Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 02:47 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times

Advertisements

Our contractor took forever but they finally completed the remodel attic, put in a new shower there, remodel the master bath, installed a back deck and updated half the electrical and installed two mini split systems. But they also recently installed a back glass French door and updated the water faucet in the master bath. I am not happy with the faucet in the bath as it is not flushed with the wall….so the bill due for the French glass door will not be paid until I am happy with the faucet. You need to be tough or they will ride all over you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 12:16 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Not to speak to all big box stores but it is not uncommon for them to send someone (inspector) out to look at the job before giving a final quote. Often they will charge for this visit (less then $100) and will take the visit cost off the final quote if you go a ahead with their quote.

I had one experience with Lowes. The in store person gave me an estimate on tiling my screen porch floor. The "inspector" said they would not do the job without an underlayment which nearly doubled the price. I said I know several that did such without an underlayment including DIY at another house. He said as Lowes was guaranteeing the job the only way they could do it was is if the underlayment was used due to potential cracking. I did not go ahead with the job. What I did is had indoor/outdoor carpeting installed. As it is a screen porch, the carpet does get somewhat exposed to the elements. I just had it replaced after 6 years.

Old 11-07-2022, 05:27 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
I deposited $2500 for a new roof back in July. The contractor originally estimated to do the job in October. They claim the delay is due to the supply chain/labor shortage. I asked when they expect to start but they say they'll only give 2-3 days notice. Should I be concerned?

Old 11-07-2022, 06:12 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I deposited $2500 for a new roof back in July. The contractor originally estimated to do the job in October. They claim the delay is due to the supply chain/labor shortage. I asked when they expect to start but they say they'll only give 2-3 days notice. Should I be concerned?
Depends on the reputation of the contractor. As a general rule I try to know my exit options before agreeing to a deal.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:01 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Quote:
We had a new roof put on a house back over the summer. When we put a deposit (20%?), the roofers contract required job start w/in a specified time frame (maybe 10 days? I don't recall, but its besides the point). Is there anything like this in the contract w/ the roofer? 3-4 months sitting on a deposit is on the long side, IMO. Are they doing other jobs?

Old 11-07-2022, 11:17 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
We had a new roof put on a house back over the summer. When we put a deposit (20%?), the roofers contract required job start w/in a specified time frame (maybe 10 days? I don't recall, but its besides the point). Is there anything like this in the contract w/ the roofer? 3-4 months sitting on a deposit is on the long side, IMO. Are they doing other jobs?
Yes they do many roofs and said the rain last month has made them fall behind schedule. They get good reviews.

Old 11-07-2022, 06:16 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
I put a $2000 deposit down w/a landscaping contractor for a project back in mid June. They just got to mine the last week of September. I was told that a few crew members got Covid and that put them behind, then it was a rainy stretch we had that put them behind. However, I imagine they must have been booked pretty solid. At least these folks actually showed up and did a good job. Seems to be few and far between these days with any type of contractor who actually shows up and does a quality job. It was worth the wait in the end.

That was actually my one gripe is that they couldn't give me a specific week they expected to start the job, just said they'd call 2-3 days in advance. I called their office mid July and they had no scheduling time frame yet. Then, I called end of August and they still couldn't tell me, then the trucks just rolled up one day during the last week of September with no advance notice!

Old 11-08-2022, 04:58 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
There have been shortages of labor and material, not to say what happened is fair but let me say a few things.

To just get someone to trim a tree for me took about a month last year. I had to get an attempt to get three quotes. First one said he'd get a tree guy and didn't say anything, second just said nope and walked away, the third did it via subcontractor. I had more gutters put on. The first set was fine with no issues. The second set I found out was not angled and as a result the water sat there. I had to pay another company a small amount as the original contractor left town. The company is in his fathers name in florida. I found supposedly his address and wrote to him about my money back for the fix, not the installation.

Landscaping I hear is backed up a bit sometimes months.

If a legit contractor has a delay they should say why they are being delayed an a expectation of when. On the box store subject I can tell you having worked for them usually there's what's called a detail that is refunded. It's a measurement of what is to be done. Believe it or not some think they can measure and many contractors don't want to work with that

From what I have seen lately is that whoever wants to get work done is buying the materials and will deal with the labor later. My neighbor did the roof of his garage but the crew didn't have time to do the rest of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: