U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 14,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
My friend (when he was alive) hired seasonal labor on the Cape, landscapers, and sharred his woes with me. You are likely overqualified. College students do not work very hard, in general, because they are not afraid to get fired. The Brazilians, frankly, work harder. Who wants to baby sit kids when one needs laborers to do work?
I'm not entirely sure how to take that. First, I work harder and I'm not a college student. I worked as a Bellman at a 5 star resort in, perhaps, one of the swankiest resort towns in Colorado. I wasn't a baby to be sat, and my livelihood depended on my hard, honest work. My references will attest to the impeccability of my work ethic.

It's as if I'm already deemed a 'lazy American' - sight unseen. I feel like I'm fighting a fight that's already been lost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 PM

22 posts, read 57,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telarium4 View Post
I'm not entirely sure how to take that. First, I work harder and I'm not a college student. I worked as a Bellman at a 5 star resort in, perhaps, one of the swankiest resort towns in Colorado. I wasn't a baby to be sat, and my livelihood depended on my hard, honest work. My references will attest to the impeccability of my work ethic.

It's as if I'm already deemed a 'lazy American' - sight unseen. I feel like I'm fighting a fight that's already been lost.
I am sure you are hard working. No doubt you are qualified. I only relate the experience of my friend. The Cape does not strike me as 'swanky', though I have not been there 'in season' since I don't know when. (We used to drive down to see the daffodils.) Anyway, Brewster has not one drop of swank, I am sure. Maybe Newport or Providence or Boston has more of that. Maybe the Hamptons. How a place like Cape Cod ends up with a reputation for being swanky, I'll never know. Is it the money? Next thing you know, they'll be calling Kennebunkport swanky.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:49 AM
miu

17,664 posts, read 38,311,726 times
How are you applying for these jobs? Are you dropping off a resume or just filling out their generic applications? I think at this point, try to get a job with the banquet department at a resort or a caterer and be an oncall part time staff worker for them. I would think that your superior English and communication skills would be a plus for them. If you can swing a gratuity gig, that would be much better than one that pays only hourly. Also, can you bartend? Are you T.I.P.S. trained?

Have you applied at the Anthony's Cummaquid Inn in Yarmouth Port? That's a sister restaurant to the one I work at in Boston. Our banquet staff might be sent down this week to work a private function at that location.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,361 times
Default This may be too late, but....

It sounds to me like you had this "vision" of coming to Cape Cod, finding a sweet job that's within ten miles of your residence and thinking because you are who you are, you would edge out others that live and work here. Let me shine a little light on the reality of Cape Cod for you - this area is one of the hardest hit with the current economy. Businesses are suffering, there is not a lot of affordable housing for the workers and hotels/restaurants are closing left and right. I live here and have for the past two years. I am educated as well and cannot find a job (within fifty miles) to save my life, so I've taken occasional free lance gigs. Your "vision" was incorrect and I wish I had seen your posting in June - I would have advised you to cut your east coast trip short and attempt to find a job elsewhere.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 17,307 times
This has been very helpful. I am also looking into moving to the cape as a seasonal employeee this year (2009) and it is interesting to hear that my prospects for good employment may not be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts