Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,592 times

Advertisements

Hi,

How long does a commute by car take from Cambridge (where I would live) to Westwood (where I would work)? Google maps says 33 minutes, but judging by the traffic I've seen in the area, I imagine it could often be much worse? I'd need to arrive in Westwood by 10am, and I could leave around 7pm, so perhaps the off hours might help me dodge a little of the heavy commute hours. Is traffic going to be a problem all hours of the day?

I don't really want to own a car. Luckily, a car pool should be available.

I'd love to take a train instead, but it seems that it would take at least an hour. My job is near the Islington Station, which has the Franklin commuter rail line. I imagine I could take that to south station and then transfer to the red line. An hour commute is too much for me though

I want to live in Cambridge, it seems to be a uniquely suitable place for me in the Boston area. (I'm a single guy with no kids, and I'm not looking to buy a house anytime soon)

Thanks!

Last edited by mirzlet; 09-10-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 04:39 PM

118 posts, read 479,995 times
i dont think u will have any problems around that time. i usually take an xtra 10 min off maps depending on how u drive. and looks like u will driving outside of boston on the 128 corridor. so u should be good. less than 1/2hr i would say give or take

Old 09-10-2008, 07:38 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
You'll be going mostly reverse, so that should I help. I'd guess 40 minutes give or take--it takes me 30-35 minutes from MIT to Westwood on Saturday mornings with almost no traffic. I don't think it would better in a reverse commute during the actual workweek .

The train takes about an hour (I live near Islington and work in Cambridge). Where is your company located? I can't think of much that would be a short walk from Islington station--it's pretty residential.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,592 times
Right on, hooray for reverse commute Thanks for the helpful info!

My job is at an office park about a mile south of Islington Station, near the intersection of Providence Highway (1) and Everrett St. It's not a short walk, but I'd be up for it when the carpool falls through. Maybe I could take a bike on the train in that case.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Westwood is definitely not the place for young single guys, so I think living in Cambridge will definitely be worth the hour of commuting you'll do a day.

I think I know the office park you speak of--that intersection is in Norwood but it's relatively close to the Islington station. It's about a mile if you brave walking on the sidewalk-free Providence Highway--a bit more if you go the way with sidewalks. Certainly not unthinkable to walk that distance but it might be hard with lots of snow.

If you take a bike, you also have the option of the Route 128 Station, which is about 2.5 miles away and would make a good backup for those times when the Red Line makes you miss the Franklin train.

Depending on where you are in Cambridge, the fastest route to drive may be 93 or it may the Turnpike to 128...if there is ever a major incident on either you should be able to take the other, which should make driving that much better.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:44 AM

118 posts, read 479,995 times
hey man where are u living now? try places like brookline area, i think that is pretty suitable for someone young and single. lots of chicks floating around whether it be college girls or just young professionals. not to familiar w/ cambridge but brookline or chestnut hill area has some nice hangout spots as well as eateries. and its atleast alittle closer to westwood.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts