Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are The Red Sox Really That Important?
Yes, I live and die with the team. 7 25.93%
No, while I am a fan, I have other priorities. 12 44.44%
I could care less. 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,594,545 times

Advertisements

Ok so I grew up in MA and I'm a Red Sox fan (and a fan of every home team for that matter) but I don't understand how ridiculous so many people are around here. I've been all over the country and I can say with all honesty we have the best fans in the country by far but I truly find it pathetic that people get tattoo's of the Red Sox, skip work to go to Fenway, won't date someone who is not a Red Sox fan, constantly talk about the Red Sox and have to watch every game, etc. I truly find this pathetic. You have to have no life at all for your life to revolve around a baseball team. I mean come on. The player's don't care about you (they care about the money). On top of that, when the Sox win big games people are out vandalising and causing havoc.

I seriously think a lot of people around here have to grow up and actually get a life rather than let their lives revolve around a baseball team. I'm sure I'll get a lot of criticism from this post (especially from the people who I'm talking about) but it's true. To let your life revolve the Red Sox or any other sports team is just pathetic and sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 PM

206 posts, read 794,703 times
I agree, I'm coming up there this Saturday from Baltimore to see what all the hype is about. I'm driving my self, where is a good place to park and catch the Greenline?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:18 PM

182 posts, read 709,070 times
I grew up in MA and the sox kind of define a person. If you love the sox then that means you are loyal, you are a hard worker, very patient, dedicated and a tough fighter (them Yankees are no joke to argue with).
There is a history withthe sox. They play in the oldest ballpark in America. They have had huge superstars on the team.
There is a sense of commraderie with other bostonians. You feel you are fighting for a common goal, you survived something together.
Then there is the pride. Being recognized across the country when you sport your sox hat. Other bostonians recognize the hat and nod to you. It's a conversation piece.
The sox are one of the most recognizable teams in America.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,842,871 times
Hey, don't knock the Sox enthusiasm. It can have its benefits. I once heard of a guy whose obsession with the Sox set him up to have it goin' on with Drew Barrymore.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,005,634 times
I've spent most of my life in the Boston area. I don't care anything for any of our professional sports teams. I actually prefer it if they don't win the championships. Having them win doesn't make me feel better about being from this area. Most sports fans are very obnoxious, especially when their teams are doing well. Fortunately, my boyfriend feels the same way about professional sports as I do.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,154,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
There is a sense of commraderie with other bostonians. You feel you are fighting for a common goal, you survived something together...
I think this is a big part of the support for the Sox -- it is a shared experience that transcends boundaries. Different generations, neighbors, coworkers, even complete strangers can all genuinely share in the excitement. To be a Sox fan is to be belong to an inclusive club where everyone's welcome.

And the concrete manifestation of the team -- Fenway Park -- is to ball parks as Notre Dame or Westminster Abbey are to cathedrals. The only place that complements the game as well is Wrigley Field in Chicago. Fenway is a beloved temple for the civic religion, and the ballpark experience is an integral part of the game (even when watching on TV fans relive past experiences at a game).

Also, finally, never discount the fact that good baseball can be very entertaining and exciting, a game extremely rich in complexity, nuance, and strategy that's accessible to high-brow and low-brow alike.

I'd write more, but the game's on...

Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,594,545 times
I have nothing against Red Sox fans....just the ones whose life literally revolves around them. I just find it pathetic for someone's life to revolve around a meaningless game and overpaid, obnoxious players. I just don't get it.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM

3,075 posts, read 5,619,150 times
I grew up a red sox fan and was born in MA, but still don't completely understand the obsession with the red sox. I always thought most of the obsession was with the constant losing and not having won a world series since 1918, but even now I can't really say that. I personally would rather watch and enjoy football (especially college), and think watching baseball on tv is quite boring.

I also find people get upset when you say the red sox should trade or get rid of certain players. People criticize the yankees for spending lots of money, when the red sox are usually right behind them or 3rd in spending every year.

Don't get me wrong, their is nothing bad about cheering and supporting your home team, but I think there are better things to do then follow baseball for 162 games a season. Not to mention when I've seen the red sox (in Boston, and also in Baltimore and Atlanta) you always run into obnoxious red sox fans.

I also find it amazing how many people constantly wear red sox jerseys and red sox hats basically any day of the week or even out and about. I do think its funny when grown men consistently wear red sox jerseys of their favorite player and even at games they are taking pictures or calling the players names like they are 9 years old again.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:16 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,866,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflamezzz View Post
I agree, I'm coming up there this Saturday from Baltimore to see what all the hype is about. I'm driving my self, where is a good place to park and catch the Greenline?
Riverside T Station--right off of 95 in Newton.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,842,871 times
Of course the Sox are not the only sports team with obsessed fans. A number of college football teams have just as ravenous a following, as well as NC's big college basketball teams, and of course there is Wisconsin and its crazy passion for the Packers. I'm sure that on the home turf of all these teams you'll find people going to the extreme in their allegiance to their teams.

In fact, I'd guess you'd find some of these obsessed fans anywhere, even where the general populace is not quite as passionate about any of their teams as Boston is about the Sox. I'm guessing that in many cases, this has to do with a person's insecurity, and penchant for trying to feel important through association with something bigger than himself. This phenomenon is not limited to sports fandom either. You'll see the same with people who express a desperate pride in the companies they work for, the cities or states where they live, etc. This situation is kind of sad, but I'd say that it should not be confused with healthy passion for a favorite team. This can be a good thing, but, like so many good things, it can be a problem when carried to the extreme. And, as so often is the case, the extreme is what gets noticed. Try to look beyond the nuts on the extreme, and appreciate the good feeling that enthusiastic but sane excitement over a team can generate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts