Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 13,928 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I moved to Charleston, South Carolina 4 years. I grew up in Wellesley and lived in East Boston and the North End for 15 years. Met my wife and we both needed to go someplace WARM! We stopped in Charleston on our way to Florida.....never left and DON'T regret it for a second. Charleston is so much like Boston....only smaller and WARMER! Great restaurants, museums, tons of history and good schools. Plus, our property taxes are 1/10 what they were in Boston.
Anyway, I've been thinking of getting a newcomers "BOSTON" club going for a few years......finally, I'm going to do something about it. With the playoff season (baseball) coming up and NFL ready to get into full swing....I though this would be a perfect time. Just throwing this out there. What do you think?
Please fell free to contact me with any questions that you may have about the area!

P.S If you're coming down....please bring Nissen Top Split Hot Dogs Rolls!and get ready for the best shrimp and oysters you'll ever eat!!
Paul PEJENKINS (at) gmail (dot) com

Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,961,222 times
If everything is 'so great' and property taxes are so low in SC- who pays for this high quality lifestyle>? There is no 'free lunch' SC schools, and quality of life rate far lower then Massachusetts and New England.

According to Forbes
SC rates at 46th of all states for quality of life; Massachusetts rates 7th--- comparing the Bay state which rates in the top 10- with a state that ranks near the bottom is a no brainer.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 AM

7 posts, read 32,117 times
how can there be great quality of life here in Boston when people are all slaves to their homes and property taxes and winter lasts from november to april? I agree with the sc poster that life outside of boston is definitely higher qaulity of living. My husband and I are getting out of this state and moving to NC and will get a brand new home with 2,000+ sq feet for under $250,000 and property tax is 1/2 what it is here. There are great schools; great people and most of all- warm weather.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM

35 posts, read 114,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
If everything is 'so great' and property taxes are so low in SC- who pays for this high quality lifestyle>? There is no 'free lunch' SC schools, and quality of life rate far lower then Massachusetts and New England.

According to Forbes
SC rates at 46th of all states for quality of life; Massachusetts rates 7th--- comparing the Bay state which rates in the top 10- with a state that ranks near the bottom is a no brainer.

Wow.... All the post was saying...if you are moving to the area.....let's get together!!

Quality of life has nothing to do with what I wrote! Although, MY quality of life is as good...maybe better than when I lived in Boston! And...I'm NOT talking about SOUTH CAROLINA.....I was talking about CHARLESTON, South Carolina. Sort of comparing New Haven, Conn with Darien, Conn. or Roxbury with Beverly Farms!

ps. This is SMokin Murph, but I had to re-register because I entered the wrong email addy before and could not log-in. Paul

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-18-2008 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: no personal attacks

Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 AM

469 posts, read 1,446,327 times
Default I can't agree with that.

Having lived in Texas most of my life (I did live in MI for a year and got to visit Boston last Oct), I would happily trade places and move back up north! The only downfall is that it is so expensive.
We have a 4 bdrm, 2 bath home, 2300 sq ft, (one story) that was purchased for 120k. I know the cost of housing is pretty cheap here in the Houston area, but the weather sucks -hot & humid most of the year, no seasons, terrible traffic, so on....
I understand that everyplace has its ups and downs, but I would prefer to live up north, with all the beauty, the history, the changing seasons, ect.
I LOVE the weather there!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 AM

9,909 posts, read 15,470,751 times
Please stay on topic, guys.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
evy

3 posts, read 14,264 times
My husband and I live on the Cape. He wants to move down south for many different reasons. Warm weather is one of it We have traveled to Florida, TX and GA. But we heard a lot of great things about Charleston SC. Cape is beautiful, but it's so slow off the season. There is nothing to do here in winter. We would like to go and visit Charleston. What is the average temperature? How are the people down there? What are the best things to do?

P.S If you're coming down....please bring Nissen Top Split Hot Dogs Rolls!and get ready for the best shrimp and oysters you'll ever eat!!
RE: SUUUUURE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 PM

9,909 posts, read 15,470,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evy View Post
My husband and I live on the Cape. He wants to move down south for many different reasons. Warm weather is one of it We have traveled to Florida, TX and GA. But we heard a lot of great things about Charleston SC. Cape is beautiful, but it's so slow off the season. There is nothing to do here in winter. We would like to go and visit Charleston. What is the average temperature? How are the people down there? What are the best things to do?

RE: SUUUUURE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Evy, Charleston is a lovely city, but you'd probably be better off asking those questions on the SC forum.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:41 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,263,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshug922 View Post
how can there be great quality of life here in Boston when people are all slaves to their homes and property taxes and winter lasts from november to april? I agree with the sc poster that life outside of boston is definitely higher qaulity of living. My husband and I are getting out of this state and moving to NC and will get a brand new home with 2,000+ sq feet for under $250,000 and property tax is 1/2 what it is here. There are great schools; great people and most of all- warm weather.
peace out

Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,035 times
Hello, I am planning on moving down to Charleston, SC from Boston, MA in late August and currently have no job prospects! I just graduated with my masters in social work and would like to work in a mental health clinic or school setting. Does anybody happen to have any contacts in the mental health field in Charleston or neighboring cities/ towns? Also, I will bring Nissen Top Split Hot Dog Rolls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts