Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 18,851 times

Advertisements

I will shortly be relocating with my company to work in Andover. I have done a fair amount of research and am hoping to rent all be it a long shot a single family home with at least one car garage and fenced in yard allowing a medium dog in:

Arlington
Medford
Winchester
Malden
Oak Grove
Melrose
Stoneham
Wakefield
Woburn

Ultimately I would like to be close enough to the city to make it very accessible. I am looking for recommendations of good relator's/companies to go through. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Check out craigslist and boston.com (the Boston Globe, city's principal newspaper) first before enlisting a broker's services. There should be no need for paying a commission to someone for doing legwork you could do yourself.

The cities/towns you listed represent a broad disparity in average income levels, property values, etc. What price range is workable for you?

FYI Oak Grove is the northernmost sector of the city of Malden, straddling the boundary of Melrose. It's also the name of the MBTA rapid transit's Orange Line terminal. You won't find anything in real estate listings carrying that name.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Thank you for the response my intent was not to get held over the coals by a broker and pay huge fees. I dont know if that is what all agents in the area will be doing. I would like to find something for less then 2000 a month. I had been check craigslist however did not think to check the Globe a very good idea. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Your budget looks doable. But it's very hard to find a place with a dog 'grrr.' You might have better luck with a private owner than a complex, and I concur that craigslist might be the place to find that. You might also consider the Community Newspaper Group- it has editions for individual towns, and many of the apartment listings and house rentals are private. I think its website is under Community News Group. Good luck, and welcome to you and your pooch!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
What about Westford or Littleton..I think you might get lucky there and they are dog friendly for the most part. A private home with a garage for $2000 might be a bit on the low side. You could rent a duplex for that amount or a bit under. Arlington and Winchester are no where near Andover. Have you seen where all of the cities are located that you listed? Like night and day listing Winchester and Malden.
We moved here from Ca. last Nov. after searching forever for a rental that would take four dogs and did not give up despite the negativety I received. I got lucky and found a condo to rent in Concord that would take them all. I have covered parking with a beautiful view of a pond and the train close by. Good luck to you...oh, and Craigslist and the Globe are your best bets plus, Craigslist has a realtor with no fee option to use.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 AM

Thank you for all the replys. I am aware of the location of the cities I listed. Not being tied to a location for school purposes (no kids) affords me the luxury of being able to not really care I would like to find a place that comes close to my criteria and is closeish to the city. I have made the drive up 93 from the City to Andover dozens of times and assume that if I stay within reach of 93 my commute will not be to difficult please correct me if I am wrong. Another factor is my girl friends is a middle school teacher and will be looking for a position in my it safest to stay as close to the city as possible and have to commute away from it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts