Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:54 PM

24 posts, read 112,125 times

Advertisements

Ok here it is . I work for a chain of Tires stores as an Asstaint Manager in CT. I've been offered a Managers postion in either Walpole or Milford for new stores being built. But i know nothing about either town/ city. My question is , if you where in my postion which place is better for sales?

The Walpole store is directly across the street from "the Mall at Walpole" in what was the old Mitsubisi dealership. I also know there are building a new mall of sorts in front of Gillete Stadium, which is 5 min away. Its also gonna be about 8,000 sq ft building. But it has yet to be started for renavations, open date is next year.

The Milford store is in the same plaza as Khols at 91 Medway rd. I went up and looked at both areas, so i know theres been alot of retail constrution done in Milford (new Best Buy, Lowes, Staples, etc.) recently. This store is only gonna be about 7,400 sq ft and is scduled to open mid to late September.

Making the choice harder is that i've yet to put condo on the market, but i've already said that which ever i choose the sale of my condo is not important becase i can alway rent it out.

So again which do people in MA think is a better enviroment for sales? And which ever i choose where would be a nice relitivly inexpensive place to live, thats not a getto?

Thank you in advance for any help or insite you can give

confused in CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:34 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,886,673 times
I don't know much about Milford, but I live near Walpole and it seems like a pretty nice town. It's a bit closer to Boston than Milford and the median home price is $430K as opposed to 330K in Milford. Walpole is pretty small and there's a number of other towns right there, so you wouldn't have to live in Walpole. If you're a Pats fan you'd be right by Gillette (not that tickets are easy to come by or anything).

As for sales, that's a really difficult question to ask. Presumably your employer has thought about their expansion plans and think both areas are underrepresented by tire stores. I can't think of an overabundance in Walpole, but I haven't needed new tires since I moved, so I wouldn't know. I do know there are a lot of projects underway along Rt. 1 (which is where the Walpole mall is)--the new place by the stadium, a new complex up in Norwood, a big new place in Dedham and just off of route 1 in Westwood there is a huge complex planned. I don't know if this will bring new business or will oversaturate the market.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 AM

9,948 posts, read 15,534,485 times
I'm familiar with the proposed locations of both stores. I know that plaza in Milford is in a high traffic area on 109, but maybe the Walpole one might be better given it's proximity to all the auto dealers on Rte. 1, (a.k.a the automile). Like Jay said, those areas have been scouted out for a reason.

I'm getting the impression that you don't have kids, so schools aren't an issue.

So to sum up:

Milford - probably cheaper to live overall, you don't have to live in Milford either. That store would be close to the town line in Medway, and Franklin is close, too.

Walpole - nicer town, more $$$, better entertainment options, closer to Boston.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk213 View Post
Ok here it is . I work for a chain of Tires stores as an Asstaint Manager in CT. I've been offered a Managers postion in either Walpole or Milford for new stores being built. But i know nothing about either town/ city. My question is , if you where in my postion which place is better for sales?

The Walpole store is directly across the street from "the Mall at Walpole" in what was the old Mitsubisi dealership. I also know there are building a new mall of sorts in front of Gillete Stadium, which is 5 min away. Its also gonna be about 8,000 sq ft building. But it has yet to be started for renavations, open date is next year.

The Milford store is in the same plaza as Khols at 91 Medway rd. I went up and looked at both areas, so i know theres been alot of retail constrution done in Milford (new Best Buy, Lowes, Staples, etc.) recently. This store is only gonna be about 7,400 sq ft and is scduled to open mid to late September.

Making the choice harder is that i've yet to put condo on the market, but i've already said that which ever i choose the sale of my condo is not important becase i can alway rent it out.

So again which do people in MA think is a better enviroment for sales? And which ever i choose where would be a nice relitivly inexpensive place to live, thats not a getto?

Thank you in advance for any help or insite you can give

confused in CT

Anyone else

Old 07-27-2008, 10:47 PM

278 posts, read 1,061,155 times
Quote:
Anyone else
I agree with Casey...you don't necessarily have to live in either town. It gets tricky, because I would rather work at the Milford location and live in Walpole. I know a few people who live in Milford, and not one of them has anything nice to say about it. They all live there because it's more affordable. If you are single, or without kids, Milford might not be so bad...I do not believe they are known for the excellence of their schools (generally speaking). Franklin would be a better place to live, and just drive into Milford...that's what I would do.
Good luck.
lorilou

Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
I agree with Casey...you don't necessarily have to live in either town. It gets tricky, because I would rather work at the Milford location and live in Walpole. I know a few people who live in Milford, and not one of them has anything nice to say about it. They all live there because it's more affordable. If you are single, or without kids, Milford might not be so bad...I do not believe they are known for the excellence of their schools (generally speaking). Franklin would be a better place to live, and just drive into Milford...that's what I would do.
Good luck.
lorilou
But which do you think is a better place to work at.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:41 PM

278 posts, read 1,061,155 times
Quote:
But which do you think is a better place to work at.
For work, I like the Milford location better...I think you'll have more traffic. I am not familiar with the Walpole location, but if it's across from the old Walpole mall...that seems a little sketchy...just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,070,632 times
I'll chime in. I'm also familiar w/ both locations.

The route 1 location is, as a PP stated, right near the 'automile'. But route 1 has a barrier running down the middle and you can't just execute a left hand turn on every corner. So if there's something down the street (say, BJ's, which isn't far), it's going to grab that last minute business. I don't know what percent of tire store business comes from people having flats, getting towed, just walking in on the spur of the moment, but my vote would go to the Milford store in terms of ease of access.

Also, though Gillette is only 5 miles away, mentally, it's a world away, a huge number of stoplights and potentially heavy traffic (particularly if there's something going on at Gillette--it doesn't have to be a football game to totally screw up traffic) and people are not going to visit that huge mall at Gillette, nor the new mall going up in Dedham, then drive to your tire store. So my vote again goes to the Milford location.

In terms of towns in which to live, I'd pick Walpole over Milford, hands down. But that Milford location is near Medway, which I like better than Walpole. The schools are probably similar in quality.

Maybe it's just because I hate Rt 1, but I'd rather deal w/ Rt 109 any day of the week.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:47 PM

376 posts, read 1,805,514 times
As far as sales, you would probably be better off at the Milford location. Have you checked where the nearest tire stores are? (Other than KMart, which would be close to you). The nearest in Medway is way down near center of town on Rt 109. In Milford, out on Rt 140, other side of town? What about Rt 16 heading toward Holliston? There used to be a tire place out there, don't know if there is anymore.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Ok well Milford seems like the best location. Thanks guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts