Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:07 AM

13 posts, read 31,302 times

Advertisements

I spent every school vacation in Orange from the time I was 10 until I was 16 as well as about a month every summer, visiting my brother and his family who have lived out there since 1986.

Orange is where you live, Athol (the town next to it) is where you work....at least it used to be. Orange is so run down because of the economy, and Athol is actually in worse shape because that's where all the mom & pop businesses were -and again because of the economy, they are all closing up.

Real Estate in Orange was low in 2000, increased with the bubble, and has crashed like every other place as a result. It continues to decline, but values are still higher now than they were 10 years ago.

The current population of Orange is about 7,000 according to 2008 estimates, and the average home runs about $150,000 (cheap by MA standards). The average household income is around $46,800 (2008 statistic), up from around $35,000 in 2000.

Please forgive me but I don't remember the SEVERAL websites where I got this info, but you can Google Orange and see for yourself. Of all the places in the world I have lived or visited for a week or more (Korea, Afghanistan, 11 European Countries, about 22 or 23 states CONUS), New England is the most attractive and charming, and the North Quabbin region of MA is what people around the country think of when they think of New England. Orange is a nice, quiet place to live.

It's so nice, in fact, that my wife and I moved from Texas to MA (I'm a native and she's a Texan) last February while we save to pay for our own home. We looked no farther or closer than Orange. We Close on a home there in 2 weeks.

Believe it or not, Orange does have streets, people, and even traffic lights (2 I think)! I know you just have some business to tend to, but don't be hesitant. I've lived in big cities and back countries, and if you take a minute to enjoy what's around, you just might surprise yourself. But definitely drive. Even if a taxi were cheap from Amherst or Greenfield (which it's not), you'd be paying for taxi's everyday in Orange too because nothing is really within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,087,983 times
this thread is 2 years old,i a sure the OP has already come and gone.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 9,390 times
I think you would be fine to drive... as Orange is a very easy and quiet town.

I don't know why people live in Orange... some people like an easy and slow life in the country.. land and nature and some like city living...

I think the train, bus route is going to be more expensive and more confusing than pulling out your map and driving.

Good Luck (oh and Orange is best visited in the Summer or Fall)

Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM

42 posts, read 133,491 times
You can really tell who the folks who don't read the whole thread, or look at the posting dates are.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 PM

23,211 posts, read 18,375,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefully View Post
You can really tell who the folks who don't read the whole thread, or look at the posting dates are.
Or know proper grammar and how to write a sentence.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 PM

158 posts, read 370,388 times
I wonder if they ever found their way out of there? lol

Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM

42 posts, read 133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Or know proper grammar and how to write a sentence.
Proper grammar? On the web?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts