Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 03:44 PM

106 posts, read 682,204 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here live in Salem? I am wanting to move to Salem within the next two years (the sooner the better) and want to know what it is like to live there. How is the job market? What is the apartment scene like? Are there alot of things to do that don't cost alot? How do the established residents treat newcomers? How reliable is the public transportation system? I am hoping that this move will be my last for a long while and want to know everything that I can about the area. I have always wanted to go to Salem because of the history. This will be a big move for me and I will be doing it on my own. Any and all info would be welcomed, good or bad. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 AM

50 posts, read 252,666 times
Your best bet is to investigate the apartments and job market yourself, you know what you're looking for. Check craigslist, monster, realtor, etc. dot.com

Salem is a nice little city. I like it a lot. The population treats newcomers fine, it's the way some long-time residents treat other long-time residents that gets frustrating. There are deep grudges that run in the city that go back all the way to the witch trials, and if one group of long-time residents approve of one thing, the other group will automatically disapprove of it. That makes it difficult to get much done in town, but it's getting better.

It is very touristy. Particularly in October. If you live downtown, plan on lots of traffic around Halloween. Lots and lots of traffic. As a whole you might find traffic sort of heavy. Public transportation is ok, I guess, you'd really be better off with a car, but you can get around with buses alright. There is a commuter rail into Boston. And it's pretty easy to live somewhere where you can walk to what you need.

Inexpensive stuff? Hmmmm....they have a very good library. There are a few free concerts in the summer. Define inexpensive I guess. It seems like there's always a way to find something to do for short money. Oh, the Essex-Peabody Museum is an amazing museum, world class, and they give Salem residents a huge break on admission.

There's a large pagan population in Salem, so if you're fundamentalist christian and/or biblical literalist, you might find it a little uncomfortable. But if you're non-judgemental about that sort of thing, you'll be fine.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 AM

106 posts, read 682,204 times
The large pagan population is mostly what draws me to Salem. I have always lived in areas that if they did have a pagan population then they tended to keep to themselves and rarely talked about their beliefs even if it was with someone of similar beliefs. I like how open everyone seems to be in that area judging by the number of pagan stores. I have also been tossing around the idea of getting rid of my car once I move. I am thinking of getting a bike for the warmer days and using the buses for the colder days. What I mean by cheap is under $20. Around here I have to consider the cost of gas into any event I want to do because everything is so spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts