Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 11:45 AM

3,586 posts, read 1,816,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I noticed a home not too far away from me that went into foreclosure and someone bought it. It was a very strange house in a nice neighborhood that seemed to operate as a junkyard or year round yard sale. It was mostly covered by trees. House is pretty big owner looked old. I'm guessing a townie who couldn't keep up with the Jonses'. I know people here could care less about those folks.
Was it a place where people could actually stop by and purchase things from their yard? That is strange if it was. Otherwise, maybe it was one of those junky yards where folks leave old wooden pallets, rusty planters and piles of stuff they're too lazy to get rid of in the yard and over time it just accumulates and looks horrendous. I have a 'mild' version of one of those properties near me. Drives me nuts! I'd love to go over and clean the place up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 11:52 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Was it a place where people could actually stop by and purchase things from their yard? That is strange if it was. Otherwise, maybe it was one of those junky yards where folks leave old wooden pallets, rusty planters and piles of stuff they're too lazy to get rid of in the yard and over time it just accumulates and looks horrendous. I have a 'mild' version of one of those properties near me. Drives me nuts! I'd love to go over and clean the place up.
I honestly dont know, I didn't get the impression it was someone too lazy to clean up, it seemed to be some type of business happening. I've lived in this town for almost 3 years, never inquired about it. Whenever we would drive by we'd say, wow, the neighbors must hate this house. There were a few old cars parked in front of it. It was bizarre. I'll have to ask around about it. I'm sure whoever bought it will be cleaning it up.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:46 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Yes, the PMI and $$2.5K /mo daycare piece definitely changes things a bit. Wowza, I knew it was expensive but didn't realize that's how high the going rate is for monthly daycare! That's more than my monthly mortgage!
It's b-a-n-a-n-a-s. That was $2500 for daycare centers in Marlborough! Marlborough! Home centers are cheaper, but often won't take infants. My preference would honestly be licensed home center where the provider spoke Spanish or Portuguese, but even those are still likely 2K on up and are hard to get into with waitlists. My synagogue's daycare starts at 18 months but is only open from 9-4 and is $2200 a month for 18 months old. My alma mater's daycare (open to the public) starts at 3 months and costs a jaw dropping $3000 a month for infants at the highest (150K+ household income) with a sliding scale down to $1400 a month if you household income is less than 40K a year - and that math certainly isn't mathing.

Median daycare cost in Middlesex County is $26,409.12 ($2200/mo), the third most expensive county in the country after Arlington, VA and San Francisco. That figure covers all pre-pre school ages and also covers geographically from Pepperell, Ayer and Lowell all the way to Cambridge and Sudbury.

People think I'm nuts for pricing out daycares before trying to conceive, but I feel like a lot of coworkers who didn't have parents friends were in a world of hurt when they were expecting a more "reasonable" $1500 a month cost.

The daycare years are short, to be sure, but the high cost is why I'd like to buy a house before having kids to hedge my cost of living!

Old 02-27-2023, 12:48 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's b-a-n-a-n-a-s. That was $2500 for daycare centers in Marlborough! Marlborough! Home centers are cheaper, but often won't take infants. My preference would honestly be licensed home center where the provider spoke Spanish or Portuguese, but even those are still likely 2K on up and are hard to get into with waitlists. My synagogue's daycare starts at 18 months but is only open from 9-4 and is $2200 a month for 18 months old. My alma mater's daycare (open to the public) starts at 3 months and costs a jaw dropping $3000 a month for infants at the highest (150K+ household income) with a sliding scale down to $1400 a month if you household income is less than 40K a year - and that math certainly isn't mathing.

Median daycare cost in Middlesex County is $26,409.12 ($2200/mo), the third most expensive county in the country after Arlington, VA and San Francisco. That figure covers all pre-pre school ages and also covers geographically from Pepperell, Ayer and Lowell all the way to Cambridge and Sudbury.

People think I'm nuts for pricing out daycares before trying to conceive, but I feel like a lot of coworkers who didn't have parents friends were in a world of hurt when they were expecting a more "reasonable" $1500 a month cost.

The daycare years are short, to be sure, but the high cost is why I'd like to buy a house before having kids to hedge my cost of living!
Nanny? I get stressed reading these posts. So glad I'm done having kids.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:49 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Even a low end Nanny costs much more than $3k a month. The couple I know are over 3x that. Plus things like an extra vehicle.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:55 PM

Sugardaddy? No kids?

Old 02-27-2023, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

No wonder why Mass has one of the lowest fertility rates around
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-rate-by-state

Old 02-27-2023, 01:02 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Even a low end Nanny costs much more than $3k a month. The couple I know are over 3x that. Plus things like an extra vehicle.
We had a very reasonable daycare (~$1300/month) and when we ran the numbers and the Au Pair route didn’t make sense for fewer than three kids. I think for most people two kids is enough. I think people who have a nanny for just one kid aren’t choosing that on price alone.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:04 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
After daycare costs there isn't much leftover for us, couple of my friends say the same - just need to hang on for a few years and get over the hump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Sugardaddy? No kids?
I had the same question - sounds like you're trying to do it alone.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:10 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I had the same question - sounds like you're trying to do it alone.
She has mentioned she has a partner but never seems to include his earnings in all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts