Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2023, 02:28 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times

Advertisements

FWIW I found Redfin's Migration trends kind of amusing.

For Inbound, the biggest by far was Hartford and there was also Springfield. Maybe related to the Lego HQ move?
Then there was also NYC and SF. Makes sense from a new job/job transfer perspective.
Dayton Ohio??? That doesn't make any sense.

Outbound... Lebanon NH surprised me (although maybe SNH is part of that market?) and Portland ME also showed up a ton. But mainly it's Florida cities with the occasional SC coastal towns.

Also Chicago which makes sense for millennials looking for cheaper apartments while still having a place to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 02:46 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You can have a reason for being nosy. It's still being nosy.

You are publicly commenting on the downpayment amounts of a specific total stranger.

For someone who frequently badmouths your neighbors, I think you have a sense of what social norms are. They are not universal and they have no real legal basis. We obviously disagree about this, and from early discussions a few others. I'm sure there's more overlap than disagreement, but people don't discuss norms where they align.

In this case, I can say that I would personally be unsettled if my neighbors were looking at my downpayment amounts and commenting on my fiscal responsibility. I would be even more unsettled if I saw complete strangers doing so. While the records publicly available, I consider that my business, so others looking into is them being nosy. I suspect that would be something many, if not most, people I know would also find disconcerting.

I certainly know people who would have absolutely no qualms about doing so or having such things done regarding their publicly available legal records. Divorce records are public, just like property and loan records. I also know people who have no qualms about other stuff, like telling a casual acquaintance they are overweight or castigating them for eating what they consider to be unhealthy food.
I picked that record to look up in the registry b/c it was the most recent sale in that new development. I have no clue who the owners are, nor do I care. I also didn't name the owners in my post. I mentioned about the down payment amount as a point of reference to paint the picture of what the current buyer profile likely looks like in Weymouth for shoppers at that price point. It's good to know info like that if you're looking to buy and making offers. There's reason to believe you don't need to be offering $100K over list to have a chance at getting a place there and this type of research supports that.

Yes, I do have gripes and vent about my neighbors. Unfortunately, at my most current place I ended up with real duds for neighbors. All my others, I've never had any issues or complaints, they were more like 'Leave it to Beaver' neighborhoods of the good 'ol days where everyone was friendly, helpful to each other, and generally took great care of their properties.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:12 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Now that a few of us have shared some real life examples as to why we use the registry maybe Matrix will understand!
Okay, so it's useful to do it before you buy a house or if you share a private lane with someone. Those things happen like once every several years or more. But you constantly look up people's mortgages, like everyday it seems like. That is not normal.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Okay, so it's useful to do it before you buy a house or if you share a private lane with someone. Those things happen like once every several years or more. But you constantly look up people's mortgages, like everyday it seems like. That is not normal.
I buy and sell more often than the average and I'm currently in the market looking for a property so maybe lately I've been doing it more but everyday?! That would be a stretch!

Old 03-19-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I buy and sell more often than the average and I'm currently in the market looking for a property so maybe lately I've been doing it more but everyday?! That would be a stretch!
How often do you move? Real Estate agents must love you.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
How often do you move? Real Estate agents must love you.
I've lost track but I think I'm up to about my 6th or 7th in the last ~10 or so years. I don't always use an agent, sometimes I enlist one just for the buying side and handle the selling myself. Depends on the property and whether or not I want to deal w/the hassle of showing times and contracts on my own vs just let the realtor handle it.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Why do I want people trampsing through my house who are doing nothing but being nosy and have no real intentions of even purchasing (being a qualified buyer)?
I've gone to OH's in the complex here. The seller agents don't seem to mind; after all OH are usually more for them to pick up new clients.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I've gone to OH's in the complex here. The seller agents don't seem to mind; after all OH are usually more for them to pick up new clients.
Actually, you bring up another good point and reason I forgot to mention about why I don't care for open houses. Many times it is to benefit the agent more so than getting your house sold. Exceptions to everything, but you don't really need an open house to get a house under agreement....at least I never have.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:36 PM

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Tewksbury/...home/183036622

Here's some NC THs in Tewksbury that aren't selling. Want 510k. Looks like they haven't sold any of the market rate units yet? And it's getting to 100+ days on some of them.

Ooh, and here's a similar looking TH in Chelmsford, but it's not NC and they want 449k. Also has the dreaded "seller finding suitable housing" clause.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Chelmsford.../home/11591433

Old 03-19-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I've lost track but I think I'm up to about my 6th or 7th in the last ~10 or so years.
TBH this is crazy. Just pick a place and live there for awhile. Or rent, it'd be cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts