U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 PM

38 posts, read 116,522 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Newburyport area and am wondering which mobile phone service is the best - I have ATT/Iphones and currently live in PHX and they are horrible. I know that ATT works wonderful in Florida, LA, TX, MS etc...

They claim "more bars in more places" except for wherever I am at in PHX. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 07:34 AM

91 posts, read 316,113 times
Most urban areas are fairly good. Keep in mind that with so much emphasis put on historic relevance many place are hesitant to put up tower or are prohibited by the individual municipalities. Verizon performs fairly well in most of New England, but if you start seeing a lot of trees and white steeple churches the chances are that your coverage will suffer.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:59 AM

11,351 posts, read 19,912,851 times
I have AT&T and split my time between Eastern MA and Southern Maine. the ATT on my iphone is fantastic. 3G is readily available most everywhere in Eastern Mass (only trouble spot for me is on some of the more remote beaches, but even that isn't bad) but not in Maine or NH. even where 3G is unavailable, the Edge network is pretty strong. The further north you go, the more problems you'll have (with any network). AT&T has always been there when I've needed it. Having had Verizon up until this past year, I'd say the two are comparable in this area. There are a few spots that VZ covers better, and a few that AT&T covers better, but for the most part, where one is good, the other will be too. As always, urban areas are the best, but you will have a hard time getting away from any signal anywhere in Eastern MA (which is good or bad depending on what you're looking for).

Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 AM

2,979 posts, read 5,336,683 times
AT&T or Verizon should be fine. I have Verizon and have had better coverage than people with AT&T throughout New England. I also know more people who have switched to Verizon in the area...but AT&T should still be fine.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 PM

184 posts, read 635,766 times
You should probably think, not only about the coverage, but things like traveling beyond N.E. Mass and customer service. Though AT&T & Verizon are about equal, most of my friends agree that Verizon's customer service is MUCH better, and has cheaper plans.

My husband has service through Virgin Mobile and their coverage area is very good in Eastern MA, as well has here (we're near Amherst). He also says their customer service is excellent. It's always good to check out the coverage maps on each phone service's website.

BTW, I lived in Newburyport for a year---watch out for those Green head flies at the beach in July& August! Good luck...

Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,392,604 times
I'm in the Newburyport/Salisbury/Amesbury area frequently, and there are only a couple of places where I don't get full coverage with my Verizon phone. My phone is my lifeline, people need to be able to reach me (and vice-versa!) when am out of the office and in the field. I often have to lend my cell phone to customers & clients from out of the area when they have no bars and we are out and about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by restoguy View Post
I am moving to the Newburyport area and am wondering which mobile phone service is the best - I have ATT/Iphones and currently live in PHX and they are horrible. I know that ATT works wonderful in Florida, LA, TX, MS etc...

They claim "more bars in more places" except for wherever I am at in PHX. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts