Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,462 times

Advertisements

My husband is flying up in a couple of weeks for interviews with a company in Marlborough. We currently live in South Carolina, where I am a stay at home mom to an almost 2 year old. We are very active in the community and are used to taking our son to children's events, mother's morning out, pools, parks etc. Is there a community that fits this description? We would be looking to purchase a house in the $400k to $600K range to start, and probably moving to something bigger in a couple of years. Where are there towns with lots of young families, stay at home moms, play dates, social and volunteer activities? We are also total foodies, so good restaurants are helpful, too!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 22,237 times
New Hampshire isn't far from there.
New Hampshire has no state income tax and no sales tax

But Property taxes are high

The area your looking in has many small towns within the price range you mentioned try Bolton

Old 08-16-2008, 07:59 AM

967 posts, read 4,774,895 times
Sudbury would be an excellent bet - lots of stay at home moms, family/community activities, town pool, stellar school system, lovely neighborhoods. There are a few restaurants in town but tons in adjacent town of Natick.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:03 AM

967 posts, read 4,774,895 times
More info on Sudbury at Massachusetts Town Information- MA Community data - Boston.com and about Sudbury, MA; top Massachusetts public school system (http://www.positiverelocation.com/pages/comm_Sudbury - broken link)

Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,069,292 times
I second Sudbury. Borders on Marlboro, great schools, nice community. Your price range will allow you something nice there.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 13,462 times
Great website, thanks! I love the photo of the kidspace. How far is Sudbury from Wellesley? Would it be unreasonable to think that Sudbury is close enough to Boston to get involved in some volunteer work in the arts or some other nonprofits there? Also, we are an interracial family. It is actually something that rarely comes up here and we don't think about it often. We are in a university town and both grew up here, and we have known most of our friends since elementary school. But I have heard that the Boston area can be difficult for that sort of thing... or is that just on the southern side of Boston?

Also, does anyone know anything about The Center for the Arts in Natick?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:45 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,069,292 times
I know a bit about TCAN through my son's involvement. Also, Metrowest magazine (I think that's the title) did a piece on TCAN a few months ago.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,467,207 times
Depends on where in Sudbury and Wellesley you need to go and traffic... around 30 minutes (~13 miles)

One thing I want to caution is... what type of town you want to live in? Sudbury is fairly rural without a center of town and very little sidewalk... most drive from here to there.

As to friends since elementary school , it actually happens more than you think in MA... especially for towns with lower taxes... It happens a little less in Sudbury as median property tax is $8K/yr... many leave when kids are out of school.

You may want to checkout DeCordova Museum and Sculpture Park in Lincoln, MA

Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,467,207 times
Not sure what type of Art you're looking for .... I forget to mention that Newton and Brookline has a fairly big art community.

Newton Open Studios

Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM

735 posts, read 3,493,962 times
Check out some of the 'boros'. - Northborough, Westborough, Southborough. I also recommend Ashland & Hopkinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts