U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 99,732 times

Advertisements

My family and I recently relocated from MD and we are researching towns to live in. We did a whirlwind driving tour this weekend and really liked Hopkinton and Holliston. My husband's job is in Framingham.

Does anyone know if either of these towns has an active mom's group? How about town activities... festivals, parades, holiday (Christmas) celebrations, concerts in the park? My children are age 4 and under. Does anyone know about the Catholic Churches?

Thanks in adavance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 AM

13 posts, read 99,732 times
Thanks Johnnycakes! I'll check into the water situation. Things like this I just do not think we'd know to look into without people like you!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 12,235 times
Default Water Problems in Holliston?

Since you mention problems with water in Holliston you may want to know the facts. I've lived in Holliston since `78.

We did have issues in town. One issue was due to paint crew that showed up on the job before they were supposed to and started to paint an area outside one of the water treatment plants. The paint fumes were pulled in to the air vents that put air in the water. This was not a problem with the water as much as it is with someone else poor planning. THe plant needed to be shut down before the work started period end of story.

Another issue with water is an issue you will see anywhere with bacteria levels that were out of norm. The issue was handled in a mannor.

On both occasions the town used their revers 911 system to notify effected households. This problem could occur anywhere it is nice to know the town has such a system.

As for "Mom" program, Holliston is a close nit town. There are a lot of activities you can be part of.

Hopkinton vs. Holliston is a good question. Hopkinton has just recently gained value in the town. Likely due to EMC since they have a number over very large facilites in the area and Hopkinton is right off the highway.

There are parades and events but I would not say they are selling points of the town. This is more of a traditional New England town.

We would love to have you as a neighbor come on in. Oh by the way Holliston is typically a hard town to move in to. The schools have been rated high and often keeps the values up in town.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,235 times
What the article fails to spell out is that this is a common problem. Somehow the water was contaminated. Maybe due to a problem with a plan. Maybe due to a problem with a broken pipe.

In the last several years we have had.

1) Broken water main in town. (Like everyplace else pipes are old)
2) The article you mentioned.
3) An issue with a plant being painted on the wrong day.

In all 3 occasions Holliston responded effectively. Could it be better? Answer is always yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts