Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 17,443 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to take a job in North Andover and was wondering how high the cost of living is? I am looking to make about $80K a year... Is this enough to live here? Also, I am wondering about Lawrence. I cant stand and I really cant stand when they steal my stuff. Do I have to worry about them piling into a broke down car and coming to North Andover?

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-10-2010 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: inappropriate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:07 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
It should be ok. I'm not sure the cost of living.

I think whenever there is the talk of a place being "bad" it isn't the location but rather the people that are kinda making it that way.

I might not agree with much of his books but Malcom Gladwell in Outliers made some arguments about Kentucky that sort of apply here as well.

I don't think you have to worry. Lawrence has pretty much the highest unemployment rate in the state
Snapshot--Unemployment rate in Mass. communities in Dec. 09 - Boston.com
As you can see there are huge differences in the rate between those areas

Old 11-13-2010, 04:09 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
Why is the Hispanic population so large, city data says it is 75%.

This doesn't really have anything to do with its problems necessarily I was just surprised by the statistic.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

This doesn't really have anything to do with its problems necessarily I was just surprised by the statistic.
They all flock to places where they can fit right in.

I work in Lawrence and I do not speak Spanish. ( I understand a lot of it but that's about it ). Unfortunately people will walk right in and not even make a frickin' effort to speak English! They give you weird looks if you tell them you do not speak Spanish.

I would not live in Lawrence even if you PAID me. I can't wait to get a job somewhere else so I don't have to deal with that BS on a daily basis anymore.

Oh and check this out:

Obesity concerns school officials » Merrimack Valley » EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 PM

80 posts, read 265,087 times
Lawrence has some HOT chics ! When I used to live in Lowell I met alot of Hot chics from Lawrence.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 17,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

I think ignoring the fact that the number of Hispanics directly correlates to the amount of crime, unemployment and general town down fall would be a mistake. It is statistically proven that when you have more minorities, especially blacks or Hispanics, you have more violent crime. I know all you liberals are going to try and have this comment erased but by doing that your putting your heads in the sand and not recognizing the problem.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 AM

91 posts, read 330,304 times
Two stolen cars, both ended up in Lawrence. Enough said....

Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 36,703 times
They're right! That's why Spain has the highest crime rate in the world!!!! Wait a minute...

Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Fair enough to note the frequent correlation between an area's racial composition and its crime rate. AS LONG AS you don't start making assumptions that certain ethnicities intrinsically have poor character, the ethnic makeup of an area can at least give you a clue as to what the crime rate MIGHT be. You still need to do some checking, though, if you're thinking of moving to an area, or crossing it off your list. You're likely to find that the crime rates in affluent suburbs of Atlanta with largely black populations aren't quite in the same ballpark as you'll find in the worst inner-city ghetto areas.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 AM

5 posts, read 36,703 times
It's good to see a rational comment. Correlation between race and crime is very important to note, and as you said crime and poverty aren't problems brought on by race. It would be nice if more people looked past color and more into what makes certain areas the way they are, as I've seen poor and crime ridden neighborhoods of many different homogeneous races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts