Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 07:26 PM

102 posts, read 446,559 times

Advertisements

With too many empty storefronts and not enough interesting shops currently in business, downtown Walpole, MA, needs to be energized. It actually has the makings of a potentially great downtown including three town common areas (one area to be dedicated to a local fallen Soldier; a wonderful idea), historic buildings and churches, a great local pharmacy called Betro's, the Fresh Start Bakery, Jalapeno's Mexican restaurant, and some amazing old homes on Common St. The classic small-town New England feel is waiting to come out in its full glory, but has been hindered, in my opinion, by town politics which, in some sectors, have not fostered welcoming new businesses and letting empty storefronts stay that way. Really, there's no excuse for the old Kahana Chinese restaurant to be vacant since, seemingly, the Sheng Dynasty.

What's on your "wish list" to make downtown Walpole a better place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM

9,898 posts, read 15,461,978 times
Eric, is there any kind of downtown merchant's association that you know of? If not, they should form one. Whatever happened to that Wings place?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM

270 posts, read 1,354,999 times
Default Good potential but...

You are right Walpole could have a nice downtown. I don't really know what happened in Walpole to let our downtown to fall apart so much---we just moved here last year...
But here is my wish list: the old foundry building needs to be torn down, the train station needs a makeover with a coffee shop and news stand, the corner by the post office (mimis ?) needs to be renovated, more restaurants, clothing, coffee shops in downtown, Kanaha needs to go, nice curbs and sidewalks like some neighboring towns etc

Of course this is a slow process but with the right incentives Walpole could draw all these businesses and changes. Lets do it.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:46 PM

102 posts, read 446,559 times
Default Turning Around Downtown Walpole, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Eric, is there any kind of downtown merchant's association that you know of? If not, they should form one. Whatever happened to that Wings place?
Casey:
There is a Greater Downtown Business Association of Walpole (DBA), as well as the Walpole Chamber of Commerce. I know the Downtown Associates of North Attleborough have helped tremendously in turning its downtown around, so it would be great to see Walpole do the same. It will take a commitment to excellence amongst local and appointed officials getting together with business people, the chamber, landlords and interested residents to potentiate the downtown becoming something special. If it happened in North Attleborough and nearby Norwood and Wrentham, it can also happen in Walpole, I believe.

As far as Wings they closed, and the Harney Dance Academy took over that space. The Dance Academy specializes in Irish Step Dance. It is interesting to note that some of its students traveled to Nashville, Tenn., to compete in the 2008 North American Championships!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,887,537 times
Walpole also has Memorial Pond, which is very close to downtown. Whenever I'm in the area (usually at the Vet nearby) I walk over there. It appears to be underutilized, and it could be very nice.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,554 times
I lived in Norwood for 6 years and recently moved to Walpole and by far Norwood has a much better downtown. The difference I see is that in Norwood there is always some form of activity or people walking around (especially teenagers). In Walpole it's like a ghost town, everyone is either in their houses or cars. And your right, not enough businesses are open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts