Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
Whats Wellington Station? (Orange line)
Sullivan station is less then a mile away from South Medford (Orange line)
+ the "inconvenient" in your opinion commuter rail (purple line)

I think you have enough options when it comes to trains and buses.
I did forget about Wellington, but it is no where near Medford town center, which is where the nicer neighborhoods are in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,222 times
Default Medford

I'm a transplant from an affluent south shore town and moved to Medford with significant reservations . . We lived first in a neighboring town for 3 years before purchasing a home in Medford. I can say that I stand happily corrected, especially now that I have children. Medford is a city for kids and families - the commitment to the sports programs - soccer, hockey, skating, t-ball, little league, etc - all year long and family activities, especially those supported by the Medford Family Network and the Community Schools programs, far exceed those offered in other areas. As for the schools not being "good" I wonder if that comment is from someone who has children in the schools and what their basis for saying that is? The fact of the matter is Medford actually does very well and the school system's commitment to children begins in the very early grades. I have nieces and nephews in the middle school and high school that are all doing well and have bright futures ahead of them. My own are in elementary school - they children are engaged, happy, and excited about learning . . . their teachers are remarkably gifted and dedicated, challenging the kids and encouraging them with confidence. Medford sends numerous students off the college on both academic and sports scholarships each year. So what's not good?

As for neghborhoods, there are several good ones to pick from . . West Medford, Brooks estates, Lawrence estates, to name a couple . . .It's a dafe city and has plenty to offer like a "town" . . .

Proximity to the city, major access roads, the airport (back road and highway route) cannot be beat . . .

We are actually looking to move to a bigger home and at first we thought elsewhere nearby - Arlington, Winchester - but then we took stock of what we have here in Medford and compared . . .Our first choice is to stay in Medford and find something bigger . . .

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Talking Meffa/medfid

Medford isn't bad they have a nice river walk along the mystic river and sailing/river sport activities available on the mystic river which leads out toward the Charles River! (You could live in Medford and have your motor boat at the Medford Boat Club and take it out into the harbor whenever you wanted (You have to go through the locks in Somerville tho)

You are close to the MIddlesex Fells and Mysitc lakes for recreation, and close to the major highways....lots of businesses and services in the area and you are not far from Davis Square, Alewife, and Wellington T stations. -
Bus routes frequent Medford as well. Tufts University is right in Medford.
And route 2 is close by for easy access points West/128/495, Western/Central mass. you have commuter rail in West Medford into Town (North Station) about 10 min +/- to Boston.
You are close to nice towns like Belmont , Winchester, and Arlington with plenty of recreation activities and services as well, restaurants, movie theater in Arlington (Capitol theate) etc. Theres the Fresh Pond Reservoir nearby too for walking around/dog walkinge tc. Menotomy Rocks Park in Arlington and the Bike path (Minuteman Bikeway) - from Somerville to Arlington- lexington - Bedford. Schools in medford are good and lots of activities.....

Housing is affordable , Boston standards.

- Jeff

Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
West is the best! Quiet, secure, well-established, diverse, convenient, what more do you need? I'm not holding my breath on the Green Line's extension from Lechmere to that area because that's been talked up for decades. There'll always be NIMBY's and economic slowdowns to block that kind of progress. But a Lowell Line commuter rail stop is within easy walking distance and is the first stop out of North Station. And, as others have said, there's good (at least during and between rush hours) bus service into Medford Square and to the Red Line stations at Davis, Porter, and Harvard.

The far eastern part of the city is centered around Wellington Circle, a congested traffic "rotary" where Routes 16 and 28 meet Middlesex Ave. The MBTA's Orange Line has a station there, connected by tram to a good-sized parking garage. A big condo/apartment development has just gone in which contains a small shopping strip of chain stores and food places, and there's another strip mall on the opposite side of the "circle" as well as the Meadow Glen Mall. In addition to a few other large complexes, there are residential streets which are lined mostly with two-family houses that are 80-100 years old. My impression of this area is that it's insular (99 or more percent Italian-American, lol) and maybe not as hospitable to newcomers as "West" is. That vibe pervades the rest of the city, except for the more "suburban" north side bordering the Middlesex Fells.

Comparable but "nicer" IMHO is neighboring Malden: a better socioeconomic and ethnic/racial mix, broad range of housing options from apartment/condo high-rises by the Orange Line & commuter rail stop to larger older apartments all over town (in two-families, 3-deckers, and brick buildings) to cozy little houses to intact (not "chopped up" into apartments) Victorians. Either Malden or Medford are a fast commute from Boston, with "fast" being a relative term when we're talking about I-93 between 6-10 AM or 3-7 PM.

The next city to the north, yet another "M" town (Melrose), has a distinctly more suburban feel to it. Yards are larger, the Victorians are more imposing, and - a rarity in 2008 - there're an independently-owned drug store AND hardware store in the city center. Affordable housing there is a somewhat well-kept secret, but it's there all right. There are some pleasant neighborhoods chock full of Capes and bungalows in addition to the roomy "Sears 4-square" style houses popular in the 1920's. Apartment/condo buildings line Main St and some of its side streets, and the sprawling Oak Grove Village of "townhomes" has just opened on the Malden/Melrose border right behind the Orange Line terminus. Melrose boasts of having the oldest continuously operating community-based volunteer symphony orchestra in the US, so if you've ever played a musical instrument that doesn't plug in (lol) you might be swayed to move within that community's boundaries based on that alone! Its suburban sensibility is amplified, so to speak, by the fact that there's no bus service after about 9 PM, and no other public transportation except for the commuter rail line which has three stations there.

Given a choice between the three localities, I'd pick West Medford as #1, then Malden as #2 with Melrose a close third. But keep in mind these are the words of a "suburb survivor" devoted to city living.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,833 times
Totally agree with much of the above. I think of Medford as a little hidden gem, where you can still get affordable housing stock and live in a safe (often walkable!) neighborhood, but you're just a zip away from downtown or Cambridge. I live in Medford and if it's not rush hour, I can make it to Arlington, Cambridge, the Burlington Mall, or the airport in 15 minutes flat.

Medford is funny in that it tends to take on the characteristics of the town it's bordering in whatever area you are. So different areas of Medford are similar to Arlington, Somerville, Cambridge, or Malden.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 28,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda View Post
Totally agree with much of the above. I think of Medford as a little hidden gem, where you can still get affordable housing stock and live in a safe (often walkable!) neighborhood, but you're just a zip away from downtown or Cambridge. I live in Medford and if it's not rush hour, I can make it to Arlington, Cambridge, the Burlington Mall, or the airport in 15 minutes flat.

Medford is funny in that it tends to take on the characteristics of the town it's bordering in whatever area you are. So different areas of Medford are similar to Arlington, Somerville, Cambridge, or Malden.
AGREED!!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 28,459 times
Medford is Great!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,774 times
The public schools aren't bad at all. I'm a recent graduate. They're above average, so much so that kids from neighboring towns are always being sent to them registered with fake adresses.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Another side of the coin here.

I've heard a lot of great things about Medford. It seems to be a good place to consider if you're not interested in living a stereotypical suburb. I lived in a similar town in another state and it was very pleasant and friendly and people were very satisfied with the schools. (Of course, the people in the stereotypical, uniformly rich suburb next door believed the schools were awful--the mix of income levels and races too unpredicable.)

Not everyone who can afford to wants to live in towns like Winchester et al, and alot of well educated, creative people have small budgets, and towns like Medford are very attractive to people like this.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:55 PM

33 posts, read 42,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
West is the best! Quiet, secure, well-established, diverse, convenient, what more do you need? I'm not holding my breath on the Green Line's extension from Lechmere to that area because that's been talked up for decades. There'll always be NIMBY's and economic slowdowns to block that kind of progress. But a Lowell Line commuter rail stop is within easy walking distance and is the first stop out of North Station. And, as others have said, there's good (at least during and between rush hours) bus service into Medford Square and to the Red Line stations at Davis, Porter, and Harvard.

The far eastern part of the city is centered around Wellington Circle, a congested traffic "rotary" where Routes 16 and 28 meet Middlesex Ave. The MBTA's Orange Line has a station there, connected by tram to a good-sized parking garage. A big condo/apartment development has just gone in which contains a small shopping strip of chain stores and food places, and there's another strip mall on the opposite side of the "circle" as well as the Meadow Glen Mall. In addition to a few other large complexes, there are residential streets which are lined mostly with two-family houses that are 80-100 years old. My impression of this area is that it's insular (99 or more percent Italian-American, lol) and maybe not as hospitable to newcomers as "West" is. That vibe pervades the rest of the city, except for the more "suburban" north side bordering the Middlesex Fells.

Given a choice between the three localities, I'd pick West Medford as #1, then Malden as #2 with Melrose a close third. But keep in mind these are the words of a "suburb survivor" devoted to city living.

this is very informative, goyguy. I am curious how things are different now in Medford and Melrose. especially Medford, as it seems to have more variety in neighborhoods..

particularly, how would you rate the south Medford area, the parts close to Ball square?

how about schools there? the greatschool scores for elementary schools (i.e. Columbus) don't show much good, although parents' online reviews suggest otherwise. I wanted to know if anyone knows first hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts