Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 11:17 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times

Advertisements

I'm not joking when I say there must be more dogs than kids here.

It's getting annoying since there are so many people out walking their dogs that there are enough who don't leash them that it's becoming a safety issue. I'm surprised I haven't seen massive numbers of dog bites reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 11:42 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
cheaper than kids. Nowhere is more expensive to raise a kid than MA. When you exclude immigrants its gotta a bottom 3 birthrate. Gold Retriever season.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:03 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
It does seem like most families I know have a dog in addition to their kids. Then countless other folks without kids have dogs as well.

I don't find it to be an annoyance at all personally. When walking down the street anyone I come across has their dog leashed. If i go to the beach, parks or forest people tend to still keep dogs on leash and those that don't seem to have well behaved dogs.

I did hear a story recently from a friend who had her kid over a mutual friends house and the dog attacked her son. This is a huge dog who is very territorial. They had put him away somewhere but he got loose and attacked her 8 year old. Kid had to get 15-20 stitches. The people said they would get rid of the dog but they haven't.

I see news stories here and there of dogs biting people...but having a dog is a responsibility. You can't just get one and hope it trains itself.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:44 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the number of dogs in the area rose slightly during the pandemic. I haven't seen an increase in unleashed dogs, particularly where I live.

What has definitely skyrocketed recently is the pearl clutching about dogs and their owners. I know of a few neighborhood places which quietly allowed well behaved dogs on their patios, who have had to stop doing so thanks to Karens narcing to the city. It's laughable. I wonder if these people have ever spent time in another country.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:55 PM

The rules for dogs have certainly increased. Anytime a dog is spotted somewhere without a leash in my town someone posts about in on the town facebook page saying things like missing dog, etc. I can see why there are leash laws...but dogs like to run around too. My fear is that if my dog is off a leash he could be hit by a car...not that he would bother a Karen.

I still see plenty of No Dogs signs which is interesting because dogs are cleaner than many people. Lots of no dog signs at the beach yet people leave behind all sorts of trash and on certain beaches cause plenty of problems.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:02 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
The no dogs on the beach has a little to do with the waste issue, but more to do with wildlife protection, especially shorebirds and their nesting habitats.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:04 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The no dogs on the beach has a little to do with the waste issue, but more to do with wildlife protection, especially shorebirds and their nesting habitats.
Not sure if that's always the case. I can think of beaches that don't allow dogs memorial day through labor day and there don't appear to be any nesting birds there.

The beach near me does have plovers and they dont allow people in certain parts during certain months so that I can see.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
I never said "always the case" (and actually included another reason showing that it isn't "always the case"), and there are several other protected species beyond our few plover species. Of course, like with terns, a layperson is not going to see a nest as it is little more than a scrape with lots of shore nesting species (and is actually called a scrape). But go ahead and argue if you feel the need.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:16 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I never said "always the case" (and actually included another reason showing that it isn't "always the case"), and there are several other protected species beyond our few plover species. Of course, like with terns, a layperson is not going to see a nest as it is little more than a scrape with lots of shore nesting species (and is actually called a scrape). But go ahead and argue if you feel the need.
You always feed the need. I'm good.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:34 PM

10,027 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Our beach on Hilton Head doesn't allow dogs at certain times of the day, like after 8 am and before 5. Not sure how that helps the birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts