Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:05 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I left Mass over the high cost of living, and I have never really understood why it has to be so high. New England sure as hell is not know for its pleasant climate like Calif is. All in all though I think Mass and New England for that matter are a much more desireable area to live in. When one lives in other states they sure find that out fast.

What you said makes tons of sense. You have to be other places to know what you had in MA. I had to see ****ty PA and FL to know that I was wrong when I was badmouthing much of MA when I lived there and when I couldnt wait to leave MA to go to the country in PA etc..
Biggest mistake that could have ever happened. New England after all is a top place in the country along with the Pac NW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
What you said makes tons of sense. You have to be other places to know what you had in MA.
See it just shows that people have different views of life. I look at the other way...there are so many things that you don't realize exist until you get out of New England. You also see the wacky liberals for who and what they are when you don't have it staring you in the face.

To a good part of the country, Massachusetts isn't something they look up to or wish to emulate, from the weather, to the politics, to the high cost of living, it's usually only the locals who think that everyone else wants to be like them.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,483,749 times
Default Cost of living?

Can some one define cost of living? Who and what are we comparing to....

Are we comparing city living? People living 30 miles from downtown? 50 miles from downtown?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
See it just shows that people have different views of life. I look at the other way...there are so many things that you don't realize exist until you get out of New England. You also see the wacky liberals for who and what they are when you don't have it staring you in the face.

To a good part of the country, Massachusetts isn't something they look up to or wish to emulate, from the weather, to the politics, to the high cost of living, it's usually only the locals who think that everyone else wants to be like them.
As you say, people look at things differently. I couldn't care less what this good part of the country wants to emulate. I sure don't want to emulate them. I prefer it here, despite the cost of living, precisely because of the politics, as well as the culture generally and the aesthetics. I'd take the "wacky liberals" any day over the nutjobs running around in far too many states. And the weather just isn't a factor. Snow is fun, leaves are beautiful, having cool ocean breezes in July instead of 100 degrees is pleasant.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM

19 posts, read 69,230 times
It's debatable. If you are from the state and have friends/family there, then yes, of course it is worth it to stay if you can because those connections are priceless. On the other hand, young people are probably wise to leave New England for greener pastures. The rough climate, cold and aloof cultural mores, lack of ethnic diversity outside of a handful of cities, lack of economic opportunity unless you work in higher ed or the Route 128 tech industries, lack of good public transportation outside of Boston and the inner ring suburbs, and absurd 1 acre lot zoning in the outer suburbs make it less than a desirable place to start off in life in many ways. It's still home and I love it but I see it with different eyes after moving away.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
I'm not sure which part of San Diego you live... But, I had a friend who used to live in Wellesley and they have to pay 40% more to get the same house.
He should've waited for housing prices to crash before buying then There are some pretty good deals out there.

I also have no interest in buying a house, so my situation reflects that. Renting in Boston is more expensive (for me) than it is to rent out here.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,383 times
Quote:

Who were you hanging out with when you were here? There certainly is a wrongheaded attitude here of "we're so progressive" but I have never heard, in my forty plus years of living here, anyone say that everyone else wants to be like us.
BTW, How exactly would they emulate our beautiful weather?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 AM

123 posts, read 473,729 times
People from the Hub, with their various reformist and mugwumpy social projects, usually think that other people ought to be like them. That is why it is the Hub, after all.

Nobody here claims that the rest of the country wants to be like them - that is just evidence of the rest of the country's inferiority.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Who were you hanging out with when you were here? There certainly is a wrongheaded attitude here of "we're so progressive" but I have never heard, in my forty plus years of living here, anyone say that everyone else wants to be like us.
BTW, How exactly would they emulate our beautiful weather?
Well, you have to admit that most New Englanders and especially the liberals think that the world begins at the Hudson River and ends at the Atlantic Ocean. Liberals in general think that anyone who disagrees with them is uneducated, ignorant, a racist, a xenophobe, or a combination of some or all of these.

The liberal attitude is usually that unwashed masss would and should aspire to be like them, if only the masses could escape the grasp of the evil corporations who have brain washed them, along with their own ignorance. Many New Englanders feel the same disdain for anyone who doesn't drop the letter "r" from the end of words.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,383 times
Quote:
Well, you have to admit that most New Englanders and especially the liberals think that the world begins at the Hudson River and ends at the Atlantic Ocean. Liberals in general think that anyone who disagrees with them is uneducated, ignorant, a racist, a xenophobe, or a combination of some or all of these.

The liberal attitude is usually that unwashed masss would and should aspire to be like them, if only the masses could escape the grasp of the evil corporations who have brain washed them, along with their own ignorance. Many New Englanders feel the same disdain for anyone who doesn't drop the letter "r" from the end of words.
You have to be fair here. conservatives feel the same way. I look down on my liberal friends as panty wearing, emotional pinheads who tend to think with their hearts instead of their brains.
I now live in Dorchester because my wife (liberal) couldn't stand the idea of living amongst (perish the thought) mostly white people. She yearned for diversity. Now we live in an area of high crime and high auto insurance rates.
You have to be a loony liberal to think like that in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts