Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 PM

646 posts, read 2,661,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
We have snow plows that clear the roads. I never once had to drive in snow all winter. I think winter is a mindset.
I understand but in DC they don't! A few years back it snowed in DC and freaked so bad they stopped their cars on the WW bridge and left them there........walked right off the bridge to VA or MD and all becuase of about 8 inches of snow.Western Mass gets a little more then that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 01:28 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,571,833 times
I lived not far from Western Massachusetts for many years. It's beautiful; quaint towns, restaurants, some gorgeous homes.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 18,609 times
thanks so much for all this lively conversation! i really am interested in learning about western mass...i am not too scared of massachusetts winters, and having lived in DC for 10 years, I can agree DC cannot handle their winters

any other info is greatly appreciated

Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 AM

646 posts, read 2,661,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoMA View Post
thanks so much for all this lively conversation! i really am interested in learning about western mass...i am not too scared of massachusetts winters, and having lived in DC for 10 years, I can agree DC cannot handle their winters

any other info is greatly appreciated
DC winters are nothing to Western Mass but I will admit they(Mass) knows what they are doing when it does snow.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 7,569 times
Hi,I think that you have received some good advice from the prior posts.I would like to add that many people run all season radial tires all year but using real snow tires during the coldest months will greatly enhance your sense of well being while driving.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM

22 posts, read 92,957 times
I live in western MA. westborough, MA to be exact. Its a lovely town! About 10 minutes from Natick where there is a lot going on! Tons of restaurant, shopping, and the new Natick collection (Huge NYC city high end shopping.) Its 45 minutes from Boston. I have lived in Boston as well. I am an urban gal and still like Western MA cause there is a decent amount going on! (But I dont like Worcester! Yuck)

Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 29,534 times
If Westborough is "western MA" , then those of us living around Worcester are where? This region is generally thought of as central MA. Springfield area being western. If you consider Westborough "western MA" please go back to Boston.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM

123 posts, read 472,458 times
Definitely check out Longmeadow: the house price to school quality ratio is excellent. Longmeadow high school is in the top 10% of the state, and the home prices a reasonable as the town was built out 60 years ago and the housing stock is old yet relatively affordable. Preppy and WASPY, though, if that is an issue.

Amherst is a bit far for a daily commute, but if you want a less suburban atmosphere with more of a non-conformist culture you may want to check it out.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Western Mass (west of Worcester) is a fairly depressed and IMO depressing place. Coming from DC, I'm not sure you understand how much more impoverished those more remote places in America are. Dive bars, mud trucks keggers and dirtbikes are primary in the culture. Ther's a reason why it's so much cheaper.
Well, okay, it is true that this part of MA, like much of the Northeast outside the major urban areas, has its share of faded little towns with a rednecky culture, but this area also has some nice towns too. It's not fair or accurate to generalize that the whole area is the way Bostonian describes. There are plenty of nice towns in west-central MA, but the MA and CT towns that FutureSoxFan and Lettuce have suggested are nicer towns that are reasonably close to Springfield. The city of Springfield itself is kind of decrepit in a lot of areas, but there are some nice towns in the vicinity.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,637 times
I live in Fall River (eastern MA) but I LOVE Western MA! My family tries to get away to the Berkshires at least once a year for a couple of days and to me it's like visiting another part of the country because it's much more laid back than eastern MA. Folks are friendly and polite (at least the ones we met), it's much cleaner than Eastern MA and the mountains are beautiful! There are also great art museums and shopping-let's not forget the BIG E in West Springfield in the fall! I know the Berkshires are a little further west than Springfield but if you relocate to the area check them out! As an aside, being a lifelong resident of eastern MA, I'll take dive bars, mudtrucks, keggers, dirtbikes, rednecks, preppy and waspy any day of the week over crackhouses, pimped-out Honda Civics, heroin busts, gangbangers and rude, surly people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts