Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,907 times

Advertisements

After reading all (well alot) of the blogs I got even more confused about where to move to. By May or June I will be moving to MA. My soon to be husband will be working in Cambridge, so we want someplace that is either close to there or close enough to the train to eliminate one car. Now the tuff part, I have a 6 year old girl, and I of course want her in a good school. Pretty much my entire decision on where we move to will be based on the school and neighborhood because of her. I've been told somerville is good - I thought Revere Beach was until I started reading the blogs - HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 06:30 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
I find that many posts say they want good schools and yet most cannot quantify what a good school is. What is important to you as a parent? Small class size? curriculum? Again, if you look at scores only being a good school, it correlates better with parents' income and education level.

MA property taxes are quite high. One of the option is to buy in a not so good town with low taxes and send your child to private school. This way you can choose your school (or the school can choose you as getting into some of these private schools are harder than getting into Harvard.) It may be cheaper that way.

For Cambridge, I find that towns along Rt2 usually have decent school system and the road goes right into Cambridge. You can also try Some towns near Rt93. But, you will have to batter traffic from NH also.

Last edited by smarty; 01-18-2007 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyrose70 View Post
After reading all (well alot) of the blogs I got even more confused about where to move to. By May or June I will be moving to MA. My soon to be husband will be working in Cambridge, so we want someplace that is either close to there or close enough to the train to eliminate one car. Now the tuff part, I have a 6 year old girl, and I of course want her in a good school. Pretty much my entire decision on where we move to will be based on the school and neighborhood because of her. I've been told somerville is good - I thought Revere Beach was until I started reading the blogs - HELP!!!!
What about Arlington which is next to Cambridge? He can ride the bus into Cambridge or a short ride on the T at the Alewife station to Cambridge. That is the closest town with the better schools with an easy commute and not as expensive as neighboring Newton and Brookline.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 PM

26 posts, read 227,019 times
I can relate with you in terms of getting mix feelings about the areas. I have been in Boston area for last 10 years and here is my understanding of the area.. Before I jot down that ... here is my wish list : Good schools, affordable housing,
low crime rate, easy commute to work...

As you know Boston is an expensive city and you have to compromise something out of your wish list unless you are a millionaire.

There are tons of towns with good schools. MA holds first rank in this country.

Weston, Wellesley, Newton
Good Schools, expensive towns , close to Boston /Waltham etc

Sudbury, Wayland, Acton, Westwood,
Good School, less expensive but still expensive ( single family - 500,000+)
but you could find something for 400,000's if you do not care about age/sq ft of the house

Nice upcoming towns

Westford, Westborough, Southborough, Chelmsford
Affordable housing, good schools but might have to drive down to work ....
(45 minute drive to cambridge)

Most of the town in MA are either on mbta train line or connected through commuter train .. CHK out MBTA.com

MY suggestion:
Move to an apartment close to your work and then look for the area where you would like to settle down... BTW, Arlington has good schools, very close to Cambridge and very well connected.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 PM

as far as schools I am looking for a quality education (I am currently in FL so there leaves alot of room for improvement) more than worrying about scores on state tests - size of the classroom depends on if the teacher has help. I would like a somewhat friendly neighborhood - I don't expect it to be crimefree (is there such a place?) but I don't want to be around gangs. We are planning on renting for at least the first year but I don't want to have to keep moving. The soon to be hubby has no problem taking the train as long as its walking distance from the house. Was this more helpful? Or more confusing?

Old 01-19-2007, 03:44 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyrose70 View Post
as far as schools I am looking for a quality education (I am currently in FL so there leaves alot of room for improvement) more than worrying about scores on state tests - size of the classroom depends on if the teacher has help. I would like a somewhat friendly neighborhood - I don't expect it to be crimefree (is there such a place?) but I don't want to be around gangs. We are planning on renting for at least the first year but I don't want to have to keep moving. The soon to be hubby has no problem taking the train as long as its walking distance from the house. Was this more helpful? Or more confusing?
Since most school around here is fairly decent compare to FL. I suggest going visit the school after you narrow down a few towns.

Friendly neighborhood; you just have to find the right street with the right mix. What I mean is if you move into a street where all kids are grown, you will not have as many friends.

As to where, it depends so much on your budget for housing. Many decided to live in NH and commute to Boston due to housing cost. Prices are cheaper as you move away from Boston.

One last thing to think about is your expectation regarding city or suburban living. Some towns are more urban than others. The suburb here is a little different than FL in that there is no city planning. Most streets are not straight. You will see houses, here and there. You'll see what I mean when you come up for a trip.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 AM

105 posts, read 552,170 times
Default Somerville vs other towns

I'm not quite sure who told you Somerville was good, but I wouldn't move there with kids....I think Revere Beach is a better choice, and that's not saying much! Somerville does have its nice sections, but overall, I would't pick it to raise children. What about Watertown? It's on the other side of Cambridge and a better family area.

I think alot depends on where in Cambridge the job is. If it's on the Aelwolf side, you could pick any of the towns up Route 2 and that would be a good choice.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
kittyrose, parts of Somerville have had problems with gangs. Plus all the college students in that area tend to keep the rents expensive.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 PM

10 posts, read 98,488 times
I agree with Nanseev and CaseyB - PLEASE, DON'T go to Somerville! Have you ever heard of the nickname "Slummerville"? It's better than it used to be, but I would NOT recommend it for someone with children.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 PM

I am originally from Brooklyn, NY - I have no problem with city living - lol and the area of FL that I am in is ridiculous, its the only place I know that you go straight and the name of the street keeps changing. We have good friends in Brockton but we don't want the commute - I want to live somewhat close to where I work - full time employee full time Mom - I don't want to miss more time with her. Going by advice on here I will check out Watertown and Arlington. Thank you so much everyone - I am trying to go into this eyes wide open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts