Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 AM

34 posts, read 126,081 times

Advertisements

My husband has a potential job ofer in North Adams. I looked up info on the schools, and it made me a little concerned. One of our kids is in 7th grade, the other is in 2nd with some special needs and delays. North Adams sounds great as my older child is really into the arts. Could anyone tell me if North Adams is ok to live in for a family, especailly in regards to the schools? Are any of the neighboring towns better as far as safety and education go? We are looking to stay in the $300,000 range on housing. Thanks so much for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,504,892 times
Lenox is a little further south but the schools are much better. Williamstown as well (plus the bonus of being near an elite liberal arts college). If I had my choice I would choose Williamstown. We have friends, very academically oreinted in Williamstown and very happy (highschool age kids in Mt Greylock). I'm not a huge fan of North Adams but it does have some cute shops and restaurants and MOMA. I think if you look around at other towns a bit you can do better (in terms of schools). I should add Lenox and Williamstown are more expensive. You can school choice of course but then it is the luck of the draw.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:02 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,644,262 times
We are likely moving to that area as well. It looks to me like Williamstown's schools are much, much better. The high school apparently scores in the top 100 nationally. But, the housing is way more expensive there compared to North Adams.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:20 PM

746 posts, read 3,490,290 times
I would echo the Willliamstown option, since it borders North Adams and the two are a sort of the odd couple of the Northern Berkshires. The difference is that in North Adams you can almost buy a mansion for $300K but you will get far less house for the money in Williamstown.

I can not give you info on the merits of the differing school systems, and that is often pretty subjective in any case. In terms of the children's classmates, I quite honestly would prefer to be in school with the Williamstown children rather than North Adams. There are very many poor, uneducated parents in North Adams whose attitudes don't reflect high goals for achievement. The remnants of the factory workers who used to populate this community still linger on, and hold it back.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
I would echo the Willliamstown option, since it borders North Adams and the two are a sort of the odd couple of the Northern Berkshires. The difference is that in North Adams you can almost buy a mansion for $300K but you will get far less house for the money in Williamstown.

I can not give you info on the merits of the differing school systems, and that is often pretty subjective in any case. In terms of the children's classmates, I quite honestly would prefer to be in school with the Williamstown children rather than North Adams. There are very many poor, uneducated parents in North Adams whose attitudes don't reflect high goals for achievement. The remnants of the factory workers who used to populate this community still linger on, and hold it back.

I agree 100 percent. Many many parents do not value education which in turn affects the students attitudes and frankly the school staff as well.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM

34 posts, read 126,081 times
Thanks for the replies. My only concern with Williamstown is an earlier posting that descibed it as "clubbish". Are the people there nice or does "clubbish" mean "snooty"? I appreciate all the help.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 PM

My friends are Indian. They have meshed well and been accepted into the community. Honestly I don't think you will have a problem Live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids and you can't go wrong.

With your concerns about getting a good education for your kids, you will be a good fit for Williamstown.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 PM

You know I forgot to mention Dalton. Dalton is right next to Pittsfield and I think their high school was pretty decent. Also the housing stock is much less expensive. You may want to check it out. Many of my husbands old co workers lived there and were very happy.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 PM

746 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongamonga View Post
Thanks for the replies. My only concern with Williamstown is an earlier posting that descibed it as "clubbish". Are the people there nice or does "clubbish" mean "snooty"? I appreciate all the help.
There certainly is a streak of clubbishness around here, as well as that sort of insular stand-offish attitude among large numbers of people who have lived here all their life. But there are also a lot of interesting people who are anxious to meet other interesting people, those whose idea of worth do not depend on where you were born, or what your place is in the pecking order.

You might say that it's no different around here than it is in any small town or city, or large one. Some people are just blind to making new friends, and others are open to it. But find them you will, it just takes time. Children help shorten the process, too.

I would say the people in the Berkshires are among the nicest you will meet. They just aren't very likely to invite you over for coffee. Strange, I know. Still can't figure it out.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:26 PM

123 posts, read 472,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongamonga View Post
Williamstown is a small college town, with lots of graduates who go in to make money and retire back in the old college town. Thus, half the adults in town are 'Ephs' or employed by Williams College. Since it is an elite college, there can be an elitist air to it, although it is not nearly as snobby as you may find in other similarly placed colleges.

When the summer theatre season comes around, then you see the fancy cars and the very well dressed visitors from New York. It is a lot of fun, though. I spent a summer seeing free plays as an usher, and bumped into the likes of John Malkovich and Paul Newman in the street. This sort of thing can rub some people the wrong way, so if that does not sound like fun, you might not care for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts