Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 AM

571 posts, read 557,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I knew Ken's as a great steak house in the late 60's before I left the area. I think my parents knew the place as Vaughn Monroe's, The Meadows.
I was there about 6 months ago. Not terrible. Not stellar, either, but better than the chains. They have multiple rooms so they open them up as needed. When we went it wasn't packed, but wasn't dead, either. That was a weeknight I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 AM

23,087 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
That building must have been demolished at least a decade ago. I've always been surprised how long it's just sat there as a vacant lot.
I guess I could be wrong, but I don't recall anything ever being demolished there other than the Sears Auto Center which was further in. The Applebee's was built from the ground up some time in the 2000s, and a few years later IHOP moved into the same building after it closed.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I never got to eat at Fontaine's but I know my parents ate there many times in their younger days and I've rarely met a fried chicken I didn't like.
It was mouth watering good. But I digress, in that most fried chicken these days leaves a lot to be desired (KFC is barely edible). I guess that's probably for the better, LOL. It seems like nobody is willing to cook food the way it is supposed to be these days, unless you want to pay top $$$.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 AM

3,146 posts, read 2,069,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I guess I could be wrong, but I don't recall anything ever being demolished there other than the Sears Auto Center which was further in. The Applebee's was built from the ground up some time in the 2000s, and a few years later IHOP moved into the same building after it closed.

It was mouth watering good. But I digress, in that most fried chicken these days leaves a lot to be desired (KFC is barely edible). I guess that's probably for the better, LOL. It seems like nobody is willing to cook food the way it is supposed to be these days, unless you want to pay top $$$.
Sofia's sits there now there was a wing joint at the corner of VFW and Bridge St.
If I remember correctly the last price I paid for a hefty bucket of fried thighs and drumsticks was about $12 and 3 people could dig into it.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 AM

8,525 posts, read 13,906,155 times
Quote:
Hmmm . . . if you're talking about the area near where Sears was (it just closed) in Dedham then there is still an IHOP there. I don't remember it starting out as an Applebees but I could be wrong. The one you're talking about has an UNO's right next to it, correct and it's sort of in front of the Super Stop & Shop. I think this plaza is the former site of Levitz Furniture IIRC.

There was another IHOP (or maybe Bickfords) down the road in W. Rox that was demolished years ago and was an empty lot for a long time. I think they may have just started building something there finally. It's sort of in front of the Home Depot.

Quote:
Sorry I missed it. It was still open when I moved to Newton after college about 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Sofia's sits there now there was a wing joint at the corner of VFW and Bridge St.
If I remember correctly the last price I paid for a hefty bucket of fried thighs and drumsticks was about $12 and 3 people could dig into it.
It's Sofia's now. I think prior to that it was a steakhouse called Vintage for a number of years.

I also remember the wing place on the corner. I think it was called Wing Stop or something like that. It definitely had "Wing" in the name. That opened (and closed) while I was living in Newton. I moved there about 20 years ago and moved out around 11 years ago. So, it existed during that time period.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,585,524 times
I miss the Boloco in Natick and Wellesley. Pretty healthy for a quick bite. I have no idea why they decided to close. They seemed to do a good business at all the locations.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Hmmm . . . if you're talking about the area near where Sears was (it just closed) in Dedham then there is still an IHOP there. I don't remember it starting out as an Applebees but I could be wrong. The one you're talking about has an UNO's right next to it, correct and it's sort of in front of the Super Stop & Shop. I think this plaza is the former site of Levitz Furniture IIRC.
Yes, that would be the one next to Uno's. The new S&S is a little further back from where the Levitz was and the old S&S was razed to make way for the Dicks and that end of the plaza.

Quote:
There was another IHOP (or maybe Bickfords) down the road in W. Rox that was demolished years ago and was an empty lot for a long time. I think they may have just started building something there finally. It's sort of in front of the Home Depot.
That was an IHOP. Last time I went by, I do believe there was something under construction there. Not far from there was the Hunan Pagoda (Chinese) which is now a Lebanese place (can't remember the name, but I would highly recommend it).

Quote:
I also remember the wing place on the corner. I think it was called Wing Stop or something like that. It definitely had "Wing" in the name. That opened (and closed) while I was living in Newton. I moved there about 20 years ago and moved out around 11 years ago. So, it existed during that time period.
Yep, Wing It. Was pretty decent...That place later became the Spring Street Cafe, it may still be there IDK. Before Wing It, the Parkway Family Restaurant was there for a long time and before that there was another restaurant ("Charlie's" or something?).

Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 PM

8,525 posts, read 13,906,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I miss the Boloco in Natick and Wellesley. Pretty healthy for a quick bite. I have no idea why they decided to close. They seemed to do a good business at all the locations.
I was actually quite surprised when that happened myself. I remember doing some Googling and came upon an article or a press release about it.

Apparently, one of the owner's of bGood got his first restaurant job at BOLOCO and is still friendly with the owner. According to whatever I was reading BOLOCO is not doing so well. bGood on the other hand is doing really well. So, the owner of bGood agreed to buy a few of the BOLOCO locations to help out his old friend.

Quote:
Yes, that would be the one next to Uno's. The new S&S is a little further back from where the Levitz was and the old S&S was razed to make way for the Dicks and that end of the plaza.
I don't remember that being an Applebees originally, but I probably would have ignored an Applebees because I have no interest in going there.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I don't remember that being an Applebees originally, but I probably would have ignored an Applebees because I have no interest in going there.
It didn't survive long, they seem to have closed many locations in that time frame. But I agree, Applebees is the kind of place I would go when it is 1130 at night and the only place open in town where you can still grab a beer and bite to eat.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:15 AM

3,146 posts, read 2,069,188 times
Quote:
That was an IHOP. Last time I went by, I do believe there was something under construction there. Not far from there was the Hunan Pagoda (Chinese) which is now a Lebanese place (can't remember the name, but I would highly recommend it).
("Charlie's" or something?).
That is now Al Wadi which has pretty good Mediterranean style Lebanese.
If we're getting nostalgic about this strip of VFW i think ARBY'S needs a mention.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
If we're getting nostalgic about this strip of VFW i think ARBY'S needs a mention.
York's Steak House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts