U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,294 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to let anyone who is planning on moving to Massachusetts, specifically the Worcester area, that this state is full of pet enthusiasts. There are many parks to walk your dogs, festivals to attend, and pet friendly businesses in the area.
I volunteer at the Pet Rock Festival at Quinsigamond Community College in Worcester and we have an attendance of 10,000, mostly MA residents, every year for the past 10 years.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-25-2008 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: You are right - it is against the rules.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM

17,231 posts, read 30,266,560 times
True, but it's a difficult place to find a rental with pets, almost impossible. I gather other areas are easier than Massachusetts.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 PM

138 posts, read 965,948 times
That's odd you say that. While planning my move to MA, I've noticed it's definitely not as pet friendly as San Diego, where I currently live. No one wants to accept pets (even though mine is just a 25 lb. JRT mix), not many dog parks in the city that you can let your dog off-leash, and there's no Fiesta Island (sadly).

I hope when I actually do move there to find out it's different than I thought as far as my dog is concerned. Would love to be able to do as many things with him there as I do here in SD.

Worcester - I'll check out some Worcester events. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 AM

230 posts, read 1,096,481 times
Boston is super dog friendly. I remember walking to work through the Common every morning and seeing tons of puppies and their owners out to play early in the morning. They'd be right back after work too. I love seeing that :-)

Old 09-26-2008, 07:59 AM

5 posts, read 38,212 times
check the craigs list ads for pet friendly rentals -- there is no shortage. As a landlord and a dog-lover, I always offer the option to have a pet, provided there is a slight increase in the rent to offset wear and tear.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 AM

2,277 posts, read 4,097,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBraemer View Post
I just wanted to let anyone who is planning on moving to Massachusetts, specifically the Worcester area, that this state is full of pet enthusiasts. There are many parks to walk your dogs, festivals to attend, and pet friendly businesses in the area.
I volunteer at the Pet Rock Festival at Quinsigamond Community College in Worcester and we have an attendance of 10,000, mostly MA residents, every year for the past 10 years.

Nice to hear. I lived in Massachusetts for 25 years and summered there before that for 20+ years and miss it so much.

We have 8 cats and 2 dogs due to rescue volunteer activities and so I am very happy to hear the good news.

Also, you have the Tufts Veterinary hospital and Angell Memorial (and the place in Grafton) so you are lucky to be near world class veterinary care.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,656,130 times
Fashion, the farther you get away from the city the better your odds of finding a rental that will take pets. Places like Belmont and Arlington have a dog limit to one or two dogs and other areas you have to get a kennel license if you have more than two. I have four so you can imagine what an uphill battle I had but I didn't give up and refused to give away one dog as everyone told me to.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:51 PM

We only have one, but plan on getting one more. I could never give them away! I know we will find the right place...but I think you're right puffle...finding it in the city is a tad harder.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,656,130 times
When you were planning on moving FashionD? Lived in Socal for over 48 years. Oops, just gave my age away

Old 09-27-2008, 05:50 PM

We fly in a week to check out neighborhoods we're thinking about living in...then from there, we'll see how long it will take us to get all our stuff in order. New jobs, new place to live, shipping some of our furniture.

We're so reliant on our cars here in so cal, that I think we're both planning on keeping our cars for the move and if they're a nuisance to us once we get our routine established, then we'll sell one and keep the other. Does that sound like a decent plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>