Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would buy a house near a highway. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if there was a certain town or school district I wanted to be in & the only way I could afford it was to live near the highway, I would do it. There is a lot of things to consider and I would definitely spend some time at different hours of the day at the property to see if you think you can live with it. You do get used to certain noises over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I would, but would be aware of the issue if reselling. Also, if not planning to resell anytime say, in the next ten years, things can change, and you might need to sell for some reason and be stuck with a property that is less likely to sell.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,305 times
Anyone with experience living beside 95 in Lexington MA? We are considering it for the school but are worried about possible health effects on the kids. Tanks in advance!!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
I was once told to never buy a house on a street with lines painted down the middle.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
If you're buying the house at a rate where the proximity of the highway is factored into the cost (meaning, it costs a fair amount less than a similar house in the same neighborhood that's not right next to the highway) then STOP worrying about resale. If you buy the house because it's one of the few in the neighborhood that you can afford, so will someone else down the line. When you sell, the house will be worth less than others in the neighborhood, which was the same as when you bought it - in other words, it evens out. You buy for less, you sell for less.

The main issues are:
Is it all you can afford in the neighborhood/school district you want?
Is that neighborhood/school district so good, you're willing to live with the noise?

If the answer is yes to all of the above, buy the house. If it's no, then start looking elsewhere.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 11,448 times
We have NOT bought an otherwise perfect house due to proximity to a highway. We agonized over our decision, but a quick review of the literature made us concerned that the possible pollution/health effects were too risky for us (we have young kids). We could have lived with the noise - I think you get used to it after a while. Still sad about that house!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
If you're buying the house at a rate where the proximity of the highway is factored into the cost (meaning, it costs a fair amount less than a similar house in the same neighborhood that's not right next to the highway) then STOP worrying about resale. If you buy the house because it's one of the few in the neighborhood that you can afford, so will someone else down the line. When you sell, the house will be worth less than others in the neighborhood, which was the same as when you bought it - in other words, it evens out. You buy for less, you sell for less.

The main issues are:
Is it all you can afford in the neighborhood/school district you want?
Is that neighborhood/school district so good, you're willing to live with the noise?

If the answer is yes to all of the above, buy the house. If it's no, then start looking elsewhere.
One could also argue that homes in less desirable locations (busy street, near a highway, near a water tower, near high tension wires, etc, etc, etc) appreciate at a lower rate than their counter parts in locations without these defects. From an investment standpoint, you're better off going with a smaller home in a better location. It's not all about money though, these locations are usually considered less desirable for a reason. I have no idea what kind of health effects you and your kids might incur from living so close to the exhaust pipes of all those cars zipping by but I can understand your concerns about it. People don't want to live near high tension wires for the same reason.

It's all about priorities though. If this is the best house you can afford and you absolutely insist on living in this town, then go for it if you don't mind the noise, possible difficulty in reselling it, possible eyesore, and possible health hazards of the location.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
One could also argue that homes in less desirable locations (busy street, near a highway, near a water tower, near high tension wires, etc, etc, etc) appreciate at a lower rate than their counter parts in locations without these defects. From an investment standpoint, you're better off going with a smaller home in a better location. It's not all about money though, these locations are usually considered less desirable for a reason. I have no idea what kind of health effects you and your kids might incur from living so close to the exhaust pipes of all those cars zipping by but I can understand your concerns about it. People don't want to live near high tension wires for the same reason.

It's all about priorities though. If this is the best house you can afford and you absolutely insist on living in this town, then go for it if you don't mind the noise, possible difficulty in reselling it, possible eyesore, and possible health hazards of the location.
The pollution/health effects are a major concern. I don't think I would've been as concerned a few years ago as I am now (after having cancer). Apparently there are detrimental effects if you live within 300 feet of a major roadway, freeway/highway, airport, etc., or if you live a little further out but downwind.

Just on the standpoint of resale value, though, I think if the house was in an excellent school district and a safe neighborhood, which was considered more upscale, then the house value wouldn't appreciate at a lower rate. Again, there will always be people who want to get into the best neighborhood but don't really have the budget, and will choose to go with whatever lower cost house they can find that gets them in there.

I wonder if there's a higher amount of resale for homes near freeways/highways in nice areas, though. I imagine a home in a really good neighborhood near major traffic would be more of a stepping stone for people, not a "forever" home. Which means whatever money the home buyer initially saves in buying near the freeway, could be evened out by closing costs, taxes, etc. of buying and selling within a few years.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
I agree that living 300 feet introduces major health concerns. However, there have been studies that show higher cases of lung problems (asthma, cancer) even if you live within 1/4 mile of the highway. The noise doesn't even bother me - it's the pollution that gets me because I have lung problems. I wouldn't even consider a house within 1/2 mile from the highway (and my current house is about 8-10 miles from the closest highway smack in the middle of 495, 128, Rt-2 and the Pike)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Just on the standpoint of resale value, though, I think if the house was in an excellent school district and a safe neighborhood, which was considered more upscale, then the house value wouldn't appreciate at a lower rate. Again, there will always be people who want to get into the best neighborhood but don't really have the budget, and will choose to go with whatever lower cost house they can find that gets them in there.
There's a much smaller percentage of the population who are willing to make such a sacrifice especially as people become more and more concerned about health hazards as you describe. As things like highways and high tension wires become perceived as bigger health risks it will only serve to devalue those homes further. I've sold families of five two and three bedroom tiny condos because all they wanted to do was be in a certain school system. I didn't like it but that's what they wanted and those were their priorities. In my experience, the vast majority of people do not share the same priorities.

Quote:
I wonder if there's a higher amount of resale for homes near freeways/highways in nice areas, though. I imagine a home in a really good neighborhood near major traffic would be more of a stepping stone for people, not a "forever" home. Which means whatever money the home buyer initially saves in buying near the freeway, could be evened out by closing costs, taxes, etc. of buying and selling within a few years.
I often feel like there are more homes available on busy streets every year. It might just feel that way because (in other years) those homes would linger on the market for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts