Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,335,657 times

Advertisements

My friend and I want to go to New England for a few days this early fall. We are both middle-aged quiet types looking for some lovely scenery, walking trails and much-needed relaxation, but with the amentities of an upscale lodging (she wants a spa; I want an indoor pool ). We are thinking of both Maine and Massachusetts.

Are places such as Cape Cod still nice (never been there)? What's the weather like in mid-September? Any other city or resort recs would be appreciated. We plan to fly or train in from Philly and rent a car. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:53 PM

278 posts, read 1,060,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
My friend and I want to go to New England for a few days this early fall. We are both middle-aged quiet types looking for some lovely scenery, walking trails and much-needed relaxation, but with the amentities of an upscale lodging (she wants a spa; I want an indoor pool ). We are thinking of both Maine and Massachusetts.

Are places such as Cape Cod still nice (never been there)? What's the weather like in mid-September? Any other city or resort recs would be appreciated. We plan to fly or train in from Philly and rent a car. Thanks!
The Cape is awesome! Maybe look into renting a little house in Harwich/Harwich Port...it's sort of in the middle of everything. There are a couple of spa choices there, and I'm sure there are more in nearby Chatham. Dine in Hyannis and stroll the interesting streets of P-town...you can explore both ends from the middle.
In Maine, I love the Ogunquit area...and it's close to Portsmouth, NH for shopping.
Have fun!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 PM

26 posts, read 220,222 times
That time of year is just about perfect for Cape Cod, Cape Ann, or the southern Maine Coast. Here are some towns that you might want to look at:

Cape Cod:
Chatham
Wellfleet
Falmouth
Sandwich

Cape Ann:
Rockport

Southern Maine:
Ogunquit
Kennebunkport
Cape Elizabeth

Old 07-29-2008, 05:02 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,510,805 times
Kennebunkport is really cute. There is a great beach nearby.......Goose Rocks Beach...great for walking and enjoying tide pools. I think there is a place up there...The White Barn very upscale. The Kennebunkport Inn is very cute as well.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM

9,943 posts, read 15,527,653 times
Right outside of Portsmouth is Wentworth By The Sea: Wentworth by the Sea - a Marriott Hotel & Spa

Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM

646 posts, read 2,662,873 times
Martha's Vinyard!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,907,027 times
I don't know if you've posted this on the Maine forum, but one of the prettiest areas in Maine is the Kennebunk and Ogunquit areas. Both have lots of upscale shops, there are spas, a nice mix of casual and elegant dining, and beautiful sights. You can walk along the Marginal Way in Ogunquit, and there a dozens of inns and hotels to chose from. September, being the "off-season" you might be able to get a great deal as well. Please come back and let us all know what you decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts