Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 AM

87 posts, read 363,191 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm an ad writer looking to get out of New York City and into a liberal, small or mid sized town with a lot of trees and grass.

The city needs to have some advertising agencies or other opportunities for a copywriter (University, marketing firm). Also, I'm considering making a move into the healing arts so a community of acupuncturists and at least one Reiki master would be great too.

Also, I'm looking to cut my rent substantially. I can live within 400 sq feet, but I don't want to pay more than $650 for it.

ARE THERE ANY TOWNS THAT MIGHT FIT THIS PROFILE IN MASSACHUSETTS?

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM

18,612 posts, read 33,184,922 times
Uh, I don't think so. There's precious little for $650 anywhere (and I mean tiny), never mind somewhere shiny enough to have the features you want.
If you were willing/able to share, I'd suggest Brookline or Newton. Brookline is the perfect urbane area, although somewhat lower on trees and grass than an exurban town. Newton is grassier. Both are sophisticated, affluent, diverse communities with lots of the features you mention. However, in your price range, the only think I can imagine is a share of a nice place or an OK place, or some sort of house-sitting arrangement. There are lots of seniors in Newton especially who might have big old Victorians and would really appreciate having someone else on the premises- not for actual care, just to be there for some safety, maybe to carry groceries and such. Both towns are great for public transportation. Brookline is on several train lines right to Boston. Macrobiotics started there in the 1970s. No shortage of alternative practicioners and so on.
I think a New Yorker would feel right at home in either town.
Good luck. It's so troubling that housing costs dictate so much of life up here.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:10 PM

87 posts, read 363,191 times
Thank you so much for the good info. I will look into Brookline and Newton!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:28 PM

284 posts, read 1,163,057 times
You might want to look into Amherst or Northampton, MA. Substantially cheaper rent than in Boston, though certainly not as urban. There are many liberal, free thinking folks there. Other towns in Western MA might suit your needs check out the Western MA Craig's List pages.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:44 PM

862 posts, read 1,042,455 times
Northhampton-out side Boston-where 650 will get u a parking space-most MA towns arent all that liberal really-.I like Pittsfield and Grrenfield and I'm very liberal but
from a working-class background and yuppies irritate me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts