Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 01:45 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,298,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchpine View Post
I saw that! It seems like a lot of houses I’ve looked at since starting to think about Northampton have gone up for sale and then sold almost instantly, too. Hmmm.
Inventory is pretty tight. If the house isn't overpriced and there are no major issues with the house, it doesn't stay on the market here for very long. This is the case for a lot of places right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 12:35 PM

724 posts, read 1,004,320 times
I am glad I found this discussion on the western part of the state.

I lived in Brookline for over 20 years and retired out to Arizona. I never should have sold my condo in Brookline since now I cannot afford to go back there. We really want to be back in Massachusetts since we miss our family and have only been able to get back for a visit once because of Covid. My son lives in Kingston but prices down that way are insane now.

I have quite a few friends in the Northampton/ Amherst area so we have been looking in that area. We, however, are not looking for a house at our age. (70's). Over 55 condos and townhomes seem to be few and far between. But there are a few and that is what we are hoping to find.

If anyone has any suggestions for me I would love to hear them. We like living near a town/bike path/ walk to shopping if possible.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:10 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
I am glad I found this discussion on the western part of the state.

I lived in Brookline for over 20 years and retired out to Arizona. I never should have sold my condo in Brookline since now I cannot afford to go back there. We really want to be back in Massachusetts since we miss our family and have only been able to get back for a visit once because of Covid. My son lives in Kingston but prices down that way are insane now.

I have quite a few friends in the Northampton/ Amherst area so we have been looking in that area. We, however, are not looking for a house at our age. (70's). Over 55 condos and townhomes seem to be few and far between. But there are a few and that is what we are hoping to find.

If anyone has any suggestions for me I would love to hear them. We like living near a town/bike path/ walk to shopping if possible.
Age restricted condos are as scarce as hens' teeth. I have a friend who is looking to sell her house and downsize to a condo. There is one gorgeous place in Southampton and it would be affordable to someone who has a house to sell but the downside is a nearby by shooting range. If the bang-bang-bang all day doesn't bother you, then maybe you should check it out. The town is more or less rural so you would have to drive to Easthampton for groceries and shops. A little bit further and you'd be in Northampton. Other than that, I'm sorry but I don't know.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:07 PM

724 posts, read 1,004,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Age restricted condos are as scarce as hens' teeth. I have a friend who is looking to sell her house and downsize to a condo. There is one gorgeous place in Southampton and it would be affordable to someone who has a house to sell but the downside is a nearby by shooting range. If the bang-bang-bang all day doesn't bother you, then maybe you should check it out. The town is more or less rural so you would have to drive to Easthampton for groceries and shops. A little bit further and you'd be in Northampton. Other than that, I'm sorry but I don't know.
That is what I was afraid of. There are a couple of places that have yet to be built but most of them are already sold out. A shooting range would be a deal breaker for me.

We almost retired out to Great Barrington but instead chose Arizona for the weather. Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda.

We'll think of something.....

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:37 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,298,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
How close to the shooting range is it? I live about 1/2 a mile from the Northampton shooting range and it hasn't bothered me at all, I was afraid that it might. I can hear the shooting, but I don't find it disruptive and I tend to be sensitive to noise, PTSD from living in city apartment for so much of my life.

Old 08-25-2022, 07:26 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
How close to the shooting range is it? I live about 1/2 a mile from the Northampton shooting range and it hasn't bothered me at all, I was afraid that it might. I can hear the shooting, but I don't find it disruptive and I tend to be sensitive to noise, PTSD from living in city apartment for so much of my life.
I only visited someone there once so I don't know. We could only hear the noise when we were sitting on her patio. My friend in Easthampton was thinking of selling her house but this past weekend she said she can't find a condo and that she wouldn't be able to stand the noise at that Southampton condo. I wonder if there are patios that don't face the woods with the shooting.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:39 AM

2,441 posts, read 4,859,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
That is what I was afraid of. There are a couple of places that have yet to be built but most of them are already sold out. A shooting range would be a deal breaker for me.

We almost retired out to Great Barrington but instead chose Arizona for the weather. Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda.

We'll think of something.....

Thanks for your input.
Loomis communities in Holyoke, South Hadley and Amherst have assisted living but also age restricted apartments and townhouses without assistance. It’s a nonprofit so costs are lower than some.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:24 AM

7,942 posts, read 7,863,802 times
To soda mentioned a few other things here. Originally it was said about school districts. I could also make the argument that there are private schools in Western Massachusetts as well as Charter that if you have some issues with Public Schools they can be an option. Pope Francis hs in Springfield looks very nice.

With respect to a rifle range I grew up near one on the South Shore for decades and I did hear it on a regular basis. I would also argue that technically speaking it does not qualify as hunting and therefore can be conducted on Sundays. Eventually it became more like a white noise. Although this can also be a reason for the legalization of silencers in the state. I met a manufacturer and that is one of their intentions is to go after that client
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts