Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 PM

646 posts, read 2,661,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisemarie View Post

But here's what I LOVE about Franklin - the people are so friendly, the proximity to Providence, Boston and the Cape is just wonderful and there is an amazing school for the performing arts that is building a new campus that will expand it's already amazing programs. It's a big (30,000 residents over 27 square miles) town that feels like a small town. It's safe, clean and parts of it are very pretty.

It's a special place - but by most conventional measures (schools, retsurants, library, etc) I think it can't hold a candle to towns like Wellesley, Lexington, Belmont, etc.

Wow...........things sure must have changed ,when I was at school there (Dean) the people in town hated anyone having to do with the college.Sorry but with my experince I must disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM

9,916 posts, read 15,482,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Wow...........things sure must have changed ,when I was at school there (Dean) the people in town hated anyone having to do with the college.Sorry but with my experince I must disagree.
I believe she's talking about the Franklin School For The Performing Arts, not Dean.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I believe she's talking about the Franklin School For The Performing Arts, not Dean.
???.I thought this post was about Franklin Mass?

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 AM

9,916 posts, read 15,482,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
???.I thought this post was about Franklin Mass?
Yes, it is about the town of Franklin, Mass.
Not about Franklin County in Massachusetts

This is the Franklin School For The Performing Arts: About the School (broken link)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, it is about the town of Franklin, Mass.
Not about Franklin County in Massachusetts

This is the Franklin School For The Performing Arts: About the School (broken link)
Good I thought so,Franklin was a great little town and I remember it well ,it was just that the town folks were'nt very freindly.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,583 times
I am reading this forum and everyone's comments and I may be relocating up in Mass. and friends that live up there mentioned Franklin because of a lot of the things all of you are mentioning.
Many schools are going through tough times as well as where we live now in North Jersey and in one of the most expensive counties. So teachers getting laid off is not uncommon, sad but and unfair to our children but again not uncommon.
From what i have been reading it sounds like a great place. Much larger of a town than where we are from but that small town feeling. If we end up there I hope the people and kids are friendly so our children can adjust.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:54 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,157,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggiecam View Post
I am reading this forum and everyone's comments and I may be relocating up in Mass. and friends that live up there mentioned Franklin because of a lot of the things all of you are mentioning.
Many schools are going through tough times as well as where we live now in North Jersey and in one of the most expensive counties. So teachers getting laid off is not uncommon, sad but and unfair to our children but again not uncommon.
From what i have been reading it sounds like a great place. Much larger of a town than where we are from but that small town feeling. If we end up there I hope the people and kids are friendly so our children can adjust.
As previously, Franklin has a very good mix of things. There are, as others have noted, other places in Mass. that top Franklin in most categories. There are towns with better schools, with fancier and/or more extensive shopping, etc. etc. But for a complete package, Franklin is pretty competitive. Nice downtown? Check. Good schools? Check. Transportation access? Check. Nearby shoppping? Check. A range of housing options and prices? Check. Well run government? Check. Good infrasturture? Check.

Indeed, Franklin would probably be a very hot commodity were it not for one thing -- it is a long commute to Boston. Yes, people do it every day -- the commuter rail goes there, after all. But it's a real hike, and a daily drive to downtown Boston (or nearby city locales) is really out of the question. But if you can't afford the pricey, upscale suburbs of MetroWest and don't need to commute into the heart of the city, you could do a lot worse than Franklin.

(No, I don't live there, or work for the city or chamber of commerce. I just know people there and think highly of the town)

Old 05-29-2010, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,006 times
I grew up in Franklin and graduated in 1996. It's a nice town like the previous poster mentioned with the typical suburban issues. Mainly there isn't a whole lot to do for teenagers so drug use is a problem for the younger kids. 5 kids in my graduating class died of drug overdoses both while in HS and shortly after. And these kids were "normal" white middle-class with good families. From talking with friends I met in college and whatnot that is par for the course in those settings. Some better some worse.

I got out of there because I find a more urban setting much more appealing and i work in Boston. But my grandparents moved there from Italy a long time ago so basically my whole family lives there and they are very happy. Another bonus is the large Italian population lends itself to some good food as many of them opened restaraunts to earn a living. Though the competition from the lovely franchises has gobbled many of them up So basically, if you don't work in Boston and are looking for a suburban setting you can't go wrong with Franklin. I know my parents MV on their house has taken a beating too so if your looking to buy you might be able to find some value

Old 05-29-2010, 05:05 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Compared to other towns in Mass, Franklin and the vicinity around it seems very vanilla and residential to me. The only thing that stands out in my mind is the Wrentham outlets.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Compared to other towns in Mass, Franklin and the vicinity around it seems very vanilla and residential to me. The only thing that stands out in my mind is the Wrentham outlets.
Hahah true true. Do love those outlets. When I go there I see license plates from as far away as CT and NY. People do like their deals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts