Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 PM

50 posts, read 185,185 times

Advertisements

Well its official!, we will be moving to Berkshire County mid-July

I would like to get some input on public vs Catholic Schools for my kids.
I have a son who will be starting High School 9th grade and a daughter who will be in 5th grade. the schools I have read a tiny bit about are St. Joseph High and St. Stanilaus Kostka.

As for public, it would be Drury HS and Brayton (I think?)

Also, I am looking for Parish recomendations?? I would like an active church that is also somewhat liberal in its practices

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:13 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,271 times
Hi we lived in the Berkshires for several years with school age children (elementary). I am an education nut! The Catholic schools did not have a good academic reputation. Many of our friends pulled their kids out after 1 year and put them in public. You are better off looking at Lenox for public highschool or Mt Greylock. If you have daughters I would look ay Miss Halls school in Pittsfield. It is a boarding school but they offer discounts to local day students. You can school choice for better schools. It is a lottery system but most of my friends in Pittsfield would school choice for Lenox or Greylock and get in. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:11 PM

646 posts, read 2,667,549 times
Where is the high school in Lennox,I was up there for years ?I know of Monument Mountian and Mt GreyLock.There us e to be a boys Prep school in Lennox ..Cranwell but that is now gone.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:44 AM

123 posts, read 473,729 times
Where in Berkshire County are you going to be moving to? I would not want to be too far from work as all traffic is local traffic, including the state roads.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 PM

50 posts, read 185,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
Where in Berkshire County are you going to be moving to? I would not want to be too far from work as all traffic is local traffic, including the state roads.
North Adams, and the things you mentioned are not of concern to me.

I would REALLY appreciate some 'locals' replying to my initial questions.
its only a matter of a couple weeks before we are there

Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Where is the high school in Lennox,I was up there for years ?I know of Monument Mountian and Mt GreyLock.There us e to be a boys Prep school in Lennox ..Cranwell but that is now gone.
Lenox Memorial Highschool on East Street. (Coming down rt 7 from Pittsfield)Turn right at the monument on East Street.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM

646 posts, read 2,667,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Lenox Memorial Highschool on East Street. (Coming down rt 7 from Pittsfield)Turn right at the monument on East Street.
OK,Thanks been awhile since I rode around Lenox.When I'm there I just hit Tanglewood and Aspinwall Stables...and Cranwell.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 AM

746 posts, read 3,498,484 times
North Adams here. But no firsthand experience with the schools. I do find the students I meet from Drury High School to be well educated in general. A handful recently taught a Spanish course at the local senior center and provided evidence of a good school. This small city still has many vestiges from its industrial past in which most residents worked at factory jobs, but the factory owners also lived here, so the educational system was not allowed to slouch off too much.

Of course it is also important that you see for yourself, but even if the schools here in the most rural section of Massachusetts are not the equal of what you have been used to, good students always rise to the top. Look at it this way, instead of being #23 in a class of 200, they could be #2 in a class of 50.

The bounties of nature will be just out your back door, and there is more cultural enrichment around here than you can imagine until you live here a while. There is even a small daily paper, though it is well known the Mayor summons the editor into his office when he writes negative stories about the city. You can find several interesting reports on life here at Berkshire Fine ArtsI have also found the churches very welcoming, as are the newer people in the community. The long time residents are sometimes suspicious of outsiders, especially if they are educated, they feel threatened I guess. Many are still waiting for the factories to reopen and put them back to work, if only the Mayor could be replaced. Small town legends live here, as anywhere.

For those with clear eyes, North Adams is a city in transition, a bargain real estate wise, and best of all a low tax rate given the low assessments.

Last edited by litlux; 07-07-2008 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: To add detail

Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM

As I mentioned before, The Catholic schools in the Berkshires, North Adams included do not have a great academic reputation. They have very little funding as well. You are much better off in the public schools.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM

123 posts, read 473,729 times
I am perplexed by the questions posed. If you have decided to settle in North Adams, then good for you - the city has its problems but has the capacity and inclination to outgrow them, and is overall a lovely place to be living. Which church, and which public or parochial school (is there one or more in North Adams?) you prefer will be best determined once you get there and can get a closer look. Maybe there is some variability between the public elementary schools in NA, and that might help you decide where in NA to find an apartment. That seems to be the sort of question someone can answer here.

The questions you posed related to all of Berkshire County, thus the confusion. FWIW, it would not be practical, I would think, to live in North Adams and drive twice every day to a school in Pittsfield. Maybe it looks close compared to the distances out west, but the local roads get filled with local traffic, and few people out there bother to commute such long distances unless it is to get to unusually lucrative jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts