rent in Reading, North Reading, Wakefield, etc. for one year. I can assure you that your buying decision will be wiser at the end of that year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts