Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 08:45 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I feel most people voted no to keep beer and wine out of Market Baskets

So a remove the cap entirely would probably fail
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 08:45 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Most people like to support local businesses and local liquor store owners were the ones behind this ballot question. I'm thinking they just didn't do a good job of advertising who it was that was behind this question and who it supported. I'm sure most people read it and thought it was just about expanding liquor licenses.

I agree with Jay though . . . the demonization of alcohol in this state is ridiculous. I remember 10 years ago when Needham voted to repeal it's "dry town" laws. The way some people were talking you'd have thought every teen in town was destined to become an alcoholic and the town would be overrun by homeless people instantly. These ideas were absolutely ludicrous of course and the addition of these liquor stores to town has been very positive.

I guarantee you that's next because that's what Total Wine wants to happen. This ballot question was viewed by local stores as a compromise which would prevent the cap from being lifted and it would give them a chance to continue to compete with places like Total Wine.

Chief, no one particularly wants this type of store in their town. However while Total Wine seems great on the surface, just know they're not the Wal Mart of the liquor world. When they move into an area and eventually put their competition out of business that's when they raise the prices. So, low prices are just a temporary thing. They'll do it for up to 10 years if necessary to put their competition out of business. It's their business model.

Personally, I would prefer a ballot question asking if the state should take over liquor distribution and perhaps even liquor sales like it's done in NH.
Wait, what? Got a proof of that happening anywhere or are you just fear mongering?

As for local packies I'd take a $17.99 evil corporate Total Wine KBS over $26.99 packie KBS any day of the week.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:48 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Homie, could it be because people prefer large, clean stores like Total Wines, with good selection and even better prices, over extremely overpriced, run-down corner packies that sell forties, nips, scratchies and blunts?
Then they would have voted yes, right?

For the first time- I'm with you on this one. I don't know why you're saying that's why they voted "no" though.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:15 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They should still have the grocery stores (S&S, Wegmans...) to compete with, no? I'm totally fine with all the local package stores going out of business. While I'm 100% a small business person, these places contribute zero to their community.
I would imagine the grocery stores would be competition when it comes to B&W. Most states I've visited seem to only sell spirits at liquor stores for the most part because everyone gets their B&W at the grocery store. Our archaic liquor laws and the demonization of alcohol in this state prevented us from enjoying similar conveniences.

I have no great love for the local package stores. Their prices are usually through the roof. The more medium size chains like Yankee Spirits are nice to shop in and there are definitely some great single stores as well but little corner stores that sell alcohol are terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Wait, what? Got a proof of that happening anywhere or are you just fear mongering?

As for local packies I'd take a $17.99 evil corporate Total Wine KBS over $26.99 packie KBS any day of the week.
I'm just passing along what I've been told by Total Wine employees. This is their MO and they follow it in every state they go into. When TW puts all the little packies out of business you'll just be paying them $27 for your KBS instead. At least the shopping experience will be more pleasant.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:49 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

For the first time- I'm with you on this one. I don't know why you're saying that's why they voted "no" though.
No helps large retailers like total wines, yes help packies.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:02 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Just remember the weed licenses is kinda linked to the number of alcohol

https://digboston.com/could-this-eve...nses-for-mass/

Old 11-10-2022, 01:07 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Just remember the weed licenses is kinda linked to the number of alcohol

https://digboston.com/could-this-eve...nses-for-mass/
There are tons of dispensaries already. Drive down RT9 in Framingham lately? You can barely go 1/4 mile without seeing another one.

I have no doubt the next ballot question we're voting on will be to remove the cap on licenses entirely and it will be backed by Total Wine and maybe Cumby's too if they're still interested in selling B&W.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:43 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Total Wine was against this proposal because it would have limited the number of locations they could have until another proposal could come along in IIRC in 2031.

There are two different licenses - beer and wine or full. One entity can hold a mix of them. The law which as it stands allows for one entity to hold up to 9 licenses and all 9 can be full.

The proposal offered to raise the number of total licenses held by one entity to 18 but no one entity could hold more than 7 full licenses. Raising to total to 18 was to appease the grocery and convenience stores and gas stations markets who are interested in beer and wine. Reducing the number of full licenses was to limit Total Wine's ability to enter the market.

That's why they opposed question 3.

There will probably be another attempt to raise the numbers in 2024.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:35 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
FYI

Here is SC a liquor store can, by law, only be open 9AM to 7PM and not on Sunday nor on Easter nor Christmas Day. They cannot sell beer but they can sell wine which few do. The crossing point is alcohol per volume. Grocery stores can sell beer and wine and in many counties, 24/7. Some counties still forbid beer and wine sales on Sunday but they are disappearing fast.

The big stores like Total Wine have one main entrance then two other entrances. One for liquor and one for beer and wine. Their beer and wine section is open 9AM to 9PM, 7 days a week. This section could stay open longer but they see no value in doing so.

Also in SC, one person/company can not hold more then 4?? liquor sales licenses thus limiting the super stores like Total Wine but here are "legal workarounds".

Me, I would allow 24/7 sales of anything alcoholic but that is just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts