Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,156 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are relocating to the Boston area from Connecticut. We are looking for a young city with restuarants, shops and an active lifestyle without being in the middle of a city environment. MY boyfriend will be working in the city and I will be working in Franklin, so we'd like to be somewhere in the middle. Ideally, we'd like to be close to the T and access to the highways so it is easy for me to drive to work. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. We are in our twenties and do not have children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:06 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
It's hard to say given the information you provided, but a place to start looking could be the area in Jamaica Plain around Centre St. It IS a Boston neighborhood but the area has a bit more of a suburban feel. It's not a far walk from the Green St. stop on the Orange Line, and Centre St. has a bunch of interesting restaurants, pubs, and shops.

Another area, depending on what you can afford, that is nice is the area around Newton Center (on the "D" branch of the Green Line). Again, interesting little retail/ restaurant district surrounded by mostly a mostly suburban residential area.

I would also consider some of the more "urban" squares like Porter and Inman Squares in Cambridge, Davis (and Maybe Teele?) in Somerville, and Coolidge Corner and Washington Square in Boston. They're a little more urban than JP or Newton, but they're well enough outside of downtown to be a bit quieter (without slacking on the fun). Since you don't have children, you can rent in these areas and probably enjoy them.

All of the locations I've mentioned have a good amount of activity for younger adults. Stoughton Center is relatively safe and a bit more suburban, but it doesn't lack activity either. It's easier to get to by car and it's right on the MBTA's commuter rail line to South Station. I've always personally like Winchester too. It's got a cool feel about it and it's completely suburban centered around a litle village with a Commuter Rail stop connecting to North Station via the Lowell Line. Needham and Wellesley are nice too, but expensive.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,156 times
Wow - this is all VERY helpful. I know my initial question was somewhat vague, and most of that is probably because I have NO idea where to start. I'll be driving to Franklin, so we just need to make sure that I am not commuting too far. I am going to look into the areas you mentioned above. This was so helpful, thanks!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
No problem. Consider Franklin itself too. both are on the commuter rail, and Franklin has a cool little town center area. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
No problem. Consider Franklin itself too. both are on the commuter rail, and Franklin has a cool little town center area. Good luck!
I agree with this. Franklin is a good town with lots to do in town and in the surrounding area, and its right on the commuter rail and close to the highway. The town center is nice, and even has a small college. There are restaurants, shops, and shopping plazas, and while I don't usually consider Franklin a "young" place, I wouldn't rule it out, as its location is ideal for you and it would be easy for your husband to get to work.

Walpole is another town close to Franklin and even closer to Boston, and its right on the commuter rail as well and close to Route 1.

However, both Franklin and Walpole are in the suburbs I believe are composed of a majority of families with children, so I don't think either exactly fits what you are looking for (the young city with tons to do), but they are cheaper than some of the neighborhoods closer to Boston or west of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts