Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 02:37 PM

16 posts, read 33,774 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,
I've been lurking on this forum for I think years now, and I've always been impressed with the information and well wishes you all have to share. Until now, though, I haven't had too much to say and therefore have not registered.
I'm a born and raised New Englander (CT and MA) and about a year and half ago my husband and I moved to a very small town in Southern Colorado for a lot of reasons. We're avid hikers and this area is a paradise. We've also got a lot going for us here. I recently started a business that is doing much better than I anticipated it would, and my husband has had steady word doing what he loves. We live in a fabulous house that we love, and it turns out that we have the option to buy it if we want to with owner financing to boot. All in all life is pretty good here.
BUT..... I miss New England. A LOT.
I hate to admit it because I feel somewhat ungrateful of all the good things here, but it's just different. I miss the leaves (FALL!) and the rolling hills and the crazy network of back roads and a million other things. The other thing is that both of our families are on the East Coast along with my super duper best friend, so I guess part of it is that I'm a bit lonely despite all of the friends that we've made here.
I guess my question is if there are any other New Englanders here who have moved out west and what were/are your experiences? Were you homesick? Did you get over it? How long did it take? What sorts of things did you miss the most? What did you do to get past that homesick twinge?
I think I probably just need to give it more time but I wanted to share and see if I'm not alone in this feeling.
FWIW, I'm crossposting this in the CO forum because I think folks there might be able to offer a different perspective.
Thanks for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 04:11 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,121 times
I can not give you all the answers but have to say that I totally understand you. I am not a native New Englander, in fact I am an immigrant from Germany. We lived in CO (Colorado Springs) for 3 years and have lived in MA for a total of 3 years (not in a row). I have to say that I like MA much much better. Maybe because it is more "European". I like even the weather better here. CO is a beautiful state but it is still somehow a dessert. There are a lot of sunny days, and the snow literally evaporates so there is no dirty mush, but the air is super dry and thin, and there is no much of a fall.
Cultural it is 100% different and although both states are very liberal, in CO it is more the outdoorsy freedom that comes to mind (I don't mean to offend).
Will you get over the homesickness?...That depends on your personality. I'd say if you still feel so strongly about your old home, you might never get over it completely. I have never felt very homesick even living in a foreign country, although I am very close to my family back in Germany. I think the key is to stay in touch and visit often. Also the longing is usually not so strong if you know you can move back whenever you want.
Good Luck and Happy Skiing (I assume) this winter!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 PM

22 posts, read 86,887 times
Default coming from the opposite direction

Hi leafchime,

I read your post with a little (sympathetic) chuckle. I am from Colorado, my family is still there, and I am doing everything I can to get moved back. I miss it very much. And the kicker is I've lived in Mass. for 22 years now! I know exactly what you mean about it not feeling the same. Somethings I feel like a cad... NE is charming and beautiful and full of history, etc. I met my (midwestern native) husband here, my kids have been born here, I have many great memories and connections. BUT it has never fully felt like home. And it never will.

Not to be discouraging. I have just come to understand that this is not where I belong, for many, many reasons. You may find that a little more time will ease your homesickness, especially if you are able to make trips back. I wish you luck... and I envy you your Colorado lifestyle!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:40 PM

49 posts, read 188,487 times
We are in Pittsburgh and miss New England a lot. We both went to school in Boston (I'm from mass) and lived in Ct for 10 years. Your post makes me want to cry. We won't be able to get back to Ct/Ma for at least five or ten years if that and we talk about it all the time. I know how you feel. The charm of New England is hard to explain to anyone who had not lived there.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper5 View Post
We are in Pittsburgh and miss New England a lot. We both went to school in Boston (I'm from mass) and lived in Ct for 10 years. Your post makes me want to cry. We won't be able to get back to Ct/Ma for at least five or ten years if that and we talk about it all the time. I know how you feel. The charm of New England is hard to explain to anyone who had not lived there.
I guess all of us New Englanders that left can all cry together. Im another one and I moved all the way to Oregon. Your right the charm of New England is hard to beat, and seems impossible to explain to those that have not lived there. One day we will all get back or at least the general area, its really to expensive for me there I know.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
I am not from NE, but a Ca. native that has lived in Ma. off and on for two years. We moved back to Ca. after living here less than a year due to homesickness. What a mistake that was. We missed NE so much...we found that the Ca. lifestyle was not all that it's cracked up to be...for us and our family and missed the more tradition life, values, nature, culture and general feel that Ma. had. It took us two year to be able to move back to Ma which we did this last November, for good. Lived in Ca. for almost 50 years and never felt more at home until we moved here

Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I guess all of us New Englanders that left can all cry together. Im another one and I moved all the way to Oregon. Your right the charm of New England is hard to beat, and seems impossible to explain to those that have not lived there. One day we will all get back or at least the general area, its really to expens
ive for me there I know.

Do you like Oregon at all? Outside of the major towns, I cant see inland Oregon being as desirable at all but your in quite a nice area huh? I loved Portland when I went there personally but I see myself in MA as the end result. I am in FL but really want to move to MA again, but Oregon also a great 2nd option if you cant afford MA.
Oh and do you find out there that oregonian residents may not be friendly to out of staters? I didnt find that to be the case with me when I went but others complained about it from time to time or those stories some from Cali have when they got there etc...I didnt find the homeless people everywhere to be a problem tho, just some social problems with some of the culture.
In order these are the places I wanna live:

Boston
Portland
Athens GA

Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 AM

230 posts, read 1,142,513 times
I moved to California for 10 years and never ever stop missing the east coast. it's quite difficult. you have my sympathies

Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,146 times
I have lived in Colorado for 3 and a half years now and miss New England almost daily. I grew up in CT and moved to CO to ski, hike, enjoy the liberal lifestyle. I do miss home but am settled here for now. I would say that the best thing to help is to make connections and memories in your new home. I find that every state I have lived in I miss to some degree. It is all based on the memories your create in a particular place and how often you are reminded of them. Every fall and winter I am reminded of New England and end up home sick, but I am beginning to find ways to cut my own christmas tree and go apple picking here. Although it is not the same, I have new memories of skiing until mother's day and hiking fourteeners. If I left Colorado I would miss those things too.
Good luck to you!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
LOL, I left over 20 years ago, have some of my family on the Cape and I'm in AZ. Everyone knows I'm still trying to get back, I don't know what it is about NE but it stays in your bones like a virus. ha ha I order books from the Cape all the time and use them to relax.
The recession has kept me grounded until I've saved up a couple of years. But, mark my words, I'll get back there someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: