Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 12:13 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times

Advertisements

Autocorrect was a little bit odd. Basically this person was living in Northampton and she was priced out and moved to Springfield because the property owners could extract more revenue from students as renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 03:21 PM

17 posts, read 9,605 times
Our current tax situation is $6k. I looked at a couple places that would be in our projected price range in Northampton and it seems like it would be a less. NJ’s taxes are crazy and we’re actually on the low end of it. Maybe in other parts of the state it feels worth it but we’re in a semi-rural area and it doesn’t seem like we get much here besides paved roads and trash pickup.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:33 AM

Northampton folks - What’s up with utilities and services in the area?

How reliable is the electric service? Ours goes out constantly with brownouts in the summer, and flickers a few times a day. When we have a good storm it’s almost guaranteed to go out for at least two hours. We had a pretty rough couple of hurricane seasons so we’ve had a few bouts of the electric being out for days when the majority of people on the same grid didn’t experience a blackout like ours at all lol. I swear we’re in a forgotten part of the state or something, or I’m just cynical at this point, idk.

I rely on internet for work - any complaints with that? Do you have a choice in providers or do you have one main company that services the whole area?

Is everyone on city water and sewer or are there wells and septic scattered throughout too? Anything to look out for? Before we settled on our current home and were looking for a property here in NJ we had to do a lot of research into pesticide/herbicide/chemical runoff in the water tables from farms and superfund/contaminated sites. Is that an issue there?

On another note, what can you tell me about Florence? We’re curious about it.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:23 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchpine View Post
Our current tax situation is $6k. I looked at a couple places that would be in our projected price range in Northampton and it seems like it would be a less. NJ’s taxes are crazy and we’re actually on the low end of it. Maybe in other parts of the state it feels worth it but we’re in a semi-rural area and it doesn’t seem like we get much here besides paved roads and trash pickup.
My parents moved out of Ridgewood, NJ in, oh I don't know, 1987/88? Something like that. At that time their property taxes were 13K/year. I can't even imagine what the tax rate for that property is today. They moved from Ridgewood to Ho-Ho-Kus and then Wyckoff which were a bit less, but still crazy.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:37 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
Quote:

How reliable is the electric service? Ours goes out constantly with brownouts in the summer, and flickers a few times a day. When we have a good storm it’s almost guaranteed to go out for at least two hours. We had a pretty rough couple of hurricane seasons so we’ve had a few bouts of the electric being out for days when the majority of people on the same grid didn’t experience a blackout like ours at all lol. I swear we’re in a forgotten part of the state or something, or I’m just cynical at this point, idk.

I rely on internet for work - any complaints with that? Do you have a choice in providers or do you have one main company that services the whole area?

Is everyone on city water and sewer or are there wells and septic scattered throughout too? Anything to look out for? Before we settled on our current home and were looking for a property here in NJ we had to do a lot of research into pesticide/herbicide/chemical runoff in the water tables from farms and superfund/contaminated sites. Is that an issue there?

Since I've lived here, I've lost power in storms a few times, but typically only for a few hours. There may have been one time when it was overnight, I can't really remember. Our electricity is all above ground, so it is a risk, but in my experience, it really hasn't been so bad.

Internet most likely depends on the service you choose. I have xFinity/Comcast and my internet is excellent. I just retired, but before that I was working from home with no issues at all. I was also doing Zoom French lessons for a while and my French tutor even commented about how much better my internet seemed to be than most of his other students. Anyway, I was able to work remotely without interruption, TV, streaming, Peloton machines, etc. all with no problem. I don't game, so I can't speak to that, but I think that would be fine too.

Most people in Northampton and Florence are on city water and sewer. There may be some private systems in the Leeds area, but I think it's generally rare. Additionally, we have natural gas here, which can't always be assumed in New England. Some homes, however, may be on oil or other types of heat, so that might be something that you look out for, if it's a concern.

Florence is part of Northampton, essentially an in-town suburb (it's a Massachusetts thing) and is actually where I live. The thing that is great about Florence is that it's quieter and you typically get a little more property and it should be a little less expensive than the homes closer to downtown Northampton. It also has it's own downtown area that is very easy to bop in-and-out of for some errands, a quick bagel, takeout, hardware store, etc. without having to deal with the busier Northampton downtown. We also have one of the bike paths that cuts right through Florence downtown too and Look Park which is an excellent, big park with lots of attractions. Additionally, Florence has family events such as parades, outdoor concerts, Florence Night Out, Elks Club events and the like. It's a very nice place to live and great for families.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:40 AM

325 posts, read 925,565 times
Quote:

We have not had issues with electric (National Grid). Occasionally there might be a storm issues or something that knocks power out for a brief time, but nothing too frequent or unusual.

We have Comcast for internet, which is fine for me. I don't think there are many choices. The City has been exploring municipal broadband.

Outskirt areas may have wells and/or septic, but public water and sewer closer to more built up areas. I Haven't heard of any groundwater issues/contamination. Most public water comes from reservoirs to the north, in a sparsely developed area (no industry anywhere near them and no upstream farms of any consequence)

Florence is a city village with a pretty strong identity of its own. The center is not as hopping as downtown Northampton, but it is perfectly fine. For some reason, it has a high concentration of pizza joints. Florence proper is a pretty walkable area, outer areas less so. Regardless where you live in Northampton, if you have kids, you'll spend enough time in/through Florence between Look Park, the Middle School, and Florence fields (if your kids play soccer or baseball). Homes might be slightly cheaper there, but not much. Two elementary schools serve Florence, though you could choice to any school in the City.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:13 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Look park is VERY nice. I didn't even know it existed for years. It is a private park but they have events and the groundskeeping is fantastic. I wouldn't say it's as big as Forest Park but they certainly pay for more in terms of what they can get done

https://www.lookpark.org/

Old 08-19-2022, 08:48 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,529 times
https://redf.in/pmfKnj - this is very affordable for Northampton though makes you wonder what the inspection uncovered to have it drop from $500K to $350K.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:08 AM

I love the web of bike paths throughout the area. That’s something we don’t have here but wish we did. We enjoy pizza, probably a bit too much, so that’s fine with me. Look Park is on our list of things to visit in October too, so we’ll have to take our time in town and see how it feels. My husband really likes the idea of Florence and having Northampton only a short distance away.

Thanks everyone! I feel satisfied for now. I’ll probably have some more questions from time to time, but I want to try to wait until we make our way up there and check it out. I feel like a lot of the little questions we have will be answered then. Can’t wait!

Old 08-19-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
https://redf.in/pmfKnj - this is very affordable for Northampton though makes you wonder what the inspection uncovered to have it drop from $500K to $350K.
I saw that! It seems like a lot of houses I’ve looked at since starting to think about Northampton have gone up for sale and then sold almost instantly, too. Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts