U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 12,662 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a home in Norwood. Can anyone tell me anything about the town? How are the school districts? Is it a nice place to live? Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 PM

8,935 posts, read 13,852,983 times
Norwood is sort of a mixed bag. Some neighborhoods are really nice and some are seedy. Downtown has a lot of new restaurants, the town is close to all kinds of shopping areas, transportation and healthcare facilities. The schools are just so-so. I would bet some of the elementary schools are better than others and there are a few private schools nearby.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:04 PM

13 posts, read 88,444 times
Hi, I grew up in the area; spent a few years in Norwood and then in the next town over, Walpole. I think Norwood is a great town: As mentioned, its (newly revitalized) downtown has some fun new places mixed in with some old classics (like the bowling alley that hasn't changed in at least 30 years). It has lots of moderate-sized single family homes, some older, but still with decent sized yards, etc, and so is a good place to look for moderately(?) priced homes still within a short distance to boston (the commuter rail to downtown Boston takes only about a half hour from Norwood).
My impression of the schools is that the elementary schools are good, but the junior high and high school are not so great, but my knowledge of the schools isnt too recent.
Its true there are some not-so-great areas, but this is mostly confined to South Norwood, in the strip between/along Washington St. and Route 1. Most of the residential areas of town are really quite pleasant.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 AM

8,935 posts, read 13,852,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back_east View Post
Hi, I grew up in the area; spent a few years in Norwood and then in the next town over, Walpole. I think Norwood is a great town: As mentioned, its (newly revitalized) downtown has some fun new places mixed in with some old classics (like the bowling alley that hasn't changed in at least 30 years). It has lots of moderate-sized single family homes, some older, but still with decent sized yards, etc, and so is a good place to look for moderately(?) priced homes still within a short distance to boston (the commuter rail to downtown Boston takes only about a half hour from Norwood).
My impression of the schools is that the elementary schools are good, but the junior high and high school are not so great, but my knowledge of the schools isnt too recent.
Its true there are some not-so-great areas, but this is mostly confined to South Norwood, in the strip between/along Washington St. and Route 1. Most of the residential areas of town are really quite pleasant.
That's a fair assesment overall. I like some of the neighborhoods over near the Westwood town line. You could probably get a good buy on a house in Norwood right now. Have you looked in Walpole, too?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM

88 posts, read 384,274 times
As said by others, Norwood is a mixed bag. There are nice neighborhoods away from the big roads. Neighboring Westwood is a richer town with generally fancier houses, but you pay for that. Do check out Medfield if you like less urban living. Its two towns West, and has roomier neighborhoods with a lower relative price premium because it farther from the city.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 12,601 times
Default Norwood - great town

I have lived in Norwood for the last year and have enjoyed the community. Not being from New England I had no clue about all of the variances between the towns. The characteristics I have observed are listed below:

1. Norwood is family-oriented with a lot of support programs run by the town including recreational programs and a decent school system

2. The schools rank better than average on MCAS. The schools on the western side of town (Oldham & Callahan) seem to score a little higher but not a huge difference.

3. The community has strong ties. Many of the people living here have lived in the area their whole lives.

4. I think you get more value for your dollar here. Westwood has much higher priced homes, Canton has much worse traffic, Walpole is further away from town.

The only downside is that it is more densely populated and has more retail than some of the other towns. If you like being close to everything it is a good choice for you.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 12,554 times
Norwood is a great town to live in if you work in Boston but don't want to live in the city. It has 3 commuter rail stops and the ride is only about 30 minutes. I've lived here for 4 years. It has some great restaurants and bars, a couple of good gyms, a golf course, a decent hospital, good friendly people, and the home prices are still reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts