U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 10:44 AM

4,645 posts, read 3,299,970 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into Worcester? Is it really that much more then Springfield? I live in Worcester car free and I am surviving quite nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 04:01 PM

343 posts, read 120,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Providence could be a very good option; Rhode Island is solid, Providence is far more walkable than West Springfield, Chicopee, even Springfield. It's known to be artsy and has theatre; I'm not sure about music but being on the commuter rail to Boston you can always go there for Handel & Haydn, Early Music Festival, recitals at Jordan Hall or Longy or at BU Concert Hall, Symphony, Ben Zander's Boston Philharmonic, Emmanuel music, etc.

Just a quick search and East Providence has a professional symphony orchestra. There is also a Baroque performance group that performs on period instruments (I would love that so much!) that performs in Newport. I'm not sure how accessible Newport is from Providence, though.

Either way, you're right. Providence is close enough to Boston to go there for the amazing classical and early music performances which is the dream for me.

Quote:
Buffalo NY would be nice and cold and walkable and inexpensive and it's in N.Y. State (although twice as far from NYC as Boston is). Cleveland Ohio would be a natural for music lovers with the Cleveland Orchestra but Ohio is too red.

Buffalo is very far away from everything. But they do have their own professional orchestra, too, it seems.

I have been to Cleveland, OH, actually. A decade ago or so on a trip with my then university's symphony orchestra. We got to go to the hall there, listen to advice from the orchestra members, rehearse and then watch the orchestra do one of their performances.

Nevertheless, the fact is that, as you said, Ohio is practically a red state now. There's no guarantee of rights there. Plus it's midwest. Too many tornadoes. In fact, Cleveland itself was under a tornado watch yesterday evening and there were tornado warnings very close by. I don't know if any tornado warning came over the city proper, but too close for comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Have you looked into Worcester? Is it really that much more then Springfield? I live in Worcester car free and I am surviving quite nicely.

I did a quick search of cost of living comparisons and Worcester is an increase for me. Not as bad as a lot of areas, but, I mean, relatively speaking it's cost of living is closer to Northampton than it is where I live.

I don't know anything about the Worcester suburbs as I don't recall having heard much of them, as well.

Cost of living calculators can only do so much, though. Thanks for letting me know that it is manageable without a car.

Old 05-04-2022, 04:18 PM

2,066 posts, read 980,361 times
https://www.bso.org/special-ticket-o...o-college-card - definitely get this if you end anywhere near Boston and have a college ID.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:57 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,978,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I don't know anything about the Worcester suburbs as I don't recall having heard much of them, as well.

The Worcester suburbs are pretty spread out and the public transit spotty. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are looking in the city itself.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:59 AM

24,230 posts, read 17,138,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The Worcester suburbs are pretty spread out and the public transit spotty. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are looking in the city itself.
I just clicked on a bus stop on Route 9 in Shrewsbury over the bridge from UMass Medical thinking that would be the sweet spot for suburbia next to Worcester. Bus route 15. It’s hourly service. That’s awful. West Springfield was every 20 minutes. Even down here in West Portugal walkable from my house, it’s every 30 minutes. I imagine that rents in Shrewsbury aren’t cheap, either.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:50 AM

9,077 posts, read 14,459,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Providence may be your spot. Springfield is a very gay friendly city and there are many gay couples living there, but the city is on life support and western MA is the step child of MA. The Providence economy isn't leaps and bounds beyond but it's more populous and is the state capitol. It also boasts a large and active LGBT community and is an easy train ride to Boston and points North as well as CT and NY. It's also very easy to get to the coast. Housing is a little more than Springfield but I think most other costs are comparable. I think you'll find a much better quality of life there if it comes down to those two cities.
I don't know why you keep recommending Providence. You must not be up on what's been happening here. We've been inundated by Boston and NYC refugees looking for " a lower cost of living".

We now have, as the OP correctly correctly surmised, a high cost of living for anything other than a crime ridden slum area. If you see a low rent here, it's for a good reason. The type of walkable neighborhood the OP needs will be very high rent and there is a serious housing shortage here with competition for apartments- overbidding, required credit score of 700+, etc.

OP, you need to personally visit potential locales in New England before making any kind of decision. No way around it!

Old 05-05-2022, 07:08 AM

4,573 posts, read 2,218,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I don't know why you keep recommending Providence. You must not be up on what's been happening here. We've been inundated by Boston and NYC refugees looking for " a lower cost of living".

We now have, as the OP correctly correctly surmised, a high cost of living for anything other than a crime ridden slum area. If you see a low rent here, it's for a good reason. The type of walkable neighborhood the OP needs will be very high rent and there is a serious housing shortage here with competition for apartments- overbidding, required credit score of 700+, etc.

OP, you need to personally visit potential locales in New England before making any kind of decision. No way around it!
I'm comparing Providence to the areas that were originally proposed both in costs and quality of life. I'm also comparing it to bigger more economically thriving areas like Greater Boston. I don't know what the OP's specific budget is and neither do you, but I presume that adults posting here are able to make their own decisions based on additional research. She may also be able to find (if she wants) a place owned or rented by someone who is LGBT looking for similar to either rent to or share. I'll suggest whatever I damn well please. You're more than welcome to suggest whatever you please.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:16 AM

12,036 posts, read 21,061,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I just clicked on a bus stop on Route 9 in Shrewsbury over the bridge from UMass Medical thinking that would be the sweet spot for suburbia next to Worcester. Bus route 15. It’s hourly service. That’s awful. West Springfield was every 20 minutes. Even down here in West Portugal walkable from my house, it’s every 30 minutes. I imagine that rents in Shrewsbury aren’t cheap, either.
Even though I definitely wouldn't recommend living without a car in the Springfield suburbs, the Pioneer Valley Transit Authority is actually a pretty good regional transit authority for a small metro area.

Old 05-05-2022, 02:03 PM

24,230 posts, read 17,138,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Even though I definitely wouldn't recommend living without a car in the Springfield suburbs, the Pioneer Valley Transit Authority is actually a pretty good regional transit authority for a small metro area.
It’s challenging trying to find affordable dense suburban just outside the city with good bus service and easy access to things like grocery stores and medical.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:30 PM

9,077 posts, read 14,459,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I'm comparing Providence to the areas that were originally proposed both in costs and quality of life. I'm also comparing it to bigger more economically thriving areas like Greater Boston. I don't know what the OP's specific budget is and neither do you, but I presume that adults posting here are able to make their own decisions based on additional research. She may also be able to find (if she wants) a place owned or rented by someone who is LGBT looking for similar to either rent to or share. I'll suggest whatever I damn well please. You're more than welcome to suggest whatever you please.
I'm simply providing her with the current truth of the situation since I live here. No need to swear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts