U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 53,624 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have information on Medway/Millis? Particularly, young neighborhoods, schools, activities?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Is that a bad sign?

We are moving up from CT for my husband's job, and we are familiar with the Medway area but have no idea about schools. Since you didn't have much to say about either Medway or Millis, is that a bad sign? I heard Millis is a small New England town with pretty good schools. Has anyone heard anthing different?

Old 01-09-2007, 05:43 PM

8,412 posts, read 12,727,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daak15 View Post
We are moving up from CT for my husband's job, and we are familiar with the Medway area but have no idea about schools. Since you didn't have much to say about either Medway or Millis, is that a bad sign? I heard Millis is a small New England town with pretty good schools. Has anyone heard anthing different?
No, it's not a bad sign. I think maybe there just aren't any posters from those towns on this forum. I live fairly close to that area. The reason I didn't answer your original post was because it specifically mentioned neighborhoods and I have no direct knowledge of that. I have the impression, just by talking to friends that Medway might have better schools, but I might be wrong. Where will your husband be employed?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the info! My husband is in sales and will be traveling throughout New England. He will be in Boston quite a bit but has flexibility in terms of the time he goes in. We are also looking at Hopkinton. I have young kids, so I really want good schools. Sometimes, the scores don't give you the entire picture so I was looking for some feedback! Any other good towns around that area that are more affordable? (We don't want to go above 600K for the house)

Old 01-10-2007, 01:18 PM

8,412 posts, read 12,727,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daak15 View Post
Thanks for the info! My husband is in sales and will be traveling throughout New England. He will be in Boston quite a bit but has flexibility in terms of the time he goes in. We are also looking at Hopkinton. I have young kids, so I really want good schools. Sometimes, the scores don't give you the entire picture so I was looking for some feedback! Any other good towns around that area that are more affordable? (We don't want to go above 600K for the house)
Hopkinton would be good, if you wanted something a little less rural you could look east towards Medfield which has very good schools but would cost more. Hopkinton sounds like a good location based on what you described about your husband's job.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the detailed messages! Its really helpful. We really don't want to be parked in traffic just to get to the highway. I have to find a job as an instructor at a college so I am keeping that in mind as well. But, that's the next project! Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 94,506 times
Hi. I grew up in Millis for the first 10 yrs of my life ( but my family - much older siblings lived there all along) then moved to Norfolk 'til after college.

Medway over Millis. No contest.

BUT check out Holliston. It's next door to Medway and Millis. It's got a great school system and is family oriented. My husband and I bought our first home there, planned to raise our family there and would have stayed but for an early chance at living on the Cape. We really liked Holliston a lot. It's a "hidden gem" - I think it was Boston Magazine that rated it such.

Also, my best friend's brother raised his family in Holliston until he got re-married and moved to Medway. Even though he has a nicer, bigger, newer house he wishes he didn't leave Holliston - he just thinks it's better.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 AM

Thanks so much for the info. We will be moving in May.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,614 times
Default Millis

I disagree about Medway over Millis. We have lived in Millis since November 2004 after needing a larger and more affordable home. We chose Millis because of the rural beauty, affordability and the fact the public schools offer Spanish immersion.

The down sides to the town are the tax rate and the lack of a town center.
Our kids are in the grammar school and we find the teachers and the administration very conscientious.

The people are a nice mix of blue collar and professionals with a fairly middle of the road political bent. The town takes its fiscal responsibility seriously with all budgets approved by town meeting.

It is about 15 minutes further from Boston than I would prefer. I work in Boston and to get there by 8:30 Am I need to leave before 7:15.

If we could have afforded a larger home there, we would have stayed in Natick.

Other nice towns are Holliston (which offers French immersion and probably a better high school) and Medfield (now you're going up in price).

Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,551,144 times
I have to second (and third) the "Medway over Millis" thoughts here. I know people in both towns and they are all in agreement about the schools. The people in Millis who I know have pulled their kids and are sending them to private or Catholic high schools. The Medway folks still have their kids in public school. The Millis elementary schools are not terrible. Actually, the high school is not terrible either but if you just go one town west, you will find housing just as affordable, yet a better school system.

Medfield's schools top both Millis and Medway easily and you can find an affordable house there now since the market has gotten so soft. Something to consider.

Hopkinton is nice but they've had some administration changes and from the people I know in Hopkinton--some seem happy and some are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts