Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:05 PM

9,910 posts, read 15,470,751 times

Advertisements

There were a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 08:40 AM

14,191 posts, read 14,546,848 times
In the late 60's there was a Pewter Pot in the heart of Harvard Square.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:59 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,015,182 times
What was the IHOP/Friendlys copycat chain, had one on Route 1 sohth in Saugus?

Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 AM

14,191 posts, read 14,546,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Bickfords??????

Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 AM

8,524 posts, read 13,898,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo1944 View Post
Anyone remember a restaurant in Dedham that was behind the midway cafe that closed awhile ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
^Maybe the White Dove, that was across Washington St.?
I remember the White Dove. My grandmother used to like to eat there because they had a cheap twin lobster special. IIRC it was sandwiched between the rotary and East Street. They tore down the building not too many years ago (restaurant sat empty for years) and there's a mixed use building there now with apartments upstairs and a liquor store on the 1st floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander617 View Post
Do you mean the Applebees that became an IHOP? That was no great loss.
Where was there an Applebees that became an IHOP in Dedham? The only IHOPs I can think of along RT1/VFW are the one in front of Super Stop & Shop in Dedham but they built that brand new when they built the shopping plaza around 10 years ago and the other one is way up in the far end of Norwood near the Walpole line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
While it was not technically a restaurant, this one goes way back.

Does anyone remember the blueberry muffins from Jordan Marsh in Downtown Crossing
in Boston. It was just beyond entrance to Jordan Marsh from the MBTA.

Those blueberry muffins were amazing.
Those muffins are legendary in the Boston area. After JM closed the head baker there opened his own shop and sold them for years. He retired a while back and he agreed to publish the recipe in the Boston Herald. My mom has a copy at her house and makes the muffins from time-to-time. They also sell them at Jordan's Furniture around the holidays. They must have made some kind of licensing deal with the company that bought JM (was it Macy's maybe?). Many area bakeries claim to sell "Jordan Marsh" style blueberry muffins as well. I even was on the Cape this year and walked into a bakery in Osterville Center that sold them.

If you do some Googling, you can find the recipe all over the internet. Here's a discussion about it over on Chowhound:

https://www.chowhound.com/post/john-...-recipe-662061

This is one place I found the recipe:

https://newengland.com/today/food/br...berry-muffins/

This site felt like the typically circulated recipe didn't seem quite right and made some interesting tweaks:

https://www.afamilyfeast.com/real-jo...uffins-recipe/

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Bickfords??????
I don't know anything about Saugus (not sure I've ever even gotten out of the car there). However, that must have been Bickfords.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:26 AM

9,910 posts, read 15,470,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Those muffins are legendary in the Boston area. After JM closed the head baker there opened his own shop and sold them for years. He retired a while back and he agreed to publish the recipe in the Boston Herald. My mom has a copy at her house and makes the muffins from time-to-time. They also sell them at Jordan's Furniture around the holidays. They must have made some kind of licensing deal with the company that bought JM (was it Macy's maybe?). Many area bakeries claim to sell "Jordan Marsh" style blueberry muffins as well. I even was on the Cape this year and walked into a bakery in Osterville Center that sold them.

If you do some Googling, you can find the recipe all over the internet. Here's a discussion about it over on Chowhound:

This site felt like the typically circulated recipe didn't seem quite right and made some interesting tweaks:

Supposedly, the Muffin House Café in Medway makes them.

Home

Old 11-12-2017, 05:02 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,015,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Bickfords??????
Yes, thank you! Three beers aren't good for my memory.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:36 PM

23 posts, read 27,205 times
The Hill Top Steak House in Saugus, was a fabulios place

Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,124,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I remember the White Dove. My grandmother used to like to eat there because they had a cheap twin lobster special. IIRC it was sandwiched between the rotary and East Street. They tore down the building not too many years ago (restaurant sat empty for years) and there's a mixed use building there now with apartments upstairs and a liquor store on the 1st floor.

Where was there an Applebees that became an IHOP in Dedham? The only IHOPs I can think of along RT1/VFW are the one in front of Super Stop & Shop in Dedham but they built that brand new when they built the shopping plaza around 10 years ago and the other one is way up in the far end of Norwood near the Walpole line.

I don't know anything about Saugus (not sure I've ever even gotten out of the car there). However, that must have been Bickfords.
The Wholly Grain on Shawmut Ave. in the South End claims to have Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins for years now. Haven't dropped in in awhile but I assume they're baked, hopefully on premisis, daily?

Never had one of the JM blueberry muffins, so can't compare. I think Wholly Grain makes them with a hard sugar coating, which I so hate in muffins. Did JM drop sugar on their blueberry muffins?

Old 11-13-2017, 06:40 AM

9,780 posts, read 7,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Guy View Post
The Hill Top Steak House in Saugus, was a fabulios place
That's what I thought as well until I went a few years back hoping to catch some nostalgia. The food was okay but the atmosphere was sad. No wait, dining rooms 75% empty, felt dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts