Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM

13 posts, read 31,749 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My wife and I are moving to Boston in September from Montreal, Canada, and would like some info before we come down. We will both be working at Harvard Medical School/MGH and BWH.

What advice can you all give on the best companies to get:
1. Cell phone plans
2. Cable TV/internet service
3. Electricity, gas, etc (if more than one company to work with)

Also, information on the following would also be really helpful:
1. Grocery stores
2. Pharmacies
3. Furniture/electronics shops
4. Anything else I've forgotten!

Because we are on a budget, we'd really like to have best bang for the buck. Here in Montreal, we're big fans of Costco but don't like to use stores like Wal-Mart, etc. because of the lower quality.

Any other useful information about moving down and getting set up would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Nader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,469,108 times
First, you have to decide where you will live... it will limit the services you'll get.

1. Cell phone plans
All large phone companies.. ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Tmobile.
Plans depend on your usage... phone, text, internet...

2. Cable TV/internet service
Again this depends on where you live... Usually Comcast, Verizon Fios or DSL,

3. Electricity, gas, etc (if more than one company to work with)
You can choose electric company... it is deregulated.
Gas... depends on where you live again.

Also, information on the following would also be really helpful:
1. Grocery stores
2. Pharmacies
3. Furniture/electronics shops
4. Anything else I've forgotten!

So much depends on where you live again... try google after you have an address or maps.google.com for street view.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:47 PM

But what are the best companies to go with? For instance, in Canada, everyone knows that for cell phones there's only 1 company to go with (Rogers) because Bell charges too much and the others have horrible coverage...

As for the bottom 4 list, we really have no idea what stores are good and which are bad - for groceries I've heard that Whole Foods is best, but expensive. Which would offer best bang for buck? And what about for furniture? Any chains to stay away from? Any to check out first? Our first major purchase will be a mattress, if that helps!

Coming from Canada, we really know very little about US stores (other than what we see on TV).

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM

I hate to say this... but it really depends on your needs

for cell phone...

If you're in Boston... I think any carrier like verizon, ATT, Tmobile is fine. If you work in a Basement of a building, some carrier may be better than others. If you live in the suburb, Verizon usually have better coverage. However, if you need to travel to other states ATT and Tmobile may be better. As to the pricing, again... it depends on if you talk on the phone for hours or just use it occasionally, some plans are cheaper for your need. I suggest asking your co-worker may be a way to go. There are just so many plans and choices.

Groceries... if you live in Boston... there are not many choices. Star market/shaws, Traders Joe and whole food. There is a Stop&Shop near Dorchester. Shaws or Stop&Shop is cheaper in term of price. If you're close enough to Chinatown, there are a few grocery stores there. However, You're not going to walk 4 miles, take public transportation or drive to 15 miles to Costco to get groceries. Imagine if you live around University of Toronto... I don't think you have much choices for grocery.

Furniture... Cannot help you there... there are so many junky small furniture stores in Boston (for college student)... and many artsy custom funiture store in downtown Boston... as to a big chain and mattress... I suggest Costco, Jordans Furniture, may be Mattress Discounter (??but they seems to be like used car salesmen)... some may say 1800mattres(mattress.com). but I've never tried it.

I realized moving to another country is scary... don't worry too much... take a few weekend trip to Boston (only 5 hrs)... talk with co-workers... I think best to decide where to live... then the rest will follow. BTW... the world is very different if you live 10 miles from MGH.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:53 PM

How do you mean (...10 miles away...)? What would you consider to be the advantages and disadvantages?

We are a young couple (early 30s) and will be working in "downtown". We are looking for an area close to all of the amenities (shops, grocery, etc) without having to drive in every day. Also, we're trying to keep our commute down to a max of 45 minutes each way (even that sounds crazy to me, what with my commute right now being 10 minutes to downtown Montreal and rent is only $900/mo for a great 2 bedroom!). We really liked the small town feel of Brookline and West Cambridge (Huron Village area).

Any place else we should be looking that fits the bill?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM

That is why so many loves Brookline... unfortunately, you'll have to pay about 3X ($2500+) to get a 2bedroom apartment.

You probably can try quincy, malden, medford and sommerville to get that price range. Try cragslist to give you some idea about apartment prices.
boston all apartments classifieds - craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts