Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,641 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the Upper Western MA area and haven't a clue where to begin to look to live. My husband is getting a job in North Adams. Here's what we're looking for:

Most important- a great school system. Safe, not too rural. Right now within 10 minutes we can get to: 4 grocery stores, target, walmart, best buy, old navy, lots of other stores. Would like to live somewhere similar. A nice mall and restaurants within 45 minute drive. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 01:26 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBoysAndOnePrincess View Post
We are looking to relocate to the Upper Western MA area and haven't a clue where to begin to look to live. My husband is getting a job in North Adams. Here's what we're looking for:

Most important- a great school system. Safe, not too rural. Right now within 10 minutes we can get to: 4 grocery stores, target, walmart, best buy, old navy, lots of other stores. Would like to live somewhere similar. A nice mall and restaurants within 45 minute drive. Thanks for any suggestions.
North Adams has 3 supermarkets. 1 Natural foods store in Wiliamstown, next door.

WalMart in North Adams, Target, Best Buy and Old Navy at Berkshire Mall in Lanesboro, half hour away. Lots of farm stores and stands especially in season within half hour drive. Good restaurants everywhere, as well as burger chains. Low crime rate. School system is not something I know firsthand.

Housing prices very affordable in north Berkshire county. North Adams tax rate surprisingly low, yet decent city services. Lots of natural outodoor activities, parks, museums and cultural activities throughout the Berkshires, too. Take a visit before relocating to get a sense of the place.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:46 AM

44 posts, read 164,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
North Adams has 3 supermarkets. 1 Natural foods store in Wiliamstown, next door.

WalMart in North Adams, Target, Best Buy and Old Navy at Berkshire Mall in Lanesboro, half hour away. Lots of farm stores and stands especially in season within half hour drive. Good restaurants everywhere, as well as burger chains. Low crime rate. School system is not something I know firsthand.

Housing prices very affordable in north Berkshire county. North Adams tax rate surprisingly low, yet decent city services. Lots of natural outodoor activities, parks, museums and cultural activities throughout the Berkshires, too. Take a visit before relocating to get a sense of the place.
where did he get a job in N.A.?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post

I went to the CanyonRanch there a few years ago - fell in love with the place. I am a culture hound. I thought I'd like to rent for a few weeks this summer to get a feel for the place before committing. So I need a CHEAP place to rent - none of the "for the tourist trap" cutesy cabins for a million bucks a month.
I'd like a normal persons house as a sublet. Is craigslist the best option?
I also need to be IN a town where I can walk places and be in the culture center of the area. Where should I look? I am not artsy fartsy or weird artsy - more young fogey type artsy - I support the arts and am a writer myself. I'd hang out at Tanglewood and places like that..is there good regional theater there also?
I am sorry to hear Lowell has fallen from grace - last time I was there it was quite charming. BTW My idea of charming is Kent CT. which I cannot afford!

thanks!

12b you can pm me if you'd like...

Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times
I'll jump in here, too. My husband just interviewed at the hospital in North Adams, and we're thinking about the area for that reason.

We'd be moving from a small town on the coast of Maine. How far would the commute be from the Albany area? I am thinking that since I am a lawyer, that area might hold more employment prospects for me than the Berkshires.

And like the OP, we would want good schools, safe communities, and to not have to drive an hour to the mall.

Any suggestions for towns that might suit our needs? As for price, it seems like Williamstown is on the expensive side, but I know that's a relative term. Could we get a 2500-3000 sq ft home with 4 bedrooms and 2+ baths, with .5 acre and updated kitchen for under $400K anywhere?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 AM

14 posts, read 76,487 times
Default Right Around North Adams

I am a born and raised resident of North Adams and I think you will find that the City is progressivly changing for the better. We have felt the recent pinch by the fallout of the real estate market and to put it quite simple - it is now a buyer's market. Did I mention that I also am a real estate developer who has recently completed many projects in the area? That aside there are many 4+ bedroom homes in the area that are no more then a five minute drive from the hospital that I think you would find very affordable. I have brand new construction 4+ bedroom 2.5 bath homes in the neighboring town of Clarksburg (one street up from the hospital) for well under 400,000.00. Williamstown is still very overpriced for the present market. If you are looking for some ideas on costs chesck out the following site: Moresi & Asscoiates - Home

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,360 times
Wink life in the berkshires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBoysAndOnePrincess View Post

the mayor in north adams has been turning things around the past 15yrs with better housing,better businesses and other things.i also heard lowes store is coming to north adams.the prices have gone up alot on housing and apartment rentals,the mortgage rates are alot higher,and so are renting prices,heat,hot water and electricity.but north adams housing is probably more affordable than down here in pittsfield,although certainly plenty of housing to choose from here in pittsfield,plus several schools nearby with several new restaraunts that opened on downtown north st.then several more restaraunts in eastern pittsfield.we got a farmers market at the berkshire mall,we got another farmers market on downtown north st.several little farm market stores that sell all kinds of food on crane ave and over on cheshire road.we got an old country kitchen restaraunt up in lanesborough and its a great place to eat.we got several stores to shop at out in eastern pittsfield in allendale and coltsville,then over in the berkshire crossing shopping complex area,then the berkshire mall up the cheshire road with 90 plus stores and restaraunts,plus a new restaraunt is moving in at the berkshire mall where the former ground round used to be.its so easy and very simple of getting around here in pittsfield,and pittsfield is only 20 minute drive from north adams.so you got alotta good housing to choose from,then good schools to choose from,then good places to eat,good places to shop at your local grocery store and video store,therefor a real nice area and plenty of to do and have fun.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,271 times
For that budget I would look in Williamstown Lanesboro or Lenox for the school systems. I'd even look at Southeast Pittsfield neighborhoods off Williams Road or Holmes Road but you'd want to look into private after elementary or school choice for highschool. Williams El (Southeast Pittsfield) is one of the best in the area. Also you could check out Dalton. The schools there are not (Berkshires in general) so stellar.

The mall in Lanesboro is okay. Now there is a Target which is a big plus. The Berkshires though are great for kids, lots of berry picking, farms, lakes, wildlife etc. Also the Berkshire Music school is top notch and extremely reasonable for lessons if you kids are wired that way. Skiing is very accessable at local mountains and the kids can take lessons starting very young. Albany is about 50 minutes away.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,484 times
Today I found a small collection of architectural photos on North Adams posted on our local arts website, which will give you a fairly good idea of some of the more interesting houses and buildings in North Adams. There are dozens of glorious Victorian and Edwardian houses just waiting to be rescued, and a few art deco and arts and crafts ones as well.

North Adams' Stunning Architectural Details - Berkshire Fine Arts

Most of the houses are on Church Street, near the center of the small city. There are other streets running off of Church that also have spectacular "painted ladies" to be enjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts