Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 07:33 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,731,729 times

Advertisements

What's the lowest temperature the thermostat should be to prevent pipes from freezing? If we leave town, the lowest we put it is 50 degrees. With the cost of heating going up, should we go any lower?

When I rented in my 20s, I never thought about this stuff and would often have the heat completely off. Luckily the pipes never froze while I rented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 07:42 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,124,258 times
It really depends where the pipe is located. Are the ones most exposed to cold in a temperature controlled area? 50 is well above 32 so you’re okay there. The pipes most exposed to cold should be shut off, drained, and the faucet left half open. If they can’t be shut off, you can put some insulation around the pipes and open the faucet so that there’s a slow drip.

If you leave town, shut off the main line.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:22 PM

3,609 posts, read 1,836,365 times
Is it really worth the risk of potentially thousands in damage to your home versus spending a little to keep the heat on when you're away, even if it is a bit higher than necessary, so you don't have to even chance a frozen pipe issue?

Old 11-17-2022, 08:24 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,731,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Is it really worth the risk of potentially thousands in damage to your home versus spending a little to keep the heat on when you're away, even if it is a bit higher than necessary, so you don't have to even chance a frozen pipe issue?
I am keeping the heat on, just wondering what temperature to use.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:29 PM

3,609 posts, read 1,836,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I keep it at 60 when I'm away and if it costs me an extra few $$ in oil to heat a vacant house but guarantees me no frozen pipes so be it.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:48 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
It really depends where the pipe is located. Are the ones most exposed to cold in a temperature controlled area? 50 is well above 32 so you’re okay there. The pipes most exposed to cold should be shut off, drained, and the faucet left half open. If they can’t be shut off, you can put some insulation around the pipes and open the faucet so that there’s a slow drip.

If you leave town, shut off the main line.
Totally agree with this location dependency - temperature inside the wall is usually not the same as the temperature in the room, plus, different rooms may have different temperatures inside them, if the pipes are in an outside wall, facing the prevailing wind, in a room with undersized registers/radiators (worst case) - that wall will likely be quite a different temperature than an interior wall in a well heated room.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:53 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
What's the lowest temperature the thermostat should be to prevent pipes from freezing? If we leave town, the lowest we put it is 50 degrees. With the cost of heating going up, should we go any lower?

When I rented in my 20s, I never thought about this stuff and would often have the heat completely off. Luckily the pipes never froze while I rented.
I think the only way I’d go lower is with good remote monitoring near crucial points. If you’re handy with electronics that can be done cheaply or commercial solutions are available for a little bit more.

I’m probably weird in liking my house to get to 50 at night when I’m at home because I sleep better in the cold. In grad school I lived in an apartment with heat only in the room with plumbing, so my room would get below freezing in the winter. That was too cold even for me.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:05 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,402,577 times
If we're talking about a gas furnace here, I'm pretty sure most manufacturers recommend not setting the thermostat any lower than 55-60°F.

At temperatures lower than this the flue gas can cool down too much before it exits the heat exchanger, which can cause acidic moisture to condense out of the flue gas, which can rot out the heat exchanger and ruin your furnace.

Even if you have a condensing furnace, only the secondary heat exchanger is designed to handle this acidic condensate. If the condensing starts happening in the primary heat exchanger too, you will have problems.

Same thing with most boilers. If the water temperature is too low and/or run times are too short, excessive condensation can occur, which isn't good.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:06 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
We do 55 degrees and keep all of the sink cabinets open.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:08 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
I always thought it was 55. You can also weather proof the house to save money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts