Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM

39 posts, read 129,547 times

Advertisements

I agree that the Boros are great. Stay away from Marlborough unless you are looking for an urban feel. The schools are not considered their strong suit.

I love Northborough. As a mom myself, I've found many stay-at-home moms, a great rec. dept, lovely town parks, choices of good preschools, events at the library (which is currently being rebuilt) and outstanding schools. We have great restaurants, spas, pick-you-own farms and an active Newcomers Club.

Actually, I cannot say enough good things about the schools. We have been fortunate that our children have had many wonderful, caring teachers and are excelling academically and socially. It's nice that there are 4 elementary schools because each one has a small, neighborhood feel. Some kids bike to school and the playgrounds are open for moms to come with toddlers.

Homes in Northborough are reasonably priced and you get a lot of quality for your dollar. There are a range of home types available as well as a variety of neighborhood types (new developments, older "woodsy" neighborhoods, rural areas and dense neighborhoods.

Send me a direct message if you have any other questions, if you'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 13,449 times
That sounds so nice! We were also thinking (based on 'net research, he will go up there on the 5th, and if it goes well we'll both go back the following week to look) about Framingham, which looks like it would be about a 20 minute commute. Does that sound unrealistic? Our current town is really spread out. Even though I have about a 7 mile radius or less every day errand circle, we are used to driving 15-20 minutes to do other things. We were kind of thinking along those lines looking at Framingham.

I'm definitely going to look more into Northborough and Sudbury too!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:47 PM

Also, do these areas have mother's morning out programs for toddlers? Our 23-month-old currently goes to play twice per week for a couple of hours, making errands so much easier! If we end up there, am I going to have to give that up?

And what about preschools? We may be doing private school starting around pre-K or kindergarten with some grandparent help (I can't believe how expensive MA private schools are!), as we had originally planned on private school in SC. But if we end up in a town with stellar schools we would reconsider.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM

967 posts, read 4,772,247 times
There are several mother's groups in the metrowest. I think I have a list somewhere that the Hopkinton mother's organization put together of preschools not long ago.

Sudbury schools are excellent. Northboro & Southboro are also very good. I don't think Framingham is on the same level.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Maybe this is a Southern thing. Mother's Morning Out here is a program (usually in a church day school or day care) where moms can drop their babies off with caretakers for a couple of hours in the morning once or twice a week. It's mostly used my stay at home and work at home moms with kids ages 3 months to 3 years. For the toddlers it's like a structured playdate. My son looks forward to it every Tuesday and Thursday morning, and I go grocery shopping, steam clean carpets... whatever is on the to-do list that week. He love it and has a whole little crew that he runs around with and now we meet them at the park with their moms sometimes. Is there anything like that up there?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts