Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:31 PM

142 posts, read 358,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforahome View Post
Are there a lot of stores? Is traffic bad? Is the crime as bad as people say? Overall, what is it like in Lawrence?

Why are you asking these questions ? What is your intent ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 19,153 times
Visit Washington Mills Lofts on Canal Street in Lawrence before making a judgement about Lawrence. I have lived at Washington Mills since September 2007 and have found that most of the negative hype the city gets is just that- hype. The city is in the process of undergoing a re-birth. There is a great new restaurant called Terra Luna Cafe on Essex Street. Both Terra Luna and Salvatore's on Merrimack Street offer upscale dining. Salvatore's has a great deck right on the Merrimack River in the Summer and Fall. People are coming to Lawrence from all over which is quickly changing the dynamic in Lawrence. Lawrence is in a great commuter location. There is a commuter rail just around the corner from where I live. You can drive to Maine or Boston in under 45 minutes, and tax free shopping in NH is only 5 minutes away. I love this place.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,523 times
I used to dislike both Lowell and Lawrence but I feel when I move back to MA, Ill have a new set of eyes to the situation especially since I lived in FL. Places like Lowell/Lawrence dont look too bad when you been to other places often times.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
I used to live in both Lawrence and Lowell before I graduated. I had to because I was poor; wouldn't do it again. Lawrence can be very ghetto and scary.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I used to live in both Lawrence and Lowell before I graduated. I had to because I was poor; wouldn't do it again. Lawrence can be very ghetto and scary.

Ive seen that for myself.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 18,800 times
well to me Lawrence is not a bad place at all. yeah it's heavily populated by hispanics, but they aren't bad people. once people here the word "hispanics" they quickly think "Ghetto" but its not. It looks ghetto cause of the old, burned down building/houses, the vacant lots, the people sitting on their porches hearing loud music, but you have to remember that different races have different ways of living. In spanish countries, people live like this and you have to understand that they will continue to be like this becaue that's how they were brought up... nothing wrong with that. Also there are a lot of crimes, but it's mostly drug crimes. If you're worried about your kids growing up the wrong way, drugs don't matter cause wherever you live there will always be drugs and there are white kids in Haverhill, Andover and Lowell that do a lot of drugs too, not only hispanics if the reason is the hispanics. I'm cambodian and I've lived in Lawrence all my life and I am the minority and I never had problems with them. They are nice people, they like all races no matter what color you are. Schools? yeah they're bad, corrupted security guards, corrupted superintendent, but hes out next year and somebody better will take his place and I bet they sure will make lawrence schools a better place. So Lawrence is not ghetto it 's just home to many different races. All these replies are probably comming from white people and I'm not being racist or anything like that or they are just people who live in quiet, low crime cities that are not use to hearing LOUD MUSIC and when they do, they automatically think it's ghetto... Oh and the deaths in the city are not always in the city. Look so far from what I knoe only 3 kids have died form lawrence. 1 drowned IN ANDOVER the other one got shot IN LOWELL and the other one was hit by a car making her the only one who died in Lawrence so realize that the deaths from Lawrence are not done in Lawrence.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 18,814 times
Lawrence is no good at all. The crime rate is up just listen to the news. You can read about it daily on the lawrence eagle tribune online newspaper. I lived there for many years and I'm HAPPY that I'm no longer there is not a very good city. The new name for Lawrence is Santo Domingo because everyone is from there and all the stores are spanish.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-23-2009 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Post homes for sale in classified, please.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:25 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMEGNA View Post
...The school system needs work, alot of work (have a fiend who teaches there)...
Yikes. Wouldn't want to send my kids to school where they hire fiends to teach there!

Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 PM

369 posts, read 964,405 times
I lived in Mass for 19 years and for awhile had a job which required me to be in Lawrence two or three times each week. I got to see every part of that place.

The phrase "Festering stinkhole" comes to mind. (My apoliges to those in residence there.)

Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
I lived in Mass for 19 years and for awhile had a job which required me to be in Lawrence two or three times each week. I got to see every part of that place.
Were you an insurance investigator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts