Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,504,024 times

Advertisements

The Inglewood Diner, Peabody Sq. at Ashmont Station.
Back in the day,the best 3AM breakfast around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,504,024 times
Mondo's, corner of A and Melcher.
The second best 3AM breakfast around.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 AM

4,881 posts, read 13,744,360 times
The only place in Dahhchesta for good eatin' at all hours was Linda Mae's on Morrissey Blvd.
Another dead diner: the appropriately named Tom Thumb, on Cummington St near the now-also-gone Nickelodeon Theater.
RIP Bob the Chef's, never the same after being turned into a "Southern bistro," and now even that's no longer here.
Does no one else miss Dixie Kitchen on Mass. Ave near Berklee?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 AM

102 posts, read 446,634 times
Default Elsie's...and the Sizzleboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Jimmys Harborside Restaurant. My grandmother would always take us out to dinner there when she was in town.

Elsie's, Zum Zum and that all night hot dog place Tastee's in Harvard Square.

Genji Restaurant on Newbury St.

Warburton's... I loved their Cornish Pasties.
I loved the burgers at Elsie's. I think they even had knockwurst! Thanks, great memory of a vital part of the past charm of Harvard Square! Also, how about the Sizzleboard in Kenmore Square, Boston? I remember this place in the late 1960s as a quick-serve sandwich place where an angry young hippie waitress once yelled at my Dad for not being able to make a decision on what to order within five seconds of entering the building. What a great day. We also went to Fenway Park that day and Tony Oliva's bat went flying from his hand after a swing and almost knocked us out. The combination of a Tony Oliva bat almost hitting us in the face and an angry hippie waitress at Sizzleboard is, no doubt, a well-known societal menace. I guess it just wasn't our day, but at least the food at the Sizzleboard was very good despite the boorish, dimwitted service!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,750,121 times
Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

There was a place called Bebop Burrito in the Garage in Cambridge. Last time I was there, there was a chowder hole there in its place. Coming from the West Coast, Bebop Burrito was a godsend. Man, it was good... to this day, some of the best Mexican I've ever had, and certainly the best in the Boston area. It shuttered in early '98, and from then till I left Boston in '02, there was basically no good Mexican in the whole of the city My family has told me there are some good places that have popped up since, and now Chipotle has a presence there, so you can get a Mission-style burrito, at least. But I still miss Bebop Burrito...

Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,886 times
S&M New York Deli on Beacon Street. "S&M deli -- we cater." Think it's still there.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,419,516 times
Let’s see:

--Riley’s Roast Beef in Lawrence, MA. Don’t know if they exist somewhere else any more, or were bought out. (Harrison’s in North Andover is better, anyway).

--Not sure about Howard Johnson’s (restaurants, not hotels/motels). I though there were only a couple remaining in MA (I remember the one on Rt 2, way out in western MA, but I think it is gone).

--A&W Root Beer…. Here in New England. The REAL ones, where you drive in and they put the tray on your window. Last one I was at (2 years ago) was in Michigan. You know, where the root beer wasn’t pasteurized, so when you bought a gallon of root beer it was only good for a few days.

--The Hilltop Steak House went right down the hopper. I went there since I was 6 years old, for over 30 years. The waiting line outside used to take an hour or so.

--I am drawing a blank, but there was a restaurant in Kittery ME that had an absolutely phenomenal breakfast/brunch buffet. How many places serve cheesecake for breakfast? Gone now, as it is now a bunch of condos. Was right across from the Ben & Jerry’s.

--The Brass Pineapple, in Winchendon, MA. Don’t know why they started a restaurant way out there of such high caliber, but I must say it was in the top 3 of any restaurant I ever went to.

--'Mrs and Me', in Lawrence MA. The true definition of a greasy spoon, and wonderful. If I recall they opened at 11PM... absolutely wonderful

--Cajun restaurant on State Street in Newburyport... drawing a blank as to the name of it.. Owned by one of the docs at Anna Jacques... Not many place in New England that you can get fresh alligator. The bread pudding was to die for!

I could go on for hours.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,396,437 times
Ah me. The Swiss Alps in Harvard Square, which was actually in a basement. And speaking of Germanic style, the Black Forest up Mass Ave. But then, Casa Mexico (another place for troglodytes) and George & Nick's, alias the Athenian Taverna, which was upstairs. The Cottonwood Cafe. Dare I say, La Pinata? Oh, we're getting old.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM

387 posts, read 911,573 times
Oh, I still miss Deli Haus in Kenmore Square. Half of my early memories of my (now) husband are there.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,424,127 times
Skip's in Chelmsford. Good lord it was horrible but my parents loved it. They went once a week and sometimes dragged us kids there as a "treat". I shudder!
I remember the Lum's chain from when I was a kid. Key lime pie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts