Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times

Advertisements

I have been to Carmel several times; and I probably would fit in. As a side note; I am considered to 'flaky' to many New Englanders, and too 'conservative' to many Californians.

The image of the state is the Image of Life in California. This is the 'Never Never Land of contemporary American Mythology' Focused on the triple nodes of Hollywood, Disneyland and the Golden Gate. Flavored with equal parts of Glamor and smog, and populated by a mixture of sun bronzed beach lovers and eccentric night people.

In any case, California was once a great place to live. When I spent time there in the mid 80s a new home in Sonoma county could be bought for $100K. But even then I was beginning to see cracks in California- and not on the San Andreas rift zone.

I am not here to bash California- but I feel the costs, the quality of life issues, the school system, traffic and safety issues have made the state a much less attractive place to live then when I lived there nearly a quarter of a century ago.

Urban crowding, massive traffic problems, water shortages, soaring costs, fire and other natural disasters, crime and a plethora of other issues sadly have led to the demise of the 'California Way of Life'- which in the 1960s was called 'A Destiny with a difference' to disappear. Massachusetts, and Connecticut offer a much higher quality of life on many issues.

To be sure both California and New England face similar problems; high costs, the effects of climate change, a post industrial economy.....but the smaller 'community' and the 'culture' and history of the New England states as a whole make these issues less daunting then in the Golden state.

California has its benign climate, its entrepreneurial attitude and varied and beautiful landscape. But the problem of urban sprawl must be addressed. How long will it be before California lush valley's have turned into one massive sprawl?
Its once great Freeway system in the states three largest urban areas are clogged. Its school system ranks near the bottom nationally, where is in the 1960s it was ranked as one of the best.

California for decades was a leader in education, transportation, technology, urban design, and lifestyle. It may be that again someday, but not until its varied social problems can be resolved. The idea of buying an attractive home cheaply in a nice suburb, with good schools and a quick drive to work on the states once vaunted freeway system is long gone.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-14-2008 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:32 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
As a former Californian, I completely agree with you. I also feel that with so many transplants coming and going, the issue seems to always be what will California give me, rather than how can I give back and make California better.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
As a former Californian, I completely agree with you. I also feel that with so many transplants coming and going, the issue seems to always be what will California give me, rather than how can I give back and make California better.
Hey Puff I try

thanks for the support

Old 06-14-2008, 02:37 PM

For those of you thinking of visiting or moving to Massachusetts, let me make at least one destination stop of many. My husband and I went to Ipswitch for the first time to eat at the famous Clam Box. Very yummy, but that wasn't the best part. Driving through Essex county meandering along beautiful country roads going through Manchester and amazing Beverly Farms home of Endicott College and some of the most amazing estates that I have ever seen! Forget Beverly Hills! Crane Beach looked wonderful but didn't want to pay the fee just to park and look at the ocean and try and grab a peek at Crane Castle. The refreshing sea air of Beverly was wonderful. We also stopped by some of the antique stores in Essex....a little out of our budget but no charge for window shopping! Great way to spend the day if you have a sunroof or convertable. Now who was trying to compare Ma. to Ca.? Forget about it!!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:47 AM

32 posts, read 114,043 times
I just moved here from Palm Springs about 8 months ago.

Stay put.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packedandready View Post
I just moved here from Palm Springs about 8 months ago.

Stay put.
A little confused about your post. Are you telling the OP that they should stay in Santa Cruz? Did you like Palm Springs better than Ma.????!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:46 PM

32 posts, read 114,043 times
I am saying stay in Santa Cruz.

The winters here will take years off your life.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:10 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,092 times
Massachusetts is not a bad place but truly there is no comparison. California not only has the weather but the diversity, the scenery, the opportunities, the new ideas and a much more laid back lifestyle. I never understood why people in Mass are so stressed all the time...the driving there is crazy; every time I was on the roads there was some kind of road rage incident. Mass may appear cheaper but with the way energy is going, heating a home next winter will be just plain scary.

Overall, people of different races and backgrounds live together so well here, better than anyplace in the world I have been. I can't think of a solid, middle class suburb anywhere in Mass that has the diversity and harmony of say a place like Fremont!

California is the best!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 PM

Have we lost the OP already or just scared her off from moving Ma.? The one thing that I don't like about New England is how the rich keep the nicest beaches for themselved and keep the regular folk out by only allowing the local residences entry. As far as I know from my experience is all of the beaches are public in Ca...even the wealthiest parts of Malibu are public.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Again

look at the housing prices, and the cultural attributes.
Worcester is not 'pretty' and the climate is harsh- I guess compared to Morro Bay

But look at local services, education- California sure looks pretty, but beyond the 'beauty' comes the beast.

Frankly I cannot think of a more horrible place to live then California- it offers a pleasant climate, beyond that NOTHING.
Yes look at those housing prices. They are very high b/c of something called "demand", something Worcester and others parts of MA don't seem to have nearly as much as CA.

If you honestly think the only thing good CA has to offer is climate then you really have no clue what you are talking about and don't know anything about CA like you think you do. I don't even want to waste my time describing what it has to offer besides just climate. Just b/c you may visit from time to time or lived here 30 years ago doesn't mean anything, most of you opinions seem to come from media drive stereotypes and stupid lists and polls. CA offers everything MA can but MORE. You can find the same or better quality of life than MA or you can find one much worse depending on where you are. It's a very big and diverse state unlike MA and you'll find pretty much what every other state has, both the good and bad things. You just can't compare the two, CA is in a league of it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts