U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 14,258 times

Advertisements

Well, I've read a few threads on Cape Cod - and I'm currently living here, and also looking for a job.

Now, that being said, I'm college educated -- but I'm not looking for a 'professional' job. In fact, I'm looking for something as far away from that as possible. Yes, my friends, I'm a seasonal employee. I live out in Colorado for the winter and thought, perhaps hastily, that moving to the Cape would be a good idea.

Well, I'm starting to think I made a mistake. Primarily, I'm finding hospitality jobs hard to come by - particularly in decent resorts. I'm not looking to work at the nicest place around, certainly -- but working in a motel isn't really going to do much for me when I return to Colorado. (However, my sense of entitlement to working at a decent resort might diminish as the rent funds dry up).

I've canvassed the area (I live in Brewster). I've gone from Hyannis to Wellfleet - hitting every resort, B&B, and decent looking place to stay. I'll be a dishwasher, a waiter, a night auditor -- point is, I'm not picky - I just want another 'resort notch' on/under my belt.

My resumé, I'd say, is up to snuff. I left a hospitality job in Colorado working for one of the better resorts in Vail. Prior to that, I've been in a few 'professional' jobs (engineering and Real Estate). My references line up properly -- but it just isn't happening. I've seemingly done all the proper things: followed-up, networked, and diligently (and patiently) waited.

Here's what I've run into thus far:

There seems to be a huge migrant labor population -- under, I believe, the H2B visa program. I seem to be fighting for jobs in this respect. I'm not entirely sure the advantage to hire H2B, but it seems my doors are closing because of it.

I'm not getting call-backs, positive or negative responses; simply nothing.

I'm going to places who seem very eager to take my application, but once to HR and I hit a dead-end.

Here's a few details:

I'm here until November 1. That puts me outside the 'college student' timeline. I'd think that was an advantage.

I have a place to live with reliable transportation. 'Nuff said.

I placed most of my applications mid-May and have continued filling apps progressivly (as of 5/29/08). Too late? Too early? I'm not sure.

I am a US Citizen over the age of 21.

So -- any advice for a stranded seasonal worker in the hospitality industry on Cape Cod? What are the general non-skilled labor trends? Have I made a mistake? I've been here for a couple weeks -- am I jumping the gun and getting too antsy? Or, do I need to back out now while I still can?

Much appreciated,

Brad
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,995,062 times
I think it is the economy. Mostly to live on cape cod and work the irish always do come
over. They get housing and do this each year. Can you check with the unemployment agency located in Hyannis that might help. Would Boston work? start with unemploment
and there computer search.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 AM
miu

17,666 posts, read 38,328,940 times
Keep checking craigslist for job openings. Also check the catering businesses and catering temp job agencies. About a month ago, there were several food service industry jobs on Nantucket with housing options that I was tempted by. I just got a job as a waitress for a seafood restaurant's banquet department in the Boston's waterfront. If anything, my being a well spoken American got me the job and with higher starting pay than a another waitress that's been at the restaurant for 25 years. My manager thinks me a godsend. lol

Old 05-30-2008, 11:58 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,179,975 times
Miu... I need to get my kid off his A** and find a JOB... Know where I can send him?

Old 05-30-2008, 02:05 PM

130 posts, read 333,484 times
I agree with maggiekate about the economy being a factor. Business has been very slow. Also, Cape Cod is a tourist destination with a very short season. Only 2.5 months long. The Cape gets busy for Memorial Day and then it gets quiet again. At the end of June businesses really start to pick up with visitors (especially anticipating 4th of July). It pretty much stays busy until the kids go back to school. The Cape gets a large influx of foreign workers in the high season so there is definitely more competition for jobs. If I were you I'd look in Chatham(Chatham Bars Inn), or check out Provincetown.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happy View Post
I agree with maggiekate about the economy being a factor. Business has been very slow. Also, Cape Cod is a tourist destination with a very short season. Only 2.5 months long. The Cape gets busy for Memorial Day and then it gets quiet again. At the end of June businesses really start to pick up with visitors (especially anticipating 4th of July). It pretty much stays busy until the kids go back to school. The Cape gets a large influx of foreign workers in the high season so there is definitely more competition for jobs. If I were you I'd look in Chatham(Chatham Bars Inn), or check out Provincetown.
Appreciate all the advice. I've checked out the Chatham Bars Inn -- that was one of my first -- with little luck. P-town is a bit further than I'd like to drive...but I'll keep looking!

Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 PM

130 posts, read 333,484 times
You're very welcome. You should look at the Cape Codder resort in Hyannis on Rt 132. Their website says they've got positions available. If that doesn't work out I'm out of suggestions. Maybe check the chamber of commerce in the various towns you're interested in. Perhaps they can steer you in the right direction.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,096,130 times
try chAtham Bars inn...............
or somewhere on Main in Hyannis..There are tons of little restaurants there!! or in Falmouth--coonamessett inn is nice!!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happy View Post
You're very welcome. You should look at the Cape Codder resort in Hyannis on Rt 132. Their website says they've got positions available. If that doesn't work out I'm out of suggestions. Maybe check the chamber of commerce in the various towns you're interested in. Perhaps they can steer you in the right direction.
Thanks again. I've checked out that avenue (Cape Codder, that is), unfortunately what the website says and reality are two very different things.

To the poster above, Falmouth is a bit too far for my journey.

In any event, I got a 'bite' at the Beachcomber in Wellfleet. Hopefully that will pan out. I've also gone to the various Chambers of Commerce - only one of which was helpful, if but limited, in their resources. The others didn't even give me the time of day and shuffled me out the door.

Heh, they're a lot nicer in Colorado! (Me making a rash generalization...)

Old 06-01-2008, 08:25 PM

22 posts, read 57,767 times
My friend (when he was alive) hired seasonal labor on the Cape, landscapers, and sharred his woes with me. You are likely overqualified. College students do not work very hard, in general, because they are not afraid to get fired. The Brazilians, frankly, work harder. Who wants to baby sit kids when one needs laborers to do work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts